Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using histogram in DJI Go

Reaction score
By using the histogram on your aircraft camera, it is easier to see how to adjust your image exposure. There is a lot more to know about the histogram, and you can use it when you process your images in Photoshop or Lightroom as well. Keep in mind that if you shoot JPG format, nailing the exposure in camerais even more critical. If you shoot RAW format you have some leeway to make adjustments later, but it’s still a better idea to get it right in the first place.

Detailed Tutorial:
DJI Forum|Using histogram

Any ideas on exporting the histogram and overexposure to an external HDMI monitor? Can't for the life of me find any way to do it, which is ridiculous. It should be included in the OSD export setting.

Histogram is a great tool for stills, through for moving image I prefer to use zebra and ETTR to get the best IQ and minimize noise in the shadows. Keep an eye on the histogram at the same time to get the best exposure that gives you the most room to play with in post.

Reactions: The Editor
And to answer my actual question regarding using those functions on an external monitor through HDMi out?

Live feed. It only seems to work via a USB device and not HDMI.
Sorry I wasn't trying to answer ur question to start with. Can you see anything on ur monitor via hdmi at all? R u trying to get the zebra and histogram to show up within the monitor, like mirroring what you see on the DJI Go app?

Histogram is a great tool for stills, through for moving image I prefer to use zebra and ETTR to get the best IQ and minimize noise in the shadows. Keep an eye on the histogram at the same time to get the best exposure that gives you the most room to play with in post.
Yup, totally agree. I only wish the X3 and X5 gave you two zebras at custom levels like on my other cameras.
You could then set one at 100% and one at your choice (I usually have mine around 70%).
I also wish we could set knee and slope but I'm just wishing now. :p

Sorry I wasn't trying to answer ur question to start with. Can you see anything on ur monitor via hdmi at all? R u trying to get the zebra and histogram to show up within the monitor, like mirroring what you see on the DJI Go app?
My bad too, thought you were the original poster.

Yeah HDMI out works fine, OSD works and all. Just no histogram or overexposure. Works fine through the app on my Nexus 6P and HTC M7.

Any ideas on exporting the histogram and overexposure to an external HDMI monitor? Can't for the life of me find any way to do it, which is ridiculous. It should be included in the OSD export setting.
The only option as you have found is the display OSD on HDMI which is not complete data.
Have you considered a decent external monitor that will give you options such as peaking, zebra and histogram through its own interface?
SmallHD make some decent field monitors.

Reactions: Jacky Poon
My bad too, thought you were the original poster.

Yeah HDMI out works fine, OSD works and all. Just no histogram or overexposure. Works fine through the app on my Nexus 6P and HTC M7.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't fink you can out put the app's exposure tools via hdmi - it's an in-app function.
Btw if you are trying to output via hdmi while displaying exposure tools I'm assuming you are using it for monitoring ur shots only right? If so do you have exposure tools built in the monitor you can use? That's just as good if not better than the app's tool - monitoring exposure with waveforms is much more accurate than histogram when shooting video IMO and most monitor nowadays have these functions built in including zebra settings.

The only option as you have found is the display OSD on HDMI which is not complete data.
Have you considered a decent external monitor that will give you options such as peaking, zebra and histogram through its own interface?
SmallHD make some decent field monitors.
I've made do with old laptop screens that I've retrofitted into field monitors, so no built in functionalities. Purchasing a monitor with those functions is something I'll remember in the future.

Falling short of that though, surely its not that difficult for the GO App to output the same visuals? Just a small bee in my bonet over something that seems so easy to incorporate.

I've made do with old laptop screens that I've retrofitted into field monitors, so no built in functionalities. Purchasing a monitor with those functions is something I'll remember in the future.

Falling short of that though, surely its not that difficult for the GO App to output the same visuals? Just a small bee in my bonet over something that seems so easy to incorporate.
The problem is the bandwidth and processing grunt needed over the 5.8ghz link.
The video feed on the slave is taken directly from the Inspire transmitted from the Lightbridge, however, the data overlays are processed in real time(ish) via the app and therefore not output through HDMI.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't fink you can out put the app's exposure tools via hdmi - it's an in-app function.
Btw if you are trying to output via hdmi while displaying exposure tools I'm assuming you are using it for monitoring ur shots only right? If so do you have exposure tools built in the monitor you can use? That's just as good if not better than the app's tool - monitoring exposure with waveforms is much more accurate than histogram when shooting video IMO and most monitor nowadays have these functions built in including zebra settings.
Yeah I think you're right. It just seems silly that I can't observe the exposure tools on the external monitor. If the visual exposure cues like zebra are solely in-App overlays then it makes sense that it can't be routed back through the HDMI feed. A shame though.

The second screen is indeed for shot selection/settings on a larger screen, hence why the exposure settings would be handy. I'll keep an eye out for monitors with exposure tools in the future as I'm currently recycling old laptop screens because it's quick and easy and 15.6in
The problem is the bandwidth and processing grunt needed over the 5.8ghz link.
The video feed on the slave is taken directly from the Inspire transmitted from the Lightbridge, however, the data overlays are processed in real time(ish) via the app and therefore not output through HDMI.
That makes lots of sense. Being App driven there's no way to route it back through the HDMI out. Using proper photo/video field monitors is the way to go obviously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth