Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Takeoff from ships

Reaction score
Website
www.yulianusladung.com
Does anyone has any experiences on takeoff your I1 from a ships (metal ships/construction such as tanker, tug boat, O&G offshore platform, etc)?

I have found several thread on this forum as well as other forums regarding to this, but who know that someone has recent/updated hands-on experiences or any other point of view on this matter. The reason I am asking, is because I might need to bring my I1 to fly offshore at a O&G drilling location that require me to takeoff from a tug boat/supply boat or an offshore production platform (from its helipad) or even a FPSO, to take some footage of the the offshore facilities.

I1 might not the most suitable tool to help me with the requirement, unfortunately I don't other option for the time being, but to ask for information available from you.

It is so much helpful if someone out there would be so kind to share the experience of flying the I1 offshore with the above situation/location.

I would imagine any vessel,fpso with a dynamic positioning system may cause signal interference of some sort.

Reactions: yulianus
Does anyone has any experiences on takeoff your I1 from a ships (metal ships/construction such as tanker, tug boat, O&G offshore platform, etc)?

I have found several thread on this forum as well as other forums regarding to this, but who know that someone has recent/updated hands-on experiences or any other point of view on this matter. The reason I am asking, is because I might need to bring my I1 to fly offshore at a O&G drilling location that require me to takeoff from a tug boat/supply boat or an offshore production platform (from its helipad) or even a FPSO, to take some footage of the the offshore facilities.

I1 might not the most suitable tool to help me with the requirement, unfortunately I don't other option for the time being, but to ask for information available from you.

It is so much helpful if someone out there would be so kind to share the experience of flying the I1 offshore with the above situation/location.
If you are working offshore platforms I would imagine the owners/operators would not let the Inspire anywhere near it.
I maybe wrong but I would think they will insist on an ATEX/IEC certified UAV to do any sort of aerial work around these structures.
Either that or insurance running into billions. :p

Reactions: yulianus
If you are working offshore platforms I would imagine the owners/operators would not let the Inspire anywhere near it.
I maybe wrong but I would think they will insist on an ATEX/IEC certified UAV to do any sort of aerial work around these structures.
You are 100% correct. Hence, I have no plan to be so close to any of an active platform/production facilities. But still I might need to takeoff from a tug boat/supply boat to capture the structure from appropriate and safe distances (within the lense range). Btw, I saw these guys at Offshore Oil & Gas Inspections | Cyberhawk Remote aerial inspections and surveys using drone for an active top-side flare or other steel structure offshore. Any insight would be appreciated.

I read a storey on linked in a few months ago about a company called IKM Testing using drones for inspection in the North Sea,from the photo it was nothing special.

What are the Acronyms ATEX/IEC stand for sir?

ATEX is the name commonly given to the two European Directives for controlling explosive atmospheres:

1) Directive 99/92/EC (also known as 'ATEX 137' or the 'ATEX Workplace Directive') on minimum requirements for improving the health and safety protection of workers potentially at risk from explosive atmospheres. The text of the Directive and the supporting EU produced guidelines are available on the EU-website. For more information on how the requirements of the Directive have been put into effect in Great Britain see the information in the section Explosive atmospheres in the workplace below.

2) Directive 94/9/EC (also known as 'ATEX 95' or 'the ATEX Equipment Directive') on the approximation of the laws of Members States concerning equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. The text of the Directive and EU produced supporting guidelines are available on the EU website. For more information on how the requirements of the Directive have been put into effect in Great Britain see the section on Equipment and protective systems intended for use in explosive atmospheres.

ATEX and explosive atmospheres - Fire and explosion

A potentially explosive atmosphere exists when a mixture of air gases, vapours, mists, or dusts combine in a way that can ignite under certain operating conditions.
Equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX) cover a range of products, including those used on fixed offshore platforms, petrochemical plants, mines, and flour mills, amongst others.

Equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX) - Growth - European Commission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back to your question, taking off from a steel deck screws with your compass and you want to get some separation between your aircraft and the deck.
Ideally use a Phantom and hand launch/catch and get up and away from the magnetic field of all that steel quickly.

Merhaba/Hello Yulianus,
Inspire 1 is very sensitive to magnetic environment. If you have to take off from a steel deck you may experience compass error. Other than that set your home position to follow TX incase you change position during filming.
I am sure you will do very well.
Good luck,
Ahmet

That is correct in addition to ZERO IR tolerance from any device which can set off a rigs emergency shutdown automatically. The sensors on the I1 and P4 could likely trigger this to happen if proximity is too close. We have flown off of NAVY vessels and amazingly there was no problem. We assume all their electronic warfare gear was not operating...

This statement is not true. I work offshore as An Electrician on a Drilling Rig. ATEX Regulations cover Equipment used or Istalled in Hazardous Environments.Plenty of Companies doing offshore Inspections with Drones.Cyberview for one Google it

This statement is not true. I work offshore as An Electrician on a Drilling Rig. ATEX Regulations cover Equipment used or Istalled in Hazardous Environments.Plenty of Companies doing offshore Inspections with Drones.Cyberview for one Google it
I also have an Inspire and 2 Phantoms recently passed PFAW assessment awaiting Licence from CAA.Depending on wind speed etc I do not see a problem may don't fly to Close to Microwave LOS Dish on fixed Platforms.
A Work Permit will issued from OIM and you should have carried out a Risk Assessment to Mitigate any risks

ATEX certified UAV's certainly. The same as ATEX approved mobile/cell phones must be used in these environments.
Do offshore facilities want equipment that can generate a spark anywhere near explosive environments?
Some UAV's are ATEX certified to work in such places - The Inspire most definitely is not. It also has no redundancy

Will ATEX certify RPA's? Just as we were getting used to UAV as a generic term, Australia will be adopting the term RPA (remotely piloted aircraft) from the end of September. Another reason the media and public will keep referring to Drones.

No I would doubt any of the Certification Authorities would.
The Drone would be Flying in a Safe Area doing any Inspection.
With the resolution obtainable from Cameras you would not need to fly close.

Name me one of any Certification Authorities that has please.
There is no such SUAV on the Market.
If you understood anything about Hazardous Area Zones you would not be writing the Twaddle that you have.(I.e. Zone 1 Zone 2 etc) Dustances involved.

Name me one of any Certification Authorities that has please.
There is no such SUAV on the Market.
If you understood anything about Hazardous Area Zones you would not be writing the Twaddle that you have.(I.e. Zone 1 Zone 2 etc) Dustances involved.
You're right - I must be mistaken.
Forgive me for my twaddle.......
Oh wait a minute maybe you owe me an apology!

If you knew anything about UAV's you would know there is such a thing on the market!

Atex Drone LE 4-8X Dual

New world premiere - First ATEX Certification

I apologise is the Drone ATEX I SEE THE Cameras are and the Controllers.
What is the cost of this and may be required for Oil and Gas Plants on the Beach again I refer you to Distances of Zone 1 or Zone 2 Areas on offshore Production or Drilling Rigs. If you are flying that close to Flare Stack or Derrick that you are within this Zone you are to close to the Structure.

Dear all, thank you for all your kind response and insight, it is so much helpful. I will have the assignment next week and let's see how it goes with all the preparation I made. Will make an onsite video on the upcoming experience, and hopefully it could be useful for anyone who need reference.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips