i like your idea but technically i expect this will take up to much bandwidth between the camera/drone and controller. As you may have seen, it takes DJI 2-3 seconds to take/store a single photo. I can imagine a couple of alternatives that would enable the same result:
- Time lapse photo's given a fixed roation/rudder speed of the drone (the faster the rotation, the shorter the time delay between the shots).
- 1 photoshot per 30 degree turn of the camera/drone
I guess a time laps function is rather easy to implement and may be used for other purposes as well.
Maybe the next thing will be distance-lap photo shooting (i.e. shoot a photo after every X meters horizontally travelled ) .
Also, i guess there are more pressing features to be implemented that were promised:
- IOC-Point of Interest
- 100 Waypoints DJI (Ground-station style)
- Accessible On-Line Flightlog in cloud
Simple App features that I would also appreciate:
- In users flight details, show max horizontal/vertical speed, max. height, and max. distance
- Mail particular flightlog as a CSV or KML file
- Flight/Battery statistics/analytics (preferably with maintenance recommendations)
- Share Flight Details (i.e. the flight-log picture) from Pilot-App directly to Facebook/Twitter
- Line graph with vert. speed, vert. height, hor. distance to home, # satellites, signal strength, battery power, drone heading, and camera heading (Y values) over time (X- values)
- Time-Laps Photo's (with 3s- 30s interval between shots), enabling panorama/gigapixel stitching
I have been thinking about something slightly more complex App Features:
- Aerial Tripod: Toggle use of right stick to either gimbal pan/tilt operation or aileron/elevator operation (allows pilot to act as camera man when hovering)
- Adjust Gains during flight (easy accessible screen with six 0-100% sliders for resp. Thrust, Rudder, Elevator, Aileron, Pan and Tilt Gain, plus a gain "reset" button)
- Follow Me function via Pilot App; Drone follows Controller position, maintains relative height/distance to controller (switched off when left stick is being moved and/or via the App)
I would be jumping through hoops if the DJI folks would implement programmable manoeuvres:
- Auto Pilot with four controls (toggle on/off on-screen or via one of the switches underneath the controller)
- Auto rudder (preferably with adjustable rotation speed, -100% to + 100%)
- Auto elevation (preferably with adjustable backward/forward speed -100% to + 100%)
- Auto aileron (preferably with adjustable sideward speed -100% to + 100%)
- Auto thrust (preferably with adjustable up/down speed -100% to + 100%)
- Calculated waypoints: circle, oval, 3pt. radius, parallel lines, triangle, rectangle, square, hexagonal, octagonal, (with a tick box to get smoothed corners)
- During flight: GoTo WayPoint (in a direct (3D) line or at a specific height)
- 3D Point of View (camera direction) per waypoint, with smooth camera direction transition between waypoints (allows to pre-program a complete video-shoot)
In general; for the I2
/I3 I hope DJI will make the controller programmable like the Futaba 8, 10, 14 or 20 models and add 4 extra switches.
Although I would personally love to be able to zoom in/out (given the height/distance restrictions towards buildings/crowds), this would introduce privacy violations risks, so i'll pass on that request.