Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UAV Insurance for Non Commercial Use?

Reaction score
I know the topic of UAV Insurance has been discussed previously, and in fact this type of Insurance had been offered by at least one specific Broker here on the forum, however I have recently learned by that very same individual that coverage is no longer available for non Commercial users, and that UAV Insurance for personal purposes has become non existent at his company located here in the United States.
I have further found this true when contacting another company who had also solicited there services here on the forum.
Has anyone found any info. to the contrary, or an Insurance company willing to write a UAV policy for personal use only in the US.

Last edited:
I know the topic of UAV Insurance has been discussed previously, and in fact this type of Insurance had been offered by at least one specific Broker here on the forum, however I have recently learned by that very same individual that coverage is no longer available for non Commercial users, and that UAV Insurance for personal purposes has become non existent at his company.
I have further found this true when contacting another company who had also solicited there services here on the forum.
Has anyone found any info. to the contrary, or an Insurance company willing to write a UAV policy for personal use only.
To save confusion (and non pertinent posts) can you state the country you are talking about?
Thanks

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
To save confusion (and non pertinent posts) can you state the country you are talking about?
Thanks

Your absolutely correct, and I actually thought about it after leaving the forum, but hadn't an opportunity to get back on to include that tid bit of info. : )
I'll edit the post, post haste!

Last edited:
Because if you live in Mongolia and you get an answer from Canada saying ''Doomsday Insurance services in Montreal do a very good deal on hobby insurance' you have wasted the posters time and the information is totally useless to you!

Edit: Haha.... I thought your 'Y' was meaning 'Why' and not 'Y' of Your :p

Because if you live in Mongolia and you get an answer from Canada saying ''Doomsday Insurance services in Montreal do a very good deal on hobby insurance' you have wasted the posters time and the information is totally useless to you!

Edit: Haha.... I thought your 'Y' was meaning 'Why' and not 'Y' of Your :p
No, I wouldn't do that. I started to write my response and the computer took a fit. :D

If you are flying purely as a hobbyist and for recreation, why not join the Academy of Model Aeronautics and take advantage of the fact that they provide all of their members with insurance coverage?

You do have to follow their safety code, which is no bad thing, but may alter where and how you choose to fly (but to make it safer):

The specifics are:
Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
See Academy of Model Aeronautics - Programs & Benefits

Read the AMA's safety code shown on this page: Academy of Model Aeronautics - New AMA Documents -- that page also has details of the specific insurance policies.

Andy

If you are flying purely as a hobbyist and for recreation, why not join the Academy of Model Aeronautics and take advantage of the fact that they provide all of their members with insurance coverage?

You do have to follow their safety code, which is no bad thing, but may alter where and how you choose to fly (but to make it safer):

The specifics are:
Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
See Academy of Model Aeronautics - Programs & Benefits

Read the AMA's safety code shown on this page: Academy of Model Aeronautics - New AMA Documents -- that page also has details of the specific insurance policies.

Andy

Andy, I'm presently a member of the AMA, however if you inquire further regarding the insurance offered by the AMA you will find a rude awakening, in that the coverage provided is secondary to that of a primary policy held by the member.
"AMA insurance is "excess" to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s "

It's not whole heartedly about one flying safe or otherwise.

Secondly, I want to be assured coverage should I find it necessary, and I don't necessarily want to rely on the coverage provided by the AMA or any such whoops I may need to jump through to be eligible for compensation. Talk is cheap. I simply wouldn't want to find myself a test case in the eyes of the AMA when push come to shove are my thoughts. Frankly, I don't know of any AMA member who had crashed there quadcopter somewhere other than an approved AMA flight field who had required the insurance as offered and were actually covered under there terms of use, but that's neither here nor there, mainly because of my primary reason for wanting a personal policy coverage . : )

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo