Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Title 14 CFR Part 107 Waivers (Post your approved/rejected)

After waiting since 26 Dec 16, I was finally granted a COA for CYS Class D airspace this morning. Even better, the clerk who was processing my five (!) overlapping airspace requests saw what I was trying to do (get the most airspace possible). So instead of approving all five requests, he modified the first one and was able to get me complete access to the entire CYS Class D up to 200 AGL through 30 Sep 17!

Reactions: EDDSkitz
After waiting since 26 Dec 16, I was finally granted a COA for CYS Class D airspace this morning. Even better, the clerk who was processing my five (!) overlapping airspace requests saw what I was trying to do (get the most airspace possible). So instead of approving all five requests, he modified the first one and was able to get me complete access to the entire CYS Class D up to 200 AGL through 30 Sep 17!

Congrats. My inquiries regarding authorizations vs. waivers for blanket periods of time and airspace have been answered with the replies that I need a waiver so against my better wishes that's what I applied for. We'll see how it goes but I'm losing business waiting and if I have to resubmit, boy, what a huge waste of time.

I wish they would post your approval (but they don't seem to be doing that) so I could see how they structured multiple requests into one. Mine has 9.

Congrats. My inquiries regarding authorizations vs. waivers for blanket periods of time and airspace have been answered with the replies that I need a waiver so against my better wishes that's what I applied for. We'll see how it goes but I'm losing business waiting and if I have to resubmit, boy, what a huge waste of time.

I wish they would post your approval (but they don't seem to be doing that) so I could see how they structured multiple requests into one. Mine has 9.

Honestly, I think it was just the individual who was working my authorizations as opposed to a policy on how to handle overlapping multiple requests.

Honestly, I think it was just the individual who was working my authorizations as opposed to a policy on how to handle overlapping multiple requests.

Good point. The portal doesn't appear to be setup for anything larger than a 3 NM radius anyway necessitating multiple submissions.

I am studying for my 107 right now and the more research I do on airspace waivers, the more confused I get. Judging from most of this thread...
1. You can't get a blanket waiver for one large area of operation if I am a media members and I cover multiple counties.
2. I will need to file multiple waivers (as above) for overlapping airspace to cover the whole area (since the online waiver covers a max of like 2SM.
3. It is best to just suggest 200AGL or lower on all waivers. Anything above that seems to be where the FAA has a sticking point.

Now....if I get this waiver for Class B,C,D airspace...I do not need to call ATC? The whole 90 days thing obviously just doesn't work for spot news coverage.

Thank you all, this thread has been very enlightening. I just want to do this the right way.

Last edited:
I now have about 35 waivers approved. Here are a couple that were recently approved. I applied for multiple lats and lots on several with radiuses from .5 to 2 nm. They called me back offering me these at or below 100 feet. I can deal with the altitude. I accepted.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.44.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 8.11.06 PM.png

Happy for you in being very lucky playing in the new national lottery known as UAS authorization/waiver approvals. Mine were coming in fast & furious until about mid-February. My "FAA guy" told me he moved to a new job. Luck of the draw I guess...

Reactions: SanCap
I now have about 35 waivers approved. Here are a couple that were recently approved. I applied for multiple lats and lots on several with radiuses from .5 to 2 nm. They called me back offering me these at or below 100 feet. I can deal with the altitude. I accepted.

View attachment 12517 View attachment 12518
Thank you. Pretty much how I am seeing it. This is just going to be a bear to get like two counties covered in 2SM increments because I don't think much of where I live is G airspace. Lots of BCD.

Thank you. Pretty much how I am seeing it. This is just going to be a bear to get like two counties covered in 2SM increments because I don't think much of where I live is G airspace. Lots of BCD.

One of the images I posted is Class C airspace and the other is Class D airspace.

I just received my Daytona Beach class C authorization the other day so that I begin training some of my public safety agency's prospective pilots for the UAV program within our city.

Submitted on 01/16/17 with a start date of 03/01/17. Received authorization on 02/27/17. Gave me a 2 mile radius of our training location lat/lon, which also covers the entire city, at or below 150AGL. Expires 09/30/17

View attachment 12517 View attachment 12518
Must be arbitrary or luck of the draw because I had one over Golden Gate (just outside your depicted area) inexplicably denied at 200 ft a couple of months ago. On a good note I got one 4NM due west of RSW approved to 400 ft with a 2NM radius with a small sector lopped off on the north end of to the radius. That's surprising because it's in a common approach path for KFMY and there is also a lot of helicopter traffic. I should know... It's right over my home.

As another poster said... It's a lottery...

Reactions: SanCap
I'm pretty sure that the folks at FAA HQ coordinate with the local ATC facility responsible for the airspace you are asking to fly in (in the case of an airspace authorization/waiver). So the responses will vary based on the local view of how to integrate your operation.

FYI I filed a request for a night waiver on January 30th. My request is not for a specific area or altitude, but I intend to fly over private property where access is controlled by the owner or their representative (e.g., real estate, construction sites, private events, etc.). I included that in the waiver along with a requirement for a daylight visit to the site and the mandatory use of a VO. On 9 March, the FAA made a request for additional information. It looked somewhat like a form letter, there was not a phone number or FAA contact provided. The below was highlighted in yellow in the response:

For a waiver from section 107.29 - Daylight Operations:
• Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness.

I thought I had that covered, but I revised the text of my operational description to include the statement that the VO would assist the RPIC in scanning the area for manned aircraft and non-participating people. I also included that ambient or direct lighting required for photographing the property or event would illuminate objects and people on the ground so they could be seen. Finally, if the RPIC or VO observe navigation lights, the sUAS will be lowered to an altitude that is not more that 200 feet above the ground, structure being photographed, or landed as needed to remain well clear of any manned aircraft.

Anyway, the point is that it is like a crap shoot since the FAA is not providing specific guidance or examples of what they are asking for. In my case, something seemed to be missing, but they did not specifically state what it was. Proponents are required to literally try and guess what the FAA is looking for. This results in just too much work on both sides! I imagine that if they want further information they will call me, but who knows?

It's things like this that really make my profile pic selection appropriate!

I'm pretty sure that the folks at FAA HQ coordinate with the local ATC facility responsible for the airspace you are asking to fly in (in the case of an airspace authorization/waiver). So the responses will vary based on the local view of how to integrate your operation.

FYI I filed a request for a night waiver on January 30th. My request is not for a specific area or altitude, but I intend to fly over private property where access is controlled by the owner or their representative (e.g., real estate, construction sites, private events, etc.). I included that in the waiver along with a requirement for a daylight visit to the site and the mandatory use of a VO. On 9 March, the FAA made a request for additional information. It looked somewhat like a form letter, there was not a phone number or FAA contact provided. The below was highlighted in yellow in the response:

• Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness.

I thought I had that covered, but I revised the text of my operational description to include the statement that the VO would assist the RPIC in scanning the area for manned aircraft and non-participating people. I also included that ambient or direct lighting required for photographing the property or event would illuminate objects and people on the ground so they could be seen. Finally, if the RPIC or VO observe navigation lights, the sUAS will be lowered to an altitude that is not more that 200 feet above the ground, structure being photographed, or landed as needed to remain well clear of any manned aircraft.

Anyway, the point is that it is like a crap shoot since the FAA is not providing specific guidance or examples of what they are asking for. In my case, something seemed to be missing, but they did not specifically state what it was. Proponents are required to literally try and guess what the FAA is looking for. This results in just too much work on both sides! I imagine that if they want further information they will call me, but who knows?

Waivers/authorizations, et al process is a total crap shoot. As you said, it is up to the locals and I suspect a few can't even spell sUAS, and don't like them nor us. I've dealt with very nice guys (usually contractors) who went out of their way to help me and a few dips (staff FAA) like the one last week. I get an email with my application attached to it and some guy in Texas' approved waiver. WTF? I emailed back and get a voice mail message back about how my email is wrong (been filing requests since last year, same email) . Dude doesn't even admit he screwed up, and wants to make up an excuse. I see where the PREZ may outsource the FAA's ATC. Nothing like competition and losing civil service protection to stiffen a few backs...Ask President Reagan. :D

FYI I filed a request for a night waiver on January 30th. My request is not for a specific area or altitude, but I intend to fly over private property where access is controlled by the owner or their representative (e.g., real estate, construction sites, private events, etc.). I included that in the waiver along with a requirement for a daylight visit to the site and the mandatory use of a VO. On 9 March, the FAA made a request for additional information.
Just got the approval in my email dated 16 March. It's good for 4 years. Now all I need is for Verifly to start insuring night operations!

Well... Good news. Passed by 107. So, I have the Temp license. Have my drone. Now...waivers. I went online and filed some, but I guess the bigger question is....is there a benefit to this 333 thing or is everything going to be a 107 waiver now? Thanks for the responses before.

...is there a benefit to this 333 thing or is everything going to be a 107 waiver now? Thanks for the responses before.

Obtaining a Section 333 Exemption and an associated Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) is a complicated process. It also requires monthly reporting to the FAA. If you can meet your business objectives by using Part 107 and associated waivers, I would suggest you go that route.

Just got the approval in my email dated 16 March. It's good for 4 years. Now all I need is for Verifly to start insuring night operations!

"My request is not for a specific area or altitude" Cool, and they gave you a night waiver. Interesting. Can I ask you how the feds specified the area coverage of the waiver? I have a 4-year night waiver but it was for a very specific area. Want to know how to get one if they are not going to be picky about exact location...

"Can I ask you how the feIds specified the area coverage of the waiver? I have a 4-year night waiver but it was for a very specific area. Want to know how to get one if they are not going to be picky about exact location...

I only completed items with the red asterisk on the submission form. Because they don't provide a copy once you complete it, I can't remember for sure, but in "Proposed area of operations:" I'm pretty sure I just put "Class G airspace." The authorization that I was issued is the same as most of the others online for 107.29 waivers and item 4 in the General, Common Provisions section stipulates that the waiver is for Class G only. There are no further restrictions on the location in the Special Provisions section.

I think that the FAA has become more relaxed as time has gone on, but several of the early applicants (maybe you were one?) included lots of additional information such as a specific location or restricted height above the ground or structures. I only added what I absolutely had to. I wrote a CONOPS in MS Word and copied that into the "Description of your operation:" field. That was mostly about how I was going to meet the performance-based standards for waver from 107.29.

Although the FAA doesn't publish the submitted CONOPS (they can be considered proprietary) they do publish the resulting waiver (except for airspace waivers for some reason).

I hope this is helpful!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian