Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tilted horizons a permanent feature?

Are your horizons...

• Level throughout video

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Crooked

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi all,

Havin had and Inspire 1 which had very tilted horizons at times, I hoped for better with the Inspire 2. I believe DJI themselves said that there shouldn't be an issue with horizons drifting in this aircraft bit that hasn't been the case for me.

After 20 flights or so with the Inspire 2 I have yet to find a video where my horizon doesn't drift in single or dual operator mode. We have tested IMU and compass calibration to no success. The lens is perfectly balanced with an ND filter - absolutely perfect.

Anyone found any success in combating this?

I also fly an octo with a Movi gimbal and have never had issues with this. I can't understand why DJI can't get this right when they have the GPS, IMU, compass and all talking to the flight controller and the gimbal directly attached too...

Very annoying.

Lol, yeah, I wonder too. Sometimes when I look at the FPV camera its 30 degrees tilted.
I think you're misunderstanding. The FPV camera can be tilted when the aircraft is tilted against the wind. The main gimbal camera should remain level as I fly past, for example, a boat and keep the camera on the boat. During this move, my horizon will tilt from level.

Nah, I deal with tilted horizons in my main video too, and sometimes will adjust for it, but then you have to remember to adjust for it again...so now I'll just do it in post. But it just is disconcerting if you jump over to FPV and see the mad tilt going on there even when hovering in place.

I have covered this before on the forum along with a technical explanation as to why this occurs (to a degree) on ALL brushless gimbals.
Deal with it - you will never eradicate it completely.

I have covered this before on the forum along with a technical explanation as to why this occurs (to a degree) on ALL brushless gimbals.
Deal with it - you will never eradicate it completely.

Be that as it may, the Movi M10 with any load I have balanced uses a GPS module and remains entirely level throughout flight regardless of lflight direction, camera orientation, speed of flight. All of these remain a real issue in the Inspire 2 which is a cine grade machine.

Apart from this though I love our Inspire 2, amazing to fly and x5s is lovely.

Yep, have to adjust on the fly with C2 and right roller. Problem is on mine it doesn't always work that smoothly. Sometimes it's like it isn't tilting the horizon at all with a few clicks, and then one more and it goes too far. Sometimes I'm thinking I'm tilting it the wrong way as it doesn't respond, and then it jumps too far the other way. Best is not to yaw and fly straight, or turn and fly and straighten it again before the needed shot. Hope they fix this thing soon.

Reactions: DaveAU
If you're seeing this much drift then I would make sure you have a valid imu calibration. This includes getting the craft as cold as possible before the imu calibration and starting ti as soon as you get into the app. during this please make sure you are on a TRUE level surface.

Yep, have to adjust on the fly with C2 and right roller. Problem is on mine it doesn't always work that smoothly. Sometimes it's like it isn't tilting the horizon at all with a few clicks, and then one more and it goes too far. Sometimes I'm thinking I'm tilting it the wrong way as it doesn't respond, and then it jumps too far the other way. Best is not to yaw and fly straight, or turn and fly and straighten it again before the needed shot. Hope they fix this thing soon.

I think in the latest software update this has been fixed. The C2 & right hand scroll wheel adjustment now takes about a 360 revolution of the scroll wheel to move the horizon by 10 degrees. In my case when the I2 arrived, the horizon adjustment was way out at 20 degrees tilt. It took two complete revolutions of the scroll wheel to correct it. Also the adjustment is memorized after power off and your last adjustment is restored during power on initialization of the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla