Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK insurance

Reaction score
Hi all,

I gave an insurance question.
I have a membership that gives me public liability insurance.

I was wondering any insurance companies in the UK will Actually insure the equipment itself.
Particularly when in flight. Insurance doesn't mean I would fly more crazy. But it would ease the pain if the worst should happen during a flight.

I am aiming to get my BNUC-S very soon but at the moment this insurance would be recreational use.

Any experience or thoughts would be great.
Cheers
Richard

Hi all,

I was wondering any insurance companies in the UK will Actually insure the equipment itself.
Particularly when in flight. Insurance doesn't mean I would fly more crazy. But it would ease the pain if the worst should happen during a flight.

I am aiming to get my BNUC-S very soon but at the moment this insurance would be recreational use.

Cheers
Richard

Most UK insurance companies insist on you having CAA permission to fly before they will insure you.

BMFA membership gives you public liability and basic insurance for £32 a year for recreational use only.

They can also provide an additional policy to cover accidental loss, damage and theft of models, controllers, tools and other kit. Although not while in flight.

http://bmfa.doodsonbg.com/

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Cheers
Richard
I'm very interested in this after my recent incident.

Most UK insurance companies insist on you having CAA permission to fly before they will insure you.

BMFA membership gives you public liability and basic insurance for £32 a year for recreational use only.

They can also provide an additional policy to cover accidental loss, damage and theft of models, controllers, tools and other kit. Although not while in flight.

http://bmfa.doodsonbg.com/

Hope this helps
This was the conclusion I had come to.
I was hoping there would be someone out there offering insurance with a bigger excess for those without CAA clearance.

It makes sence I guess.
Although 'learner' (bad voice of word) drivers can get car insurance.

Cheers.
Richard

Coverdrone offer insurance while in training for BNUC-s. I was quoted £583 with a £2,000 excess on my Inspire, reducing to £1,000 after becoming licensed and then £500 after a further twelve months. £2m public liability.

https://www.coverdrone.com/cover-summary/

Alternatively until qualified get £5m public liability (with Royal Sun Alliance) for £16 here:

http://www.fpvuk.org/store/

Coverdrone offer insurance while in training for BNUC-s. I was quoted £583 with a £2,000 excess on my Inspire, reducing to £1,000 after becoming licensed and then £500 after a further twelve months. £2m public liability.

Alternatively until qualified get £5m public liability (with Royal Sun Alliance) for £16 here:

Thanks Simon.

At those numbers is hardly worth getting insurance without a licence. Interesting that it's based on a time measure of experience rather than flight hours. Although I guess other platforms don't record hours as easily as the I1.

Thanks Simon.

At those numbers is hardly worth getting insurance without a licence. Interesting that it's based on a time measure of experience rather than flight hours. Although I guess other platforms don't record hours as easily as the I1.
You are required by law to keep a logbook of all flights and maintenance and it is audited every 12 months so it is actually based on flight hours.
Its just after 12 months they assume you will have logged sufficient hours etc.

That only applies to those with a licence though?

So if you are flying without you may not keep a flight log?
Even though it is good practice to do so.

Its not just BNUC-s (which is falling out of favour now). They will cover you for any NQE certification towards PFAW.
However, there are obviously other alternatives out there other than John Heath who I found were not the greatest at communication!

That only applies to those with a licence though?

So if you are flying without you may not keep a flight log?
Even though it is good practice to do so.
Correct - you won't get commercial insurance without it.

FPV.org is your best bet for hobby flying insurance.
It gives you £5m liability cover providing you fly within the guidelines of CAP722.

Coverdrone Features | Coverdrone

FPV UK Store, Membership

Hi Simon,

Am I correct in thinking that the BMFA/FPVUK public liability Insurance will cover me for the flight assessment with an NQE prior to the submission of my application for a PFAW to the CAA?
I know I will require the commercial Insurance for the PFAW but with the backlog of applications at the CAA, I may lose 2 - 3 months of expensive cover whilst my application is being processed.

There was a company at the Drone Show, underwritten by Hiscox, which were about to launch a new product specifically for the flight test. It gave 30days (IIRC) cover at a cost of £100, with a £50 rebate once you received your PFAW and take out a full policy with them.

Their thinking being that if you pony up for a full policy before your flight test, it could be sitting unused for a couple of months while the paper work goes through for the PFAW. So in theory you'd be saving money.

I did like the thinking behind their main policy as it seemed to be very pilot (rather than airframe) centric with add-ons for employee liability etc and they could answer all my questions - which the Cover Drone rep couldn't - however a fully loaded policy with employee and £5m public liability looked to cost around £1100inc vat.

I'll dig out the business card and add the info if anyone's interested.

Hi Simon,

Am I correct in thinking that the BMFA/FPVUK public liability Insurance will cover me for the flight assessment with an NQE prior to the submission of my application for a PFAW to the CAA?
I know I will require the commercial Insurance for the PFAW but with the backlog of applications at the CAA, I may lose 2 - 3 months of expensive cover whilst my application is being processed.
I did my flight test with Eurousc and spoke to my assigned flight examiner beforehand who confirmed that my hobby insurance would be fine. I suggest to you speak to your NQE just to make sure.

Reactions: Flashman
I did my flight test with Eurousc and spoke to my assigned flight examiner beforehand who confirmed that my hobby insurance would be fine. I suggest to you speak to your NQE just to make sure.
I would be more inclined to speak to your insurance carrier who will understand exactly the cover provided rather than your NQE who will not be an underwriter.
If you have confirmation from your insurer that you are covered for flight assessment you can then argue with your NQE and point out they are wrong if they say your policy doesn't cover you for the assesement.
If your NQE (who knows nothing about general liability cover) says its fine and you have a mishap, you will need to convince and argue with your Insurers to get indemnity if there is no coverage provided.

I went with Aaduki last October. Never had to claim so can't say what they are like from that perspective. I am now up for renewal.

Has anyone re-insured for commercial flying with a PFAW? Do you get a no claims discount like a car? Who is currently the best (most cost effective) in the market at the moment?

I filled in a www.insure4drones.co.uk online quote form and it quoted me twice what Aaduki did last year. The online quote wasn't short of usury, or is everyone crashing their drones at the moment?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry