Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

T600 MTOW Increase

Reaction score
Hi all

I would to increase my maximum take off weight by 1kg. What’s the best way to accomplish this without a massive spend. Would sourcing V2 motors and ESC’s do the trick? Many thanks in advance

Hi all

I would to increase my maximum take off weight by 1kg. What’s the best way to accomplish this without a massive spend. Would sourcing V2 motors and ESC’s do the trick? Many thanks in advance
Moved to correct section.

Are you talking about commercial or recreational?

Bit of both really. Recreational now and commercial early in the new year
Well commercially you will have a problem since you will be attempting to operate the aircraft outside the manufacturers specifications.
You will need to quote your AUW/MTOW in your ops manual and it will stand out like a sore thumb that you are overweight.
Additionally, your insurance will be difficult to place or void since you would be operating outside the manufacturers maximum.

As for the technical side of things - the V2 motors only give an uplift of around 70kV from memory which is negligible at best. The esc's will make no difference other than marginally higher current rating on the FETS.

I'm afraid in order to gain significant thrust per corner you will need to do some mathmatics based on motor kV, voltage applied (which is fixed with the Inspire airframe) and length and chord/pitch of prop, which again is limited by physical dimensions on the Inspire.
You will be limited on 3315 motor sizing and securing points that are compatible with the fixing points on the Inspire arms/motor mounts.
It would be far more headache than it's worth trying to modify the Inspire 1 to accommodate what you want and even then the CAA are unlikely to grant permission to utilise the aircraft with such a Frankenstein make up.

The Inspire will probably lift the additional 1kg stock but your flight time will be severely reduced and the flight Dynamics will be horrible.

By the time you figure out if the airframe and electronics can handle the extra thrust, weight and current, you'll have ventured far beyond cost-effectiveness. Not to mention that you're still limited by the current the battery can source. And don't forget that a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. By the time you overcome all these hurdles, it would literally be easier to build from scratch or simply buy a bigger bird. That said...

If this is simply a labor of love that knows no financial or chronological bounds, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with and at what cost and if the end product is what you hoped for.

D

Thanks guys appreciate the info. I did think I was barking up the wrong tree. The original reason for asking was a dual battery setup plus the original TB48.

I’m toying with what size batteries to use given the balance between overall weight, endurance and cost. There are many many posts regarding our beloved TB batteries and their failings with lots doing the mod. Some use 2 x 3S in series and others 2 x 3000mah or 4000 6s in parallel.

And remember, when it comes to battery capacity, weight and size, there's a point of diminishing returns.

Because my Phantom 1 was set up in a way that I could use any LiPo battery I wished, it was interesting to see where the weight:capacity ratio returns started to diminish. If I recall, 5400mAh was top of the efficiency bell curve - the "sweet spot" if you will.

The original Phantom series operates on a 3S system. But I took a calculated (well researched) risk on a 4S upgrade. Well wouldn't you know that that not only worked, but my little P1 saw a huge increase in performance and flight time, but I digress...

I guess my point is that, thought the Inspire 1 is a 6S device, I would be curious to see if the electronics could handle 7S or 8S voltage. Of course that kind of modification would be a huge undertaking.

Also worth noting, the heavier any bird gets, the less "crisp" the response to control commands it becomes, and more sensitive it becomes to high winds. So, depending on your usage, that's a factor, as well.

Good luck!

D

Donnie many thanks. Yes the Inspire 1 is 6S. I was thinking of strapping 2 x 6S 4000mah to the purpose made 3D printed bracket. They weigh 600 grams each !

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Donnie many thanks. Yes the Inspire 1 is 6S. I was thinking of strapping 2 x 6S 4000mah to the purpose made 3D printed bracket. They weigh 600 grams each !
The CAA will not accept this for PfCO purposes.
You will be fine for recreational use though.

Reactions: Jimmy6616
I've done some experiments about year and half ago. Inspire1 with x5r camera and two 3200mah 6s batteries mounted on the frame. Both batteries where about 1.2kg, the props where 14.5" carbon from TT (I would never try that with the standard plastic props) and I achieved ~22 min of flying time by 10% battery. The behavior was sluggish but not bad for calm weather and the prep for every flight and all additional batteries (batteries were no cheap) made me to abandon that idea.

Reactions: Jimmy6616

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool