Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Us Army bans Dji products. How about the commercial business?

Reaction score
Am I overreacting?

I read about this news yesterday, and I must say that it is quite concerning. I was seriously considering the purchase of the Matrice 200 for a business start up to do inspections and commercial work in the real estate industry. In light of this new information I am left to wonder how this will affect my abilities to secure work contracts. Will this cause me to lose my copyrights on data/photo and video? Can Dji use or sell my data as they see fit?

Reactions: tracyostrander
I've noticed DJI Go 4 starts up all by itself on my Samsung, and it eats into the battery well enough that the phone throws up a warning about the battery life and GO 4 is behind it most of the time where I force it to close. I don't know what is going on with it, but it does open ports so who knows? Might explain why my phone is dead in half a day too, and maybe behind some of the video feed break up too while using it with the drone. Who knows what they are mining, even if not using the app, but a lot of apps have access to too much on the phone and camera too which is annoying. My iPad seems more immune to this self-starting app action too as the battery lasts far longer than in the Androids.

About the only thing you can do is maybe buy a Freefly Alta which is USA made, but then you are looking at a lot of money. Probably north of $14K with a camera, plus they are quite large to haul around (Think of a couch!).

Reactions: freedom55
I've noticed DJI Go 4 starts up all by itself on my Samsung, and it eats into the battery well enough that the phone throws up a warning about the battery life and GO 4 is behind it most of the time where I force it to close. I don't know what is going on with it, but it does open ports so who knows? Might explain why my phone is dead in half a day too, and maybe behind some of the video feed break up too while using it with the drone. Who knows what they are mining, even if not using the app, but a lot of apps have access to too much on the phone and camera too which is annoying. My iPad seems more immune to this self-starting app action too as the battery lasts far longer than in the Androids.

About the only thing you can do is maybe buy a Freefly Alta which is USA made, but then you are looking at a lot of money. Probably north of $14K with a camera, plus they are quite large to haul around (Think of a couch!).
Get the Crystal Sky monitor then.

Am I overreacting?

I read about this news yesterday, and I must say that it is quite concerning. I was seriously considering the purchase of the Matrice 200 for a business start up to do inspections and commercial work in the real estate industry. In light of this new information I am left to wonder how this will affect my abilities to secure work contracts. Will this cause me to lose my copyrights on data/photo and video? Can Dji use or sell my data as they see fit?

Freedom55,

What is concerning about the Army's decision? This only affects you or your company if you are utilizing (ANY) DJI Products. What that means is any and everything DJI (not just whole systems like Phantoms, Inspires, Matrice, etc.) but also includes cameras, gimbals, IMU, GPS, Crystal Sky too, etc. used on any custom rigs. This is directly related to DJI and the use of data collected by systems without regards to privacy.

As far as business goes, you wont be able to work for the DoD agencies utilizing that kind of equipment for the time being. My worries are eventually this could be spread to other agencies to include public sector (utilities). Not to many choices out there for VTOL that aren't made in China and could also be added to the list (my speculation only).

It's probably because the POS Go App sends images and all flight telemetry information to the Chinese mother ship - NOT good for security. For military operations, I would use an iPad with the WiFi permanently off. Do updates via another iPad. I have some possible military contractor work coming up. We'll see what happens if it pans out.

D

Just got this in my email. Seems the concern for the "Chinese mother ship" is well known, and Yuneek is going to exploit that shortcoming. Good for them.

Capture.JPG

Sounds like DJI are feeling a bit stung by the brouhaha on all this and are now in process of developing a 'local data mode' which cuts any data transfer to their servers, or any map or geo update once enabled. They'll roll it out to the DJI Go, Groundstation etc in the next version or two...

Found the link.... DJI Develops Option For Pilots To Fly Without Internet Data Transfer

Last edited:
Sounds like DJI are feeling a bit stung by the brouhaha on all this and are now in process of developing a 'local data mode' which cuts any data transfer to their servers, or any map or geo update once enabled. They'll roll it out to the DJI Go, Groundstation etc in the next version or two...

Found the link.... DJI Develops Option For Pilots To Fly Without Internet Data Transfer

Rofl. Its called a FIREWALL.

Been running one on everything with GO for over 2 years now. And I have a modded hosts file that contains something like 20 URLs that GO hits behind your back. Not on my watch it doesn't.

I trust no software until my firewall says it doesn't call anywhere I don't ask it to. Apple and Adobe products are only slightly above DJI on my trusted software list. You should see where all they connect to behind the scenes.

If you think "trusted" big name software isn't sending your data out too, you are either blind or ignorant. Put a firewall on your device. When you do, I hope you are sitting down. If you aren't alarmed, you should be.

And given that the Crystal sky devices ONLY run GO and you can't put anything else on them makes them far worse than a phone running GO which you can limit and control. You have zero control over what crystal sky sends. If its got internet, you are being mined. And without internet, no maps so you really handicap yourself.

Edit: sorry 20, not 30 urls.

Last edited:

Been running one on everything with GO for over 2 years now. And I have a modded hosts file that contains something like 30 URLs that GO hits behind your back. Not on my watch it doesn't.

I trust no software until my firewall says it doesn't call anywhere I don't ask it to. Apple and Adobe products are only slightly above DJI on my trusted software list. You should see where all they connect to behind the scenes.

If you think "trusted" big name software isn't sending your data out too, you are either blind or ignorant. Put a firewall on your device. When you do, I hope you are sitting down. If you aren't alarmed, you should be.

And given that the Crystal sky devices ONLY run GO and you can't put anything else on them makes them far worse than a phone running GO which you can limit and control. You have zero control over what crystal sky sends. If its got internet, you are being mined. And without internet, no maps so you really handicap yourself.

To save all our time on wireshark :) - would it be possible for you to share those remote addresses/URL's please?

Many thanks,

Alan

Yes.

Here is my hosts file I use. Its got a LOT more than just DJI blocking. About 123k entries.
Dropbox - hosts-android

For the short version, DJI only stuff...
127.0.0.1 upgrade.bgcentre.com #dji go upgrade server
127.0.0.1 mydjiflight.dji.com
127.0.0.1 newrelic.com
127.0.0.1 djistatic.com
127.0.0.1 flurry.com
127.0.0.1 baidu.com
127.0.0.1 qbox.me
127.0.0.1 dj2006.net
127.0.0.1 pingma.qq.com
127.0.0.1 u.dji.com
127.0.0.1 aasky.net
127.0.0.1 acbe.aasky.net
127.0.0.1 qq.com
127.0.0.1 flysafe-api.dji.com
127.0.0.1 djicdn.com
127.0.0.1 m.dji.com
127.0.0.1 active.dji.com
127.0.0.1 dds.dji.com
127.0.0.1 ydjiflight.dji.com
127.0.0.1 conf.international.baidu.com
127.0.0.1 qbox.wsdns.com

I have not run or tested GO4. That was GO 2 and 3. So I don't know what GO4 uses for sure. I got tired of adding addresses, so my firewall simply blocks ALL internet access by GO. I don't fly with GO so I don't need anything it has.

Yes.

Here is my hosts file I use. Its got a LOT more than just DJI blocking. About 123k entries.
Dropbox - hosts-android

For the short version, DJI only stuff...

I have not run or tested GO4. That was GO 2 and 3. So I don't know what GO4 uses for sure. I got tired of adding addresses, so my firewall simply blocks ALL internet access by GO. I don't fly with GO so I don't need anything it has.

Wow - that's a list... maybe I will do some work on this now. :(

Many thanks!

Well, if you want a list..I have a windows one thats even bigger...about 157k entries
Dropbox - hosts-windows

As you can tell, I hate tracking cookies, ads, "metrics" and spyware.

My router at home has about 20,000 domains entirely blocked, doubleclick is but one of those. When connected to my home network , you can't get to any of them on any device. Basically, I nip it in the bud right at the internet connection.

I only run Firefox and only with ABP. Yes, even on android and even with those hosts files. New crap comes along all the time. I haven't updated the hosts files in a month or so. I usually tweak them every couple three months.

Been running one on everything with GO for over 2 years now. And I have a modded hosts file that contains something like 20 URLs that GO hits behind your back. Not on my watch it doesn't.

Edit: sorry 20, not 30 urls.

I tried to find a firewall when I first got my iPad, and couldn't find it. A Google search netted the fact that iPads (iOS 10) don't have firewalls. It was also asserted that no third-party firewall could be used on the iPad. So I guess the big question of the day is, "Which Firewall software did you use on your iPad???"

I have an iPad Air 1 and an iPad Air Pro. I can install the firewall on either one.

"Which Firewall software did you use on your iPad???"

Android Lollipop.

Meaning I don't own any apple device. Closed system. No thanks.

I run nVidia K1 primarily on the drone with my Galaxy S5 as a backup if I need a 2nd device. However, I will be buying a 2nd K1 now that I have an I1 and dual controllers. I flew my P3 birds with the S5 until I got the K1 so I know it works and is solid. I fly in hot weather (Florida and in Wisc) with no heating issues I have noticed on either device.

In the field, I run the S5 as a WiFi hotspot so the K1 has internet. I an grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data so I don't care about pre-caching maps or limited data. Heck, when I run between Wis and Fla the kids in the back seat stream Netflix or Kodi on Rasperry Pi portables for the whole trip through the S5's hotspot.

Android Lollipop.

Meaning I don't own any apple device. Closed system. No thanks.

I run nVidia K1 primarily on the drone with my Galaxy S5 as a backup if I need a 2nd device. However, I will be buying a 2nd K1 now that I have an I1 and dual controllers. I flew my P3 birds with the S5 until I got the K1 so I know it works and is solid. I fly in hot weather (Florida and in Wisc) with no heating issues I have noticed on either device.

In the field, I run the S5 as a WiFi hotspot so the K1 has internet. I an grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data so I don't care about pre-caching maps or limited data. Heck, when I run between Wis and Fla the kids in the back seat stream Netflix or Kodi on Rasperry Pi portables for the whole trip through the S5's hotspot.

Touché. You might have mentioned that in the first place. Good to know I can change platforms if security becomes an issue. For now, I just don't connect to the Internet. I don't need no steenkin' maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo