Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Um... battery charging

Reaction score
This is potentially a stupid question, but my Inspire 1 was just delivered about 30 minutes ago. Trying to charge the battery right now, but there are no lights or any sort of indication that it's doing anything. Is that... normal?

Before connecting the charger, I pushed the button to see if there was any pre-existing charge, but nothing happened. I assumed that when I plugged it in, the lights would start flashing or something (like they do on the controller), but... nothing.

This is potentially a stupid question, but my Inspire 1 was just delivered about 30 minutes ago. Trying to charge the battery right now, but there are no lights or any sort of indication that it's doing anything. Is that... normal?

Before connecting the charger, I pushed the button to see if there was any pre-existing charge, but nothing happened. I assumed that when I plugged it in, the lights would start flashing or something (like they do on the controller), but... nothing.
No, not normal. I would expect (as all mine have been) that the batts come storage charged (circa 50%), which would mean at least two of your LEDs would light on pressing the button.
Having said that the battery MAY have gone into hibernate in which case leave it on charge form around ten mins and it should spring to life.

Well, crap.

It's been plugged in for a good 20 minutes now, and still nothing. A rather inauspicious beginning to my first experience with a DJI product.

When you try and turn the battery on (short press, followed by 2 second press) what happens?...if anything.

Nada. I'm getting a pretty strong "dead" vibe from this. Good thing I paid for Saturday delivery! Haha.

Nada. I'm getting a pretty strong "dead" vibe from this. Good thing I paid for Saturday delivery! Haha.

If you have only one battery, it is going to be difficult to tell for sure. When you give the battery button a single press, it should light up one or more of the LEDs, giving you an indication of the charge level. If you get NO lights, I'd bet the battery is defective. If you get 1 or 2 lights, the battery is probably OK, but if there is no indication of charging, then probably the charger is bad, or your power source is is dead.

If you have a second battery, it will be easier to confirm.

Le sigh.

My first impulse was to box the Inspire up, send it all back to Amazon and forget the whole thing. I suppose the more reasoned response would be to go to the shop down in Castle Rock to buy another battery and then follow up with the dead one with DJI support. It's just kind of a hassle.

I guess I'll go get another battery today. If the firmware goes bad... I might have to reassess this whole endeavor. <facepalm>

Somebody tell me something encouraging, like how much I'm going to love this thing when the kinks are worked out. LOL

Le sigh.

My first impulse was to box the Inspire up, send it all back to Amazon and forget the whole thing. I suppose the more reasoned response would be to go to the shop down in Castle Rock to buy another battery and then follow up with the dead one with DJI support. It's just kind of a hassle.

I guess I'll go get another battery today. If the firmware goes bad... I might have to reassess this whole endeavor. <facepalm>

I have heard that Amazon is pretty good about returns. Short of your local trip, returning it might be the fastest way to get you in the air. I am not sure I would want to visit a local dealer, after buying something from Amazon. Now if you bought it in Castle Rock, that would be the first place I would go.

I got it from Amazon, but I think I must have gotten the last two-controller Inspire they had, because immediately after I bought it, the only one available was $100 more AND from a third-party. So if I return the entire thing to Amazon, who knows how long I'd have to wait until they could send a replacement.

Meanwhile, I only have this one battery right now. I was more than likely going to purchase a TB48 eventually, this might just move that purchase up a bit earlier. Actually, I could bring the charger to the local shop, and make SURE the new battery works before I leave... so at least I'd be able to fly while I wait for DJI to replace this original, DOA one.

I got it from Amazon, but I think I must have gotten the last two-controller Inspire they had, because immediately after I bought it, the only one available was $100 more AND from a third-party. So if I return the entire thing to Amazon, who knows how long I'd have to wait until they could send a replacement.

Meanwhile, I only have this one battery right now. I was more than likely going to purchase a TB48 eventually, this might just move that purchase up a bit earlier. Actually, I could bring the charger to the local shop, and make SURE the new battery works before I leave... so at least I'd be able to fly while I wait for DJI to replace this original, DOA one.
Good luck.

Take the battery too, if the local shop is nice, you are too and you buy a battery from them they may help replacing the dead one.

Kilrah, I should have done that, just to ask. Alas, I'm already back home with a new TB48 (which is actually charging) and that place is about an hour's drive. Oh, well. I'll get in touch with DJI next week about replacing the dud. In the meantime, I can get back to getting this all set up.

Next hurdle, after battery's done charging: Firmware update. I'm quite nervous about this part. :eek:

I have heard that Amazon is pretty good about returns. Short of your local trip, returning it might be the fastest way to get you in the air. I am not sure I would want to visit a local dealer, after buying something from Amazon. Now if you bought it in Castle Rock, that would be the first place I would go.

Amazon is great with returns. If you bought it from amazon that is and not a 3rd party seller. I bought a Phantom 2 Vision Plus from them and had an issue 2 weeks after. They overnighted a new one to me and returned the original without a question. I will always buy from amazon.

Finished charging the battery, got everything set up, the firmware updates actually went perfectly. I've been sitting here playing with the flight simulator, which is pretty neat. Still lots of functions to learn about.

I did have one question (for now)... when I turn on the Inspire, I get an alert that's a little ambiguous:

tbcrkpFh.png

I mean, if the battery never gets fully charged, then how can you fully charge it before first use? Am I supposed to ignore this?

Probably bad translation, "has never been fully charged".

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hmm, that's odd. I left it on the charger until it had four solid lights. Hope it's not an issue with yet another battery...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido