Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Strict drone laws in Palm Beach Fl

Palm Beach wants to regulate drone use in town

Skimmed through the article, they make it sound like this will effect EVERYONE operating a drone within city limits, not only those who use it commercially. Read on, see what you think.
Doesn't sound like it could get much worse than this.
I'm in the next county south.

I sure hope DJI and other companies are considering paying lobbyists with some of that money they are getting from us.
If they aren't already that is.

Tbh,they can put the ordinance in but don't bet on Police actually enforcing it. I'm entering into Law enforcement here in Florida as well,and most departments are so short staffed and busy running "important calls" that they probably won't even bother checking it out unless someone is totally being un safe and are getting multiple calls about it. I wouldn't fret to much over it.

Reactions: dpetroni1
Tbh,they can put the ordinance in but don't bet on Police actually enforcing it. I'm entering into Law enforcement here in Florida as well,and most departments are so short staffed and busy running "important calls" that they probably won't even bother checking it out unless someone is totally being un safe and are getting multiple calls about it. I wouldn't fret to much over it.

Seems laws such as these usually only adversely affect the law abiders.

Seems laws such as these usually only adversely affect the law abiders.
I agree,but most likely they are just put into place for "just in case" reason. If there isn't any laws and let's say someone is flying reckless over a park full of people,even if people call the police there isn't much they can do. With these laws in place,if someone is flying reckless the laws can be invoice and the reckless pilot could be ticked and asked to leave. I see it more as a safety net.

I actually live a bit south of there in Fort Lauderdale. But on occasion i visit friends in Palm Beach & have flown my I1 within city limits on multiple occasions. Always just for fun & within the spectrum of being SAFE. Can you imagine local police getting tons of calls daily about them, diverting police from something important to go check on a drone instead. Lets see how it pans out.

I don't think any town or city in the USA has authority to regulate airspace, that authority is in the hands of the FAA.

I don't think any town or city in the USA has authority to regulate airspace, that authority is in the hands of the FAA.

Well then someone needs to spread the word to all of these counties and towns that are implementing new laws.
Did you ever hear the old saying that you can't fight city hall?

I don't mean to sound like a defeatist but the way things are playing out right now leaves me with little hope when it comes to our hobby.

It occurs to me only the FAA can make rules concerning airspace and in fact what I'm seeing are current FAA rules for commercial UAS operations and enforcement of Florida SB 766.
As for hobbyists it will be interesting to see how a municipality will enforce regulations and how far challenges will go.

Interestingly, the FAA just released a Fact Sheet for local regulators on federal preemption as it relates to UAS laws. FAA Issues Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws

It's worth a read.
I'll take that as confirmation that the FAA is asserting itself as the sole enforcement authority of National airspace. Now let's see how local municipalities handle complaints, will they respond or refer the caller to the FAA? I'm guessing there will be quite a bit of jurisdictional conflict in the beginning. And Palm Beach residents are some of the wealthiest who could challenge the local authorities. Thanks For sharing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccalegalfirm