Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Time to sell both my Inspires!

Well people…I know DJI wants to protect their image and billion dollar company but I think its time that I sell both my Inspires and look for a better UAV solution. The reason I say this is with DJI’s embedded No-Fly Zones I can't complete my work. We need a machine that allows me (a 11 year drone pilot) to fly within these No-Fly Zones at ground level. Today I tried to complete a ground level to 40 feet shoot (Sunday morning outside baseball stadium) but because of this blanket No-Fly zones I had to turn down the project.

The Inspire is not a toy but a professional tool! If DJI is going to limit us professionals from using this tools, we need to start looking at other options. So if anyone knows of a superior UAV I’m open to suggestions.
I for sure will not buy any DJI product in the future anymore.After all the experience the last years they haven't lurn anything about customers service.As soon there is a new product they bomb us with stupid commercials and after buying it they don't give a **** anymore.Stupid updates with hidden things(limits,speedreduction etc.) and never give us any information what those updates are for.
So the best advice I can give you is build one!
It's not that hard and will cost you less.

I will also sell my 2 Inspire 1! Terrible service! I will post a separate post on my experiences with DJI. To make things short - after 6 months of in and out to their service in Germany to get it up in the air the drone finally crashed for no obvious reason. After another 5 months and several emails saying that they will send me a new one I have not got the exchange unit. I really don't recommend anyone to buy a DJI product due to VERY VERY BAD service.

Reactions: Fanti
You know all this talk about hacked firmware, ignoring the NFZ, and disrespecting DJI and the FAA may only cause more hardship down the road for some or all of us. I understand the frustration. I have 3 airports (Class B), a few sensitive areas, Niagara Falls, The Canadian border, Historic sites, State Parks all around me. What I am trying to do is keep quiet, respect the areas that are sensitive, get permissions, respect the laws that are put in place, because some people are making stupid decisions on where they should be flying Multirotors, and WAIT to see where the chips fall when it all CALMS down which it will. Creating this fight with all the parties involved may create or is creating more drama and paranoia.. Relax and lets see if we can all play nice in airspace we don't own....:) Kevin

I am not sure I agree with your assessment, I don't think anyone here wants to brake the law. The current regulations from the FAA say to advice ATC or the airport operator. They do not prohibit one from flying within the 5 miles. They just want you to work a plan with the airport. DJI has taken this one step further and on their own, they have prohibit us from flying in those areas, even though that is not what the FAA intended. It makes a big difference to ATC or the airport operator if there is a UAS flying at 50ft on the approach end of the runway, but they may not care (and work with you) if you are flying below 100 ft, 1 mile away, perpendicular to the runway in use.

@Mike Mas mention the Phantom 2, I also have one. DJI's new batteries require you to have the new firmware, which have the NFZ restrictions... So if you want to use a new battery, you get NFZ! Sucks!

DJI must allow us to override NFZ. In Australia, you can take a UAV into a no fly zone if you have obtained appropriate clearances from CASA. That clearance would be useless if the bird would not fly there anyway.

Reactions: Ezookiel
DJI's NFZ's are, in some locations, way out of reality. The NFZ at the local airport here includes one end of the runway, but does not include the other end of the runway. In the state, some small airports are included, while other larger airports are not in their NFZ database.

As a result of DJI's NFZ's I have opted to not purchase an Inspire or any other of their craft (Phantom 3's) that has the NFZ restrictions.

Well people…I know DJI wants to protect their image and billion dollar company but I think its time that I sell both my Inspires and look for a better UAV solution. The reason I say this is with DJI’s embedded No-Fly Zones I can't complete my work. We need a machine that allows me (a 11 year drone pilot) to fly within these No-Fly Zones at ground level. Today I tried to complete a ground level to 40 feet shoot (Sunday morning outside baseball stadium) but because of this blanket No-Fly zones I had to turn down the project.

The Inspire is not a toy but a professional tool! If DJI is going to limit us professionals from using this tools, we need to start looking at other options. So if anyone knows of a superior UAV I’m open to suggestions.

I have the same problem here in Houston. Began a construction progress video shoot but now I cant complete because it's located near the ball park downtown which is now a no-fly zone. Baseball season, as we know is over. I have the FAA 333 exemption and a private pilot. This sucks!!!

DJI's new batteries require you to have the new firmware, which have the NFZ restrictions... So if you want to use a new battery, you get NFZ! Sucks!
If this is true than I say f** k DJI.Absolutly ridiculous.It's the same when you buy a car and obligated to a certain brand of fuel.So if I want a new battery I must do my upgrade?Really time to see for a own made drone.

This is a pack of two I ordered and just received for my old Phantom 2 Vision and the note it came with:

Photo Nov 08, 10 44 13 AM.jpg

Just seems to me the more DJI starts limiting the use of their products with the thousands that are already out there, some company will come up with firmware that will allow someone to bypass all these restrictions. I would buy the software now just to keep encase they throw so many restrictions on them they become useless for what people purchased them for.

It's simple. Just don't buy the product. I understand the frustration. I am surrounded too, but truthfully, I have not had problems yet flying. Let's just say there are unknowledgable people or rediculous people who fly dangerously to please there own ego. Flying a 8lb aircraft at 2000 or 3000 ft near airports is asking for trouble. My thinking is if I had family in a airliner and a screwup flying in restricted airspace at 3000 ft crashed into it and caused a crash I wouldn't be blaming the FAA or DJI.

what happened to the tin foil cap for i1? I have been using that method to fly for a long long time.

It's simple. Just don't buy the product. I understand the frustration. I am surrounded too, but truthfully, I have not had problems yet flying. Let's just say there are unknowledgable people or rediculous people who fly dangerously to please there own ego. Flying a 8lb aircraft at 2000 or 3000 ft near airports is asking for trouble. My thinking is if I had family in a airliner and a screwup flying in restricted airspace at 3000 ft crashed into it and caused a crash I wouldn't be blaming the FAA or DJI.

What I posted previously:
"...As a result of DJI's NFZ's I have opted to not purchase an Inspire or any other of their craft (Phantom 3's) that has the NFZ restrictions.

I doubt anyone is flying "at 2000 or 3000 ft near airports". I do not think my craft could attain that height, but have never tried it.

Last edited:
I agree with you Kcobello,but it's just the way DJI is dealing with this.

I agree with you Kcobello,but it's just the way DJI is dealing with this.

I hear you. I can just imagine what their going through trying to sell $5000 rigs and having to babysit, negotiate, and many other things to stay in the game. I wouldn't want their responsibility. Its like owning a hobbyshop and selling a RC plane or car to a first timer and they crash it. Does the hobby shop replace it because the parent thinks they should or should they stick to their guns and have a manufacturers return if something went wrong. Does this makes sense? Its a no win game with these type of rigs/toys. As for someones comment on 3000' I fly line of sight but have read all the posts of people stretching their wings..:)

Last edited:
I hear you. I can just imagine what their going through trying to sell $5000 rigs and having to babysit, negotiate, and many other things to stay in the game. I wouldn't want their responsibility. Its like owning a hobbyshop and selling a RC plane or car to a first timer and they crash it. Does the hobby shop replace it because the parent thinks they should or should they stick to their guns and have a manufacturers return if something went wrong. Does this makes sense? Its a now win game with these type of rigs/toys. As for someones comment on 3000' I fly line of sight but have read all the posts of people stretching their wings..:)
Yeap that is why I don't want all those supermarket and Wallmart could sell a drone.

The consumer - professional statement does not have any merit when you consider the the Inspire has nearly a $6,000 price tag with some basic extras. This is surely not a hobby category drone!

Dude, I've sold many a Quad, Hex, Octo and fixed wing with all of the bells and whistles that folks simply purchased to fly around their yards and parks. Price has no bearing on intention and those folks could have given a **** about price. People talk about what's hobby and what's not, but hobbyist can spend a ton more than $6k on their toys. Visit RCGroups some time and you'll see rigs that are built for pure fun that have thousands of dollars invested in them.

The DJI site right now has the I1 Pro listed at $4658 and that is not $6000.

Last edited:
Look into the turbo ace matrix quadcopters..
wow hobbies.com. .

Agreed, I do truly miss my I1 and the ease of use, but my Matrix-E with Pixhawk and a Sony A6000 is money all friggin' day! I'll come back to the I1, but this thing is pretty cool and the fact that is hovers for 39 minutes with a full load is insane. I sold my I1 last week and it's crazy what Ebayer's will pay for certain items during the holidays and what people will sell to get money. I purchased the full Matrix-E for $2250 with everything except the camera.

I feel ya man! I actually sold my I1 last week after it wouldn't launch near a reserve center that was next to my MONEY! I miss the I1, but my Matrix-E was acquired for $2250 (people sell sh*t for cheap during the holidays) with Pixhawk is very nice and I'll definitely come back to DJI in the future. Using my Sony A6000 which I know well and being able use it on a UAV is killer.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

This is why I never updated 5 of my birds.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hubnetix