Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Training Provider For CAA Permission For Aerial Work

Irwsky

Yes pretty gash way to run a bang up to date industry.

Email with no answer/update or accurate prediction of when your PFAW will be renewed.

Do you renew every 6 months just to be sure your current PFAW does not expire?....

Yes hard to believe.

Pay the CEO £250,000 and you still cant get results.

Why does the buck never stop at the top and institutions like this become self licking lollipops?

Yes hard to believe.
Pay the CEO £250,000 and you still cant get results.
Why does the buck never stop at the top and institutions like this become self licking lollipops?
Rather than venting your obvious frustration on this forum, why not write to the CAA CEO to voice your concerns. We may be a small, rapidly growing commercial sector, but I don't think we have any clout compared to the 'big' boys that earn the UK £millions.

Or like the rest of us you could be patient and wait for the small RPA team get on with the growing numbers of applications. Or you could go through your NQE who will have direct access on behalf of all their clients.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishSights
"Rather than venting....."
Yes -is it obvious I am a bit amazed at the lack of professionalism in the CAA with regarding PFAW application/renewal/communication

Let me clear up a few points

1. I am Patient
2. I do not take bad admin(for example not being able to establish basic communication !!) especially from a public funded body acceptable.
3. I take it you have a PFAW? If so I hope you are "patient" when your renewal lapses by x number of months(even though you re applied )and there is no way of finding out if they even have it,when you will get it and what you will do for income whilst you are being "patient!"

Yes I understand they are probably understaffed/under resourced but does that help you/me? Is it right?

I just want to find out how experienced guys get round this renewal problem without their PFAW lapse with the current shocking state of affairs .......

No I do not have my PFAW. I will be submitting my UAS OSC shortly. It will take as long as it takes. I can understand the office refusing to deal with individual queries if that is going to delay the whole process for everyone else. I have other business calls on my time so waiting several months is fine with me. I was always advised that it could take up to 6 months from buying my RPA before I could market it. I did my research.

No I do not have my PFAW. I will be submitting my UAS OSC shortly. It will take as long as it takes. I can understand the office refusing to deal with individual queries if that is going to delay the whole process for everyone else. I have other business calls on my time so waiting several months is fine with me. I was always advised that it could take up to 6 months from buying my RPA before I could market it. I did my research.
From PMs it would appear your research is off.
It is currently just NOW taking circa 70 working days (and counting)to gain your PFAW on submitting it.
During those 70 or so days there is no way in knowing they have it,it needs ammended or finding out how far along they are with it.
Prior to those 70 days(and counting) you have to book onto a course of around 2-3days of ground training,complete your theory test. This is date/location dependent.
A week or so after the course with your preferred training provider you will get your results.Pass and you can book a practical test that again is dependent on spaces free at your location of choice. Maybe 6 -8 weeks away.
Add it all together and 6 months is probably unrealistic to gain PFAW.
The point Im making is during all the training etc you will know roughly how long it takes and if your unsure you can pick up the phone and find out from your chosen training provider.
Once your ops manual is with the CAA you just dont know.You may get it in 70,80,90 days.In fact roll the dice get out the chicken bones and make up how long it will take(the CAA literature state 28 days)
You have no way of knowing.
Im sure you will agree not such a rosey state off affairs for a "professional" body.
If your happy with this fine.
Im trying to find out how people who currently have PFAW mitigate their current PFAW from expiring if they will have no way of knowing how long a renewal takes.
Maybe once you get a PFAW,have jobs booked in and your renewal date fast approaching,no way of knowing if your renewal will be processed in time you may rethink your satisfaction levels with this state of affairs.
It is not a professional way to do business end of story!!!

I decided to enter the RPA world at The Photography Show in Mar 15. I sat and passed my Ground School in May 15 and Flight Assessment 3 weeks later on 3 Jun 15 with Resource Group. I am now finalising my UAS OSC (vol 1 & 2) to be submitted through the NQE. If the 70 day clock starts by July I may see my PFAW by Sep 15. That to me is 6 months.

You say you are trying to elicit how long other people are experiencing to get a response from the CAA RPA office. I note that few here have offered a response despite the hundreds if not thousands going through the process.

I decided to enter the RPA world at The Photography Show in Mar 15. I sat and passed my Ground School in May 15 and Flight Assessment 3 weeks later on 3 Jun 15 with Resource Group. I am now finalising my UAS OSC (vol 1 & 2) to be submitted through the NQE. If the 70 day clock starts by July I may see my PFAW by Sep 15. That to me is 6 months.

You say you are trying to elicit how long other people are experiencing to get a response from the CAA RPA office. I note that few here have offered a response despite the hundreds if not thousands going through the process.
Once you gain your PFAW how do you propose to ensure there are no lapses in "cover" when you re apply for it?
How long before it expires will you re submit it?(CAA states 28 days reality more than double that)
Lastly how will you get an answer to if they have your renewal,does it need ammended and will you get it before your current one expires?

I shall deal with that problem in due cause. I certainly won't be giving myself a heart attack over it.
Ok good for you highly professional.
"Yes I can do the job"
"Really when?"
"Just waiting for my PFAW renewal"
"When will that be?"
"Errr emmm err..."
As you walk away tail between legs sporting donkey ears.

We have recently updated and resubmitted out Ops Manual and await a new PFAW to include new aircraft. It has been with them since April 20 and as a commercial business very frustrating without any way to contact or get confirmation that the documentation has even been received - how long do you wait until you assume it's lost and resubmit.

Ironically I now need to submit another Ops Manual update as we have now purchased a further aircraft.

I'm thinking about including details of future aircraft as well if it's going to take in excess of three months to get the documentation accepted by the CAA to ensure we can work commercially when the jobs land on the door

I understand that they are swamped but at least acknowledge reception of the documentation !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andreweio 1 I feel your pain.This is exactly the scenario I was sure was existing.

The its ok, be patient brigade do not understand how business works.

Clients want results.If there are problems they do not want to hear them as its your job to provide solutions...

Makes you look bad when waiting for a third party to step up to the plate(CAA)

I have a solution. Cut Andrew Haines(CEO CAA) £250000 publicly funded salary by £50000 and we can employ 2 receptionists within PFAW to soley answer the phone. Voila communication-let there be light!

Ok thats me solved communication within the CAA wrt PFAW time to move on and invent a cure for obesity and its not even lunch time!!.........

Hurrah after just over 8 weeks an email from the CAA in my inbox. No message simply an updated PFAW attached

I have about two weeks before I need to submit it back for renewal in time for Christmas [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreweio 1 I feel your pain.This is exactly the scenario I was sure was existing.

The its ok, be patient brigade do not understand how business works.

Clients want results.If there are problems they do not want to hear them as its your job to provide solutions...

Makes you look bad when waiting for a third party to step up to the plate(CAA)

I have a solution. Cut Andrew Haines(CEO CAA) £250000 publicly funded salary by £50000 and we can employ 2 receptionists within PFAW to soley answer the phone. Voila communication-let there be light!

Ok thats me solved communication within the CAA wrt PFAW time to move on and invent a cure for obesity and its not even lunch time!!.........
Just a thought (I'm totally with you on sticking up a red hot poker up these lazy bureaucratic back sides) but.......

How about having a dig around to see if you can find either a CAA 'Standards of Service Charter' or a 'Service Standards Commitment' document kicking around anywhere?
You can then quote their own breach of standards back to them and start a formal procedure for breaking their own published timeframes. This way, another (unfortunately probably civil service department) will probably get involved at at least may look into the sleeping beast?

Just a thought ;)

Just a thought (I'm totally with you on sticking up a red hot poker up these lazy bureaucratic back sides) but.......

How about having a dig around to see if you can find either a CAA 'Standards of Service Charter' or a 'Service Standards Commitment' document kicking around anywhere?
You can then quote their own breach of standards back to them and start a formal procedure for breaking their own published timeframes. This way, another (unfortunately probably civil service department) will probably get involved at at least may look into the sleeping beast?

Just a thought ;)
As editor said ditto.
Only a fool couldnt see this problem arising......
Also who do the CAA think they are when they do send you your PFAW. Manners cost nothing.
I think the CAA has more "neck" than ETs scarf!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk