Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tablet disconnecting

Reaction score
Guys,
Been having an issue with my Mini iPad 2. It keeps disconnecting but I still have control of the I1. I'm not sure if its the radio of the tablet that doing it. I replaced the cable and it's keep doing. Do you guys have any idea on what it could be? Is any one else experiencing this issue?

Rick

You know what.. I watch great video's and amazing footage taken by the inspire... but nothing compares to the " butt clenching feeling" of 3k 's worth of my money out there with a blank screen

I don't panic anymore I just wait or punch it high up.. one day it will happen when Im close to a object... tree or something and it will end in tears... my wife's ... coz I always go home in a shite mood when something goes tits up.. even the dog hides now

Reactions: Gary Bateman
I had the exact same thing happen today, I have an ipad2 air connected, luckily I hadn't taken off, so I turned off the inspire's battery then the controller, then restarted the controller then switched the battery back on, and hey presto all was ok.
First time that's happened to me.

I had another strange situation where I was flying in atti mode and somehow it changed to gps mode without flicking the switch or anything, I just flicked the switch to gps then back to atti and it was ok, only thing I have done is the battery firmware upgrade in the last week or so.
It would be good if there were some readable logs to trouble shoot these things.

I'd like to add to this thread.
I have an Inspire 1.
2 controllers .
Last week while flying with Master controller and Slave controller for camera . The Master controller reported lost Signal and then disconnected. After initial panic of losing the bird we realized that even though the APP was saying disconnected, the Master controller was still able to control the Inspire even though all the flight data and telemetry info were dead. We were able to head back for a landing looking over the shoulder of the camera man's iPad for the Slave controller which was reporting no loss of signal or connection. After about 2 minutes everything came back online and the remainder of the return journey was flawless.
Yesterday we went out for a flight after two batteries worth of close to ground and low level testing with no problems thus regaining the confidence we were back up and running.
Today we went set up for a flight but found that now the Slave controller immediately showed disconnected and neither Picture from camera or Data displayed on the iPad.
However we had full control of all of the camera features and the Master controller was showing a solid connection to the slave. Keep in mind that the Slave was showing Disconnected on its App.
We tried new cables on both the Slave and master .
We switched iPads between the slave and master . We even tried an iPhone on the slave to see if that would help. We deleted the Apps from both iPads and reinstalled.
One strange thing we did notice was that whichever device was connected to the slave controller ( 2 iPads - 1 iPhone) would show the calibration window for that device . I'm not sure what the display s called but it is the one that you have to rotate the iPad in a circle to calibrate e its internal compass.
This would every time we switched the Slave controller on when it was connected to these devices.
Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere or that I have posted in the correct thread.
I'm am sure this is a controller issue but not sure what my next step should be.
Thanks in advance
Tony

I'd like to add to this thread.
I have an Inspire 1.
2 controllers .
Last week while flying with Master controller and Slave controller for camera . The Master controller reported lost Signal and then disconnected. After initial panic of losing the bird we realized that even though the APP was saying disconnected, the Master controller was still able to control the Inspire even though all the flight data and telemetry info were dead. We were able to head back for a landing looking over the shoulder of the camera man's iPad for the Slave controller which was reporting no loss of signal or connection. After about 2 minutes everything came back online and the remainder of the return journey was flawless.
Yesterday we went out for a flight after two batteries worth of close to ground and low level testing with no problems thus regaining the confidence we were back up and running.
Today we went set up for a flight but found that now the Slave controller immediately showed disconnected and neither Picture from camera or Data displayed on the iPad.
However we had full control of all of the camera features and the Master controller was showing a solid connection to the slave. Keep in mind that the Slave was showing Disconnected on its App.
We tried new cables on both the Slave and master .
We switched iPads between the slave and master . We even tried an iPhone on the slave to see if that would help. We deleted the Apps from both iPads and reinstalled.
One strange thing we did notice was that whichever device was connected to the slave controller ( 2 iPads - 1 iPhone) would show the calibration window for that device . I'm not sure what the display s called but it is the one that you have to rotate the iPad in a circle to calibrate e its internal compass.
This would every time we switched the Slave controller on when it was connected to these devices.
Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere or that I have posted in the correct thread.
I'm am sure this is a controller issue but not sure what my next step should be.
Thanks in advance
Tony

same exact thing with mine also?

Tony P
"One strange thing we did notice was that whichever device was connected to the slave controller ( 2 iPads - 1 iPhone) would show the calibration window for that device"

Had the same issue with calibration too, as we are flying with two controllers, master and slave, also noticed that the voice over had stopped so when I changed from atti to gps or gps to atti there was no longer an audible confirmation.

You guys think it could be the App not the controller?? I didn't have this issue before the App was upgraded.. Always something..
I can't say for sure unfortunately. A lot of the time there isn't any certainty until we as a community gather together and exchange ideas and possible solutions.
My feelings are that it is a controller issue.
I spoke with customer support today and their suggestion was to try re-installing the firmware.
I will give that a go and see if it makes any difference.
I will report back and see if that had any success.
cheers
Tony

What version of the app are you using? I had the same issues of disconnection when I "upgraded" to iOS Version 1.1.2, but since moving back to 1.1.1 on the Air 2 iPad, no further issues. My theory is the latest app release has a problem. Symptoms included disconnection, forced reboot of the iPad and communication problems and a request to calibrate the iPad. None have appeared in the 1.1.1. version so far.

I am using the latest App.
How did you Roll back the To 1.1.1
I haven't been able to that.
If I can roll back to that version it may give us some indication as to whether its a bug or not.
I spoke with customer support yesterday and after a lot of back and forth ( None of which was suggested to roll back the App) they finally said to send the controller back to them for repair.
But while I am waiting I would love to try your suggestion.
Cheers
Tony

Maybe I need to call them also. I did notice that when it starts to loose the connection if I reboot the Inspire but leave the controller on, the problem goes away. I too would like to get the previous version (don't know where to get it) of the app and try that. Like I said this problem didn't start until I updated the app..

What version of the app are you using? I had the same issues of disconnection when I "upgraded" to iOS Version 1.1.2, but since moving back to 1.1.1 on the Air 2 iPad, no further issues. My theory is the latest app release has a problem. Symptoms included disconnection, forced reboot of the iPad and communication problems and a request to calibrate the iPad. None have appeared in the 1.1.1. version so far.

I too like many others would like to try this, is there any chance of sending the app file (1.1.1) to the admin on here so we could download it or is that against the rules. I was thinking of putting into the resources section. If not could you try and email it to me please. I haven't got much time left due to a terminal illness and sure would like to get some good footage in before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Judging by comments on here if I had to send something away to be repaired I would be long gone before it got back!

Guys,
Been having an issue with my Mini iPad 2. It keeps disconnecting but I still have control of the I1. I'm not sure if its the radio of the tablet that doing it. I replaced the cable and it's keep doing. Do you guys have any idea on what it could be? Is any one else experiencing this issue?

Rick
Did you find a solution for this problem? I recently have been having the same problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have two flight sessions, a total of 6 batteries worth of flying under my belt, and in both sessions I've lost connection on the app. Yesterday the first time ever flying it, on the last battery I finally had courage to get a bit further away, and at 700m the screen went black and got 'disconnected' ... my heart must be pretty good, because it didn't go into cardiac arrest right there on the spot. It sure found a new record for beats per second though.
I knew approximately where it was, and felt it was safe to leave it hovering there while I thought about my options, do I use RTH or what? And as I was thinking of options, it all reconnected and I came straight back. I believe THIS disconnection was caused by a message arriving on my phone, because my iPad Air 2 is on the same account, it possibly had the message arrive as well.
Today I forgot the stupid iPad was on the charger and went out to fly, and had to use my iPhone 6 as the screen. This time I put it into aeroplane mode just to be safe, and flew mostly quite well, and went out to the same place it lost connection yesterday, no problems, I started back to myself, and just as it got into clean clear line of sight, it lost connection again. I simply began bringing it home LOS and within seconds the signal was back again.
Two sessions of flying, and 2 disconnections, on 2 different devices, isn't Inspiring (pardon the pun).
Over here one of these things arrive on your door at close to $6000 and it isn't real impressive to lose your connection to that kind of money at any time. My heart managed to not explode this time, but if it keeps doing it, I'm not sure how much longer the heart will hold up.

I have two flight sessions, a total of 6 batteries worth of flying under my belt, and in both sessions I've lost connection on the app. Yesterday the first time ever flying it, on the last battery I finally had courage to get a bit further away, and at 700m the screen went black and got 'disconnected' ... my heart must be pretty good, because it didn't go into cardiac arrest right there on the spot. It sure found a new record for beats per second though.
I knew approximately where it was, and felt it was safe to leave it hovering there while I thought about my options, do I use RTH or what? And as I was thinking of options, it all reconnected and I came straight back. I believe THIS disconnection was caused by a message arriving on my phone, because my iPad Air 2 is on the same account, it possibly had the message arrive as well.
Today I forgot the stupid iPad was on the charger and went out to fly, and had to use my iPhone 6 as the screen. This time I put it into aeroplane mode just to be safe, and flew mostly quite well, and went out to the same place it lost connection yesterday, no problems, I started back to myself, and just as it got into clean clear line of sight, it lost connection again. I simply began bringing it home LOS and within seconds the signal was back again.
Two sessions of flying, and 2 disconnections, on 2 different devices, isn't Inspiring (pardon the pun).
Over here one of these things arrive on your door at close to $6000 and it isn't real impressive to lose your connection to that kind of money at any time. My heart managed to not explode this time, but if it keeps doing it, I'm not sure how much longer the heart will hold up.

I'm having a similar issue. I've had 100+ flights on my I1 with no mentionable issue. I fly with only 1 controller and iPad Air. Yesterday evening as I was preparing to take off, I noticed the app indicated electromagnetic interference, something I had never seen before. So I performed a successful compass calibration; (I1 went from yellow light to flashing green, and home point set...etc.) but the error was still showing on the app. So I did a full power down of the I1 and app reboot. After that all seemed fine, and I went out at sunset above the water, at approx. 200ft elevation and 600ft distance screen went blank and signal lost....ugh. I could see the I1 was just hovering and I was waiting for RTH to initiate., then I realized I have full control of the craft, just no video or telemetry. As I brought the I1 closer the signal came back. I did another flight today in an isolated wooded area with no possible EM interference. I had the same issue with the compass error, which went away after an AC power cycle and app reboot. And once again, at 100' elev. and 300' dist. the video signal was intermittent but without loss of control. I did notice that the screen would pixelate when I applied forward motion (right stick). In any case once the signal stabilized and came back I completed the flight went out 1000' and up 1000' with no issues.

4 batteries used yesterday no issues at all and flying out to lengthy distances. 5th battery put in and I couldn't get 200 feet without losing the signal constantly, even when it was directly next to me I was dropping connection signal. Can't work it out!

Has anyone come up with a resolution on this issue, after several months I'm still experiencing this issue. The only way to correct it is to turn everything off and re start. last weekend I was out 1500 ft and the **** thing just went black with the disconnection warning. I had to RTH to bring it back since I could not see anything on the Mini iPad.. Another question, is this just happening on the iPad or are other tablets having the same issue..
I appreciate your feedback
-Rick

Just a recommendation but if you guys record in 1080 in most cases it will cure the reboot problems. On some machines the Inspire chokes and reboots when trying to transfer 4K data in fact one of my inspires will reboot every time I try to record in 4K.

Regards

I was about to say I'm now up to 52 flights with no further problems, but then realised I also switched to 1080/60fps rather than 4K. So maybe Mike Mas has a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth