Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

thinking of buying an inspire

JCT

Reaction score
I am currently doing building inspection with a Mavic2 enterprise zoom and it's doing a fine job. however my boss is wanting to get an inspire, far be from me to discourage this kind of behavior,my question ,is anybody doing this kind of work using an inspire, is there a zoom capability available and is it necessary given the quality of the current cameras, thank in advance

Reactions: DroneTAB
The Inspire is a great unit. I have a 1 and 2. The Mavic is likely giving you more time in the air. The I1 is being phased out and I have heard batteries are hard to get. Still a totally great unit. The I2 is a beast that does a great job. The I1 had a great zoom unit from DJI: Z3. The only way you are going to get zoom on the I2 is using the x5s with some expensive zoom lens (sold separately). Personally I do not think the I2 is the best unit for that type of work. It is a great unit for filmmakers but I have never been a fan of using the get camera results for engineering. You do not have collision management on the I1, only the I2. My 2 bits....

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I am currently doing building inspection with a Mavic2 enterprise zoom and it's doing a fine job. however my boss is wanting to get an inspire, far be from me to discourage this kind of behavior,my question ,is anybody doing this kind of work using an inspire, is there a zoom capability available and is it necessary given the quality of the current cameras, thank in advance
Totally agreed with @S White above. I have the I2 and I just hardly ever use it since my other craft do all of the same things, and some do it better. For mapping and inspections I find my P4P to be the best. You do need at least a X5S camera and zoom lens in order to get zoom features on the I2. As to whether or not it's necessary that depends on what you are doing. For building inspections, I see no need at all for it. I've never had a situation where I said to myself "wow I could really use a zoom lens here". Remember it's a drone so in most cases if you need finer detail you can just move in closer. The level of detail and clarity is amazing with these cameras.

If your boss wants to get it, that's his call. If it were me, I would spend the money elsewhere.

Get a used I1 on Ebay and a Z3. If you absolutely need maximum Zoom then get an M210 and a Z30.
What are you inspecting?

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Concur with LP. One other thing I might add is that to only reason that I use a zoom (actually magnified prime lenses) is to suck the background into the image. I have no need to zoom in closer to my subject. One mistake some have made when flying using a mag lens is that the accuracy of your screen image is inaccurate and it messes with your flying (if you are flying by the screen). My projects are totally filmmaking and thus thus mag lenses play a key role in bringing the background closer. And one final word is do not forget that the more mag the more exaggerated your movements will be (video).

Get a used I1 on Ebay and a Z3. If you absolutely need maximum Zoom then get an M210 and a Z30.
What are you inspecting?
thank for the reply, usually masonry buildings 3 to 20 stories, at times the wind get really weird the higher you get even if it's calm on the ground, the thought of havinfg the unit slammed in to a wall bothers me, there for I try stay a little farther back and zoom in, also at times when damage is found, a close up is needed to expose fine detail

thank for the reply, usually masonry buildings 3 to 20 stories, at times the wind get really weird the higher you get even if it's calm on the ground, the thought of havinfg the unit slammed in to a wall bothers me, there for I try stay a little farther back and zoom in, also at times when damage is found, a close up is needed to expose fine detail
If it's the company's dime, get an M210 and a Z30 .

Yes wind is tricky whenever you get near tall obstacles (buildings, mountains). In my experience, the I2 is not as steady in the air as my other smaller drones. My P4P is rock solid steady while the I2 seems to drift and bob a bit more in similar wind conditions. I've had to do some close up inspections of roofs to look at flashing, joints, and shingle damage. I can get my P4P within 10 feet or so and get incredible detail. I have not tried it yet, but the M2Z should be able to do similar feats but with the added benefit of zoom. It also is very steady in the air and could get into much tighter spaces than an I2.

What are you inspecting?

A neighbor of mine was selling a Z3 for of half market price ($300?). I wanted it for cinematography reasons. After a short test flight, it was clear that it wasn't going to work for cinematography. Even the stills were kind of crappy IMHO. But for "inspection," the Z3 would probably be a good camera. Ultimately, I did not purchase the Z3, as "inspections" is NOT a lucrative market in these parts. This was over a year ago and do not regret that decision.

While I consider the Inspire 1 a fine bird for many reasons, a Mavic Zoom would probably be a much better candidate for inspections. The Inspire 1 is not nearly as stable as the Mavic or Phantom offerings. I notice guys who purchase Inspire 1's after flying Phantom 4's or Mavic often think something is wrong because the Inspire is so "floaty." That's just the nature of the beast.

I keep mine because:

1) It has an HDMI output that works with FatShark goggles.
2) It can fly dual-pilot mode.

That said, I still have an attachment to my Inspire 1 and still use it for construction progress videos. But I'm sure I could my Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic Pro. Honestly, I use the Inspire 1 only because I've always used the Inspire 1 for construction progress videos and I'm afraid of change....<;^) If it weren't for the construction progress videos, I would probably use the Inspire 1 two or three times a year. As it is, I get to use her multiple times per month.

And if I have to do any night shooting, the X5 with a MFT sensor is great for night video or stills.

D

Thank to all for your responses , the boss pull the trigger on a 210, should be in later this week. Thanks again

Reactions: licensed pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth