Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Title 14 CFR Part 107 Waivers (Post your approved/rejected)

I only completed items with the red asterisk on the submission form. Because they don't provide a copy once you complete it, I can't remember for sure, but in "Proposed area of operations:" I'm pretty sure I just put "Class G airspace." The authorization that I was issued is the same as most of the others online for 107.29 waivers and item 4 in the General, Common Provisions section stipulates that the waiver is for Class G only. There are no further restrictions on the location in the Special Provisions section.

I think that the FAA has become more relaxed as time has gone on, but several of the early applicants (maybe you were one?) included lots of additional information such as a specific location or restricted height above the ground or structures. I only added what I absolutely had to. I wrote a CONOPS in MS Word and copied that into the "Description of your operation:" field. That was mostly about how I was going to meet the performance-based standards for waver from 107.29.

Although the FAA doesn't publish the submitted CONOPS (they can be considered proprietary) they do publish the resulting waiver (except for airspace waivers for some reason).

I hope this is helpful!

Ah! I should have paid closer attention. the coordinates are not mandatory. Thanks.
upload_2017-3-29_13-49-8.png

Just yesterday, I received email notification from the FAA that they are processing the Class D Airspace waiver application that I submitted on 2/16.

"Thank you for submitting an Airspace Waiver request to the Federal Aviation Administration. This email is in reference to the application submitted on 2/16/2017 in the vicinity of KBFI. Your application is being processed...."

A buddy and I both just got the same 'processing' emails for our total of 18 waiver apps. Took about 45 days.

Last edited:
I highly recommend using the print to PDF option before you submit your form. Note that you can grab the corner of the keyin fields too small to display in their entirety and make them the size of the entire text before you print them to PDF. I also include an internal reference number so I can keep track of which Waiver/AA a processor is referring to when they contact me. Remember to factor in that 90 days after your 6 month AA activates you are going to need to do it all again.

A buddy and I both just got the same 'processing' emails for our total of 18 waiver apps. Took about 45 days.
I just got "processing" emails for 12 waivers. All were done about a month ago. Crazy!!

GREAT idea to share 107 waiver responses (granted or not). I'm not seeing any. In the process of preparing one for Daylight Operations. Any tips on Area of Operations section? I've added Class G airspace and not above 400' AGL or above structure’s immediate uppermost limit. Thoughts?
Once I get mine in and a response, I'll be adding that info..

This does not belong to me, but apparently the FAA is authorizing Class B airspace waivers now adjacent to our local airpatch (DFW)
DFW_UAS.JPG

Finally!

I wish they would post your approval (but they don't seem to be doing that)

Thank you for your inquiry and apologies for the delayed response. The FAA has begun posting granted airspace waivers (107.41) to the Part 107 Waivers Granted page. Approved airspace authorizations are not posted.

Regards,

FAA UAS Integration Office

[email protected]

www.faa.gov/uas

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 9:35 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)
Subject: Waivers granted list

Greetings,

Could you please tell me why there is not a single airspace authorization or waiver being shown as approved on this list:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/

Part 107 Waivers Granted - faa.gov

www.faa.gov

Part 107 Waivers Granted; Date of Issuance Expiration Date Company Name Responsible Person Waivered Regulation Approval or Denial; 8/29/2016: 8/31/2020: Skylevin, LLC

Are they recorded somewhere else or have none simply been granted? That would be confusing though because I have seen reports that actually some pilots HAVE obtained clearance.

Thank you,

On Monday 5/15 I received notification from the FAA about a combined waiver I submitted in February:

"We received your submission dated 02/16/2017, requesting waiver to sections 107.29 and 107.41. We found that you or your company already have a waiver to section 107.29 for night operations in Class G airspace (Waiver # 107W-2017-00454).

As long as that waiver is in effect, you only need to request an airspace authorization to operate in any airspace other than Class G. Please submit your request at Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS), choose only section 107.41, and reference your existing night waiver number."

I thought you had to request both sections on a single waiver... I have a different airspace auth request for Class D (same location), but now wondering if I need to re-submit again with reference to my 107.29.

On Monday 5/15 I received notification from the FAA about a combined waiver I submitted in February:

"We received your submission dated 02/16/2017, requesting waiver to sections 107.29 and 107.41. We found that you or your company already have a waiver to section 107.29 for night operations in Class G airspace (Waiver # 107W-2017-00454).

As long as that waiver is in effect, you only need to request an airspace authorization to operate in any airspace other than Class G. Please submit your request at Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS), choose only section 107.41, and reference your existing night waiver number."

I thought you had to request both sections on a single waiver... I have a different airspace auth request for Class D (same location), but now wondering if I need to re-submit again with reference to my 107.29.
You already have a 107.41 waiver for the location? If so, they are saying you don't need a new 107.29 since you already have one (so long as it is class G ) You re good to go.

You already have a 107.41 waiver for the location? If so, they are saying you don't need a new 107.29 since you already have one (so long as it is class G ) You re good to go.
No, I only have a 107.29 in hand, with a 107.41 "Authorization" in the queue.

It took about a month to get rejected for nighttime operations and flights over bystanders. The rejection was for not listing in enough detail the effect of physical impact of drone on bystanders (for overflight of general public) in case of loss of control and drone falling out of the sky. Looking for specific language to use in next application...if anyone has such language in a boilerplate format, it would be useful...

Attachments

• 107W-2017-02929_Eugene_Avakyan_Disapproval.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 36
From what I know, CNN is the only entity receiving a 107.39, and that was a mini drone, tethered. Any one else knows of a non-multibillion dollar corporation receiving a 107.39 waiver? Who else has the budget to fund an ASTM study and report for their operation? IMHO, the feds are ensuring us little guys don't get 107.39s....

Here's the thing about tethers. You can tie them to a quick retraction system, that pulls them in faster than gravity makes them hit the ground... ground point needs to be away from the crowd though...

Just my 2c

I submitted a waiver request for Daylight operation 107.29) but was rejected. I used guidance mentioned on this thread.
Can someone who's gotten the waiver approved let me know what I am missing?

Waiver Request
Our Aerial imaging business would like to provide aerial photo/video at night capturing residential and commercial property and filming entertainment and sporting events.
Our team will maintain VLOS via two methods:
1) The sUAS will have installed Anti-colission LED (white/flashing) viewable to the Remote PIC and Visual Observer at all times
and
2) staffed Visual Observer within 200ft lateral and 150ft AGL of the sUAS and adjacent to the Remote PIC.

The sUAS takeoff and landing location will be illuminated and free/clear of any obstruction for a minimum 25ft radius. If location has potential for pedestrian traffic, safety cones will be used to isolate.
The flight path will be pre-planned and walked through with the CO and Remote PIC observing potential hazards and obstructions (within 200ft lateral and 150ft AGL).
The flight path will avoid crowds.
The Remote PIC will utilize a handheld remote control with fail safe / return to home feature (set above high of hazards up to 150ft) as well as indicators for position, altitude, attitude. The VO will also continuously observe and "call out" if new hazards become present during flight
To avoid posing a risk to persons on the ground at night time, the Remote PIC has reviewed Ch17 of the Pilot's handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, pages 17-22 through 17-29. The Remote PIC will discuss this with the VO in advance.
In addition, the VO will review the FAA Night Vision video, available at FAA TV: Vision in Aviation to ensure knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision

FAA response
Thank you for submitting a 14 CFR Part 107 request for certificate of waiver through the automated FAA small unmanned aircraft (sUAS) waiver application portal.
When the FAA responds to a request for a certificate of waiver, it must follow the requirements of 14 CFR § 107.200, "Waiver policy and requirements," particularly those standards outlined in § 107.200(b). As stated in that section, the FAA uses the following criteria when making a decision as to whether to grant a waiver:
1) a complete description of the proposed operation; and
2) justification that establishes that the operation can safely be conducted under the terms
of a certificate of waiver.
Given the criteria outlined above, the FAA is unable to approve your request for a waiver to §107.29 because you did not describe interventions, for one or more hazards, to mitigate risk to an acceptable level. If you would like to reapply, include as much detail as required to describe the proposed operation, the purpose of the operation, and method by which the proposed operation can be safely conducted. Information should identify potential hazards and risks of the waivered operation, including risk-mitigation strategies, and characteristics of the sUAS. Refer to the waiver performance standards at: Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace. You must address each of the standards for the applicable regulatory section to be waived. Address each standard and how you propose to mitigate risks associated with the hazards utilizing operating limitations, technology, training, equipment, personnel, restricted access areas, etc. Only request a waiver from regulatory sections necessary to conduct the operation.

Last edited:
I submitted a waiver request for Daylight operation 107.29) but was rejected. I used guidance mentioned on this thread.
Can someone who's gotten the waiver approved let me know what I am missing?

Waiver Request
Our Aerial imaging business would like to provide aerial photo/video at night capturing residential and commercial property and filming entertainment and sporting events.
Our team will maintain VLOS via two methods:
1) The sUAS will have installed Anti-colission LED (white/flashing) viewable to the Remote PIC and Visual Observer at all times
and
2) staffed Visual Observer within 200ft lateral and 150ft AGL of the sUAS and adjacent to the Remote PIC.

The sUAS takeoff and landing location will be illuminated and free/clear of any obstruction for a minimum 25ft radius. If location has potential for pedestrian traffic, safety cones will be used to isolate.
The flight path will be pre-planned and walked through with the CO and Remote PIC observing potential hazards and obstructions (within 200ft lateral and 150ft AGL).
The flight path will avoid crowds.
The Remote PIC will utilize a handheld remote control with fail safe / return to home feature (set above high of hazards up to 150ft) as well as indicators for position, altitude, attitude. The VO will also continuously observe and "call out" if new hazards become present during flight
To avoid posing a risk to persons on the ground at night time, the Remote PIC, Steve Waller, has reviewed Ch17 of the Pilot's handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, pages 17-22 through 17-29. The Remote PIC will discuss this with the VO in advance.
In addition, the VO will review the FAA Night Vision video, available at FAA TV: Vision in Aviation to ensure knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision

FAA response
Thank you for submitting a 14 CFR Part 107 request for certificate of waiver through the automated FAA small unmanned aircraft (sUAS) waiver application portal.
When the FAA responds to a request for a certificate of waiver, it must follow the requirements of 14 CFR § 107.200, "Waiver policy and requirements," particularly those standards outlined in § 107.200(b). As stated in that section, the FAA uses the following criteria when making a decision as to whether to grant a waiver:
1) a complete description of the proposed operation; and
2) justification that establishes that the operation can safely be conducted under the terms
of a certificate of waiver.
Given the criteria outlined above, the FAA is unable to approve your request for a waiver to §107.29 because you did not describe interventions, for one or more hazards, to mitigate risk to an acceptable level. If you would like to reapply, include as much detail as required to describe the proposed operation, the purpose of the operation, and method by which the proposed operation can be safely conducted. Information should identify potential hazards and risks of the waivered operation, including risk-mitigation strategies, and characteristics of the sUAS. Refer to the waiver performance standards at: Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace. You must address each of the standards for the applicable regulatory section to be waived. Address each standard and how you propose to mitigate risks associated with the hazards utilizing operating limitations, technology, training, equipment, personnel, restricted access areas, etc. Only request a waiver from regulatory sections necessary to conduct the operation.

The only thing I could think of might be that your drone has sufficient lights to be seen from the required distance by other aircraft?

They give you absolutely no help whatsoever, do they?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop