Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UPDATED!: Motors making "crunchy" noise?? (video attached)

Reaction score
Hey guys! So last night I just happened to notice the motors on my I2 are making what I perceive as an odd noise. I just randomly spun them while attaching the props and heard it. However, one of the motors is completely noise-free. Can you guys take a listen and let me know what you think? Thanks!

I was afraid of that. Well, new motors seem to be around $70 each. Do you think this is something I could fix myself?

Hey guys! So last night I just happened to notice the motors on my I2 are making what I perceive as an odd noise. I just randomly spun them while attaching the props and heard it. However, one of the motors is completely noise-free. Can you guys take a listen and let me know what you think? Thanks!

It is common with I2. Unfortunatelly the props get a bit loose in their mounts over time and what you hear is the result of that. There are many "how to" fix this videos on YT, just do a search on rattling props. There are shims out there which go under the props which make for a tighter prop fit. Again just do a search. Good luck!

Thanks guys! By the way, could that issue cause the drone to fly odd - as in veering off to the left or right? Thanks!

Loose props which wobble in their mounts are never a good thing. I am sure the IMU can compensate but you could perhaps experience a less stable hover or a random drifts, I guess?

Reactions: Tom Sanderson
Loose props which wobble in their mounts are never a good thing. I am sure the IMU can compensate but you could perhaps experience a less stable hover or a random drifts, I guess?
IMU doesn't like vibrations, that's why it is usually mounted with dampening tape.

Yeah, doesn't look like my motors are bad after all, thankfully. Maybe I should go with some of the foldable carbon fiber props?

No, only with the prop installed and spinning it. I think it's definitely just loose props. I'm going to try a fix from Youtube (tape) and see if that works. Then i'll probably replace them with the Xoar non-folding carbon fiber props.

Reactions: niki
Some interesting developments! I actually had 3 props making this noise, with the 4th being silent. Upon inspection, that 4th prop must be one of the new ones that have a small bit of foam in them to plug the gap between the props and the mount. I found a "fix" on youtube that involved placing a small piece of electrical tape on the inside of the props, to help reduce the gap - and it worked! All 4 props are now silent. AND: To my absolute delight, the I2 now flies straight as an arrow. Before, it would veer off to the right really badly. For instance, I would try to fly it straight and it would veer to the right maybe 40 degrees. Now, it's almost perfect. I was thinking it might be one of the "bad" ones that just had issues, and it was about to become a really expensive paperweight. So now I might order the Xoar carbon fiber props )non-foldable) and see how they perform.

Some interesting developments! I actually had 3 props making this noise, with the 4th being silent. Upon inspection, that 4th prop must be one of the new ones that have a small bit of foam in them to plug the gap between the props and the mount. I found a "fix" on youtube that involved placing a small piece of electrical tape on the inside of the props, to help reduce the gap - and it worked! All 4 props are now silent. AND: To my absolute delight, the I2 now flies straight as an arrow. Before, it would veer off to the right really badly. For instance, I would try to fly it straight and it would veer to the right maybe 40 degrees. Now, it's almost perfect. I was thinking it might be one of the "bad" ones that just had issues, and it was about to become a really expensive paperweight. So now I might order the Xoar carbon fiber props )non-foldable) and see how they perform.
Glad to hear that you've sorted it out. Most people have only good things to say about CF props, majority went with T-Motor or Koptermax folding props due to transport of the Inspire with the props attached. It fits in the original DJI case with props folded with just minimal DIY modification of the styrofoam.. Just saying...

Reactions: Tom Sanderson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela