Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Talking about ND filters

Reaction score
I just made a really long post about ND filters for the Inspire over on my blog if anyone fancies a read. I don't normally go in to that level of science and wouldn't be at all surprised if I made a mistake or two so let me know lol.

I'll be receiving a set of filters from Renaat soon so I'll run something similar with those once they arrive.

http://www.pauljoy.com/2015/06/learning-to-fly-inspire-filters

I just made a really long post about ND filters for the Inspire over on my blog if anyone fancies a read. I don't normally go in to that level of science and wouldn't be at all surprised if I made a mistake or two so let me know lol.

I'll be receiving a set of filters from Renaat soon so I'll run something similar with those once they arrive.

Nice writeup.... Explains a lot about the Filters I didn't know.

Richie

Reactions: Paul Joy
Great post. I really liked the other ones as well. I agree with you 100% about the stupid velcro. Same issue with mine. Looks like we took delivery on the same day!

We're on our 2nd round of filters, these will be screw-on like the stock. But we couldn't source the super-thin lens so we had to extend the threaded ring. Another week we should have a better prototype.

Nice write-up Paul. Finally I see what the DJI ND may be...ND4. I was wondering. I have never shot video at anything but 1/60 since I always shoot 30p for our productions. So, I really need more ND options. I look forward to your future reviews. Thanks again.

Nice writeup. On renaats ND16 filter I am able to get perfect exposure at 1/60 shutter speed in broad daylight. Unless it is unnaturally bright or I am shooting in a snow covered environment the ND32 doesn't come out of its case

Anyone else getting horrible color casting with the Renaat ND filters? The difference between no ND filter and the Renaat ND4 is...noticeable. The difference between the Renaat ND4 and the DJI ND4 is kind of noticeable.

The difference between Renaat ND64 and no ND filter is borderline "can't fix it in post" bad.

Anyone else getting horrible color casting with the Renaat ND filters? The difference between no ND filter and the Renaat ND4 is...noticeable. The difference between the Renaat ND4 and the DJI ND4 is kind of noticeable.

The difference between Renaat ND64 and no ND filter is borderline "can't fix it in post" bad.
Seems ok to me... Colors are natural on the ND16, maybe a touch warm but nothing crazy. Only small issue I have is I seem to get a very slight vignette on the corners when shooting photos in 4:3.

Seems ok to me... Colors are natural on the ND16, maybe a touch warm but nothing crazy. Only small issue I have is I seem to get a very slight vignette on the corners when shooting photos in 4:3.

Man, I don't know...I'm getting very different results. Uploading a video now. Don't want to give Renaat a bad name but also want to be honest about what I find out.

Reactions: gruvpix
What's your shutter speed?
That's precisely the effect we're trying to achieve with filters, it replicates "cinematic" motion blur.

What's your shutter speed?
That's precisely the effect we're trying to achieve with filters, it replicates "cinematic" motion blur.

Well that's exactly what I have achieved since my first serious shoot :)
I don't remember shutter speed numbers as I always just use the zebra lines to adjust my exposure
I ALWAYS use the stock dji nd filter during the day, unless it's really dark/cloudy, (I typically don't shoot on those days anyhow).

I have a NIB polar pro set which I now deem worthless and will sell to whoever wants.
So I can't wait for you to get the Renaat filters and review them, (which is what I really need).

Carl

Most of all my 4k footage shot at 30 frames looks a little blurry (when viewing turns), but is always crystal clear when paused. Is this related to the exposure? (my props are balanced and my bird is super smooth).

Hi Carl, glad it was useful. If you're only seeing too much blur during playback only then it's more likely to be a playback issue due to trying to render 4K footage in real time. Which application are you viewing the footage in?

Hi Carl, glad it was useful. If you're only seeing too much blur during playback only then it's more likely to be a playback issue due to trying to render 4K footage in real time. Which application are you viewing the footage in?

It doesn't matter which program I play back on, (I have several) all the exact same.
I sent you a PM. :)

What stock ND Filter are you referring to? The P3 filter is NOT a ND filter (at least on my bird) its a polarizing filter. Totally different then a ND!

There is only one I could be referring to.
How many ND filters come "stock" with the DJI Inspire 1

Yes the Phantom 3...DUH..and what comes with it is NOT a ND filter..get your terminology right. Its a polarizing filter, NOT and ND. They do totally different things!

This is the "Inspire" forum, (why are you talking about the P3?) I'm NOT!
(I DONT have an P3 and have no idea what it comes with)
I have no idea what the heck you're even taking about dude, what is your point?

Reactions: Kilrah

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop