Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video questions.

Reaction score
Hi all, another question from the newbie king.

Using only 1 controller, is there a way for me to lock the camera onto a target, and when I fly, the camera will automatically track the target?

4 examples I can think of:

1. I wanted to fly an ascending circular loop around a grain silo. How do I lock the camera on and fly around keeping the camera steady on the target? I know the camera can't go free rotate continuously past 360 degrees, so of course, I'm talking about rotating the inspire as I'm flying.

2. If I want to fly parallel to a building/person/item of interest (something stationary) and have the camera locked onto the target so that when I fly, the camera pans with the stationary target always in it's sights?

3: similar to 2, if I want to start flying just above the ground with the camera aimed at a stationary group of people, and as I fly up and away (or up and over), the camera will again stay locked onto the target.

4: Last but not least, the exact opposite of 3. If I start filming from above (let's say 300' up), and lock onto my target below, the camera needs to stay locked onto the target as I descend.

Looking really forward to some answers. I am doing a shoot tomorrow that requires at least 3 of these techniques.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the only way you'll achieve the above is by using a second RC with a second operator or by lots and and lots of practice.
Darn!! Consider my bubble burst.
I guess we can always hope, right? I mean, doesn't it just make sense to be able to lock onto a target and have the camera stay there?
I have a second controller, the problem is synchronizing the movement of the i1 and the camera, and finding someone who can shoot decent video with it.
Oh well, I guess that means that I'll have to have lots and lots and lots of practice.

Hold on now. Didn't DJI promise a future IOC feature called "point of interest" for the inspire 1. And wouldn't that enable you to at least circle an object while keeping the camera trained on said object? This would meet your needs for the circular loop around silo.

Last edited:
Yup, found a thread under DJI Inspire 1 Pilot App started by PhantomKid titled "object tracking" that confirms this.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, another question from the newbie king.

Using only 1 controller, is there a way for me to lock the camera onto a target, and when I fly, the camera will automatically track the target?

4 examples I can think of:

1. I wanted to fly an ascending circular loop around a grain silo. How do I lock the camera on and fly around keeping the camera steady on the target? I know the camera can't go free rotate continuously past 360 degrees, so of course, I'm talking about rotating the inspire as I'm flying.

2. If I want to fly parallel to a building/person/item of interest (something stationary) and have the camera locked onto the target so that when I fly, the camera pans with the stationary target always in it's sights?

3: similar to 2, if I want to start flying just above the ground with the camera aimed at a stationary group of people, and as I fly up and away (or up and over), the camera will again stay locked onto the target.

4: Last but not least, the exact opposite of 3. If I start filming from above (let's say 300' up), and lock onto my target below, the camera needs to stay locked onto the target as I descend.

Looking really forward to some answers. I am doing a shoot tomorrow that requires at least 3 of these techniques.
What you are after is called POI (Point Of Interest) mode. It is available on the A2 Flight controller but (as yet) not on the Inspire.
It is rumoured to be coming to the I1 in one way or another, either through DJI or third party app via the SDK.

Reactions: Eye in the sky
What you are after is called POI (Point Of Interest) mode. It is available on the A2 Flight controller but (as yet) not on the Inspire.
It is rumoured to be coming to the I1 in one way or another, either through DJI or third party app via the SDK.
http://autoflightlogic.com will do it, they have a thread arround for the beta of the inspire 1 app

Thank you guys so much.
So there may be hope yet :)
Luis, I'll look into the autoflightlogic.
And in the meantime, I'll wait to see what dji comes up with.

What is SDK ??? Sorry acronyms and I dont get along well sometimes! All I can come up with is Skin Decontaminating Kit!

I don't think there's an automated way to get these shots but they are all doable with one controller, it just takes a lot of practise. I've only been at this a couple of weeks and I'm getting close to being able to pull them off.

1. Flying around a subject with the camera pointed at the subject through the move is probably the hardest, I've been practising this move a lot and it's tough to master because it requires total concentration on the FPV view and good instincts in how to correct each way the aircraft can slip. I've found the best way is to set up with the camera facing forward and then gently roll left or right and keep the camera ponting at the subject by yawing the inspire. The real trick is in maintining the distance to the subject as that requires some pitch control at the same time. Best to practise that one around an object on the ground first rather than something you can fly in too!

A good tip is to keep an eye on the map view or analyse the flight recorder after the flight to see how good the circles you flew were.

2. Running the Inspire in a straight line and yawing to maintain composition can be done in a few ways. The first is to select ATTI mode and then set up the inspire so that it's maintaining momentum past the object of interest. ATTI is a bit like sliding a rock on ice, if you give it a push it will keep going for quite some time until it either slows down itself or you stop it with reverse thrust. Once it's travelling with inertia alone any yaw you apply will have no effect on the direction as long as no further pitch or roll is applied. Wind can have a big effect in ATTI though so be careful. You also have the option of moving the camera instead of the yawing via the control wheel or using the tablet screen.

The other way is to enable IOC and use that. Simply put you point the inspire in the direction you want it to fly and then reset the IOC direction. After that pitch forward and back will alway keep the Inspire on that line regardless of it's yaw.

3 & 4. Keeping the camera on subjects on the ground while you ascend and descend can be tricky too but it's easier to master than 1 & 2. You might need to reduce the sensitivity of the gimbal pitch, I have mine set to 30%

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I don't think there's an automated way to get these shots but they are all doable with one controller, it just takes a lot of practise. I've only been at this a couple of weeks and I'm getting close to being able to pull them off.

1. Flying around a subject with the camera pointed at the subject through the move is probably the hardest, I've been practising this move a lot and it's tough to master because it requires total concentration on the FPV view and good instincts in how to correct each way the aircraft can slip. I've found the best way is to set up with the camera facing forward and then gently roll left or right and keep the camera ponting at the subject by yawing the inspire. The real trick is in maintining the distance to the subject as that requires some pitch control at the same time. Best to practise that one around an object on the ground first rather than something you can fly in too!

A good tip is to keep an eye on the map view or analyse the flight recorder after the flight to see how good the circles you flew were.

2. Running the Inspire in a straight line and yawing to maintain composition can be done in a few ways. The first is to select ATTI mode and then set up the inspire so that it's maintaining momentum past the object of interest. ATTI is a bit like sliding a rock on ice, if you give it a push it will keep going for quite some time until it either slows down itself or you stop it with reverse thrust. Once it's travelling with inertia alone any yaw you apply will have no effect on the direction as long as no further pitch or roll is applied. You also have the option of moving the camera instead of the yawing via the control wheel or using the tablet screen.

The other way is to enable IOC and use that. Simply put you point the inspire in the direction you want it to fly and then reset the IOC direction. After that pitch forward and back will alway keep the Inspire on that line regardless of it's yaw.

3 & 4. Keeping the camera on subjects on the ground while you ascend and descend can be tricky too but it's easier to master than 1 & 2. You might need to reduce the sensitivity of the gimbal pitch, I have mine set to 30%

I hope that helps.
Thanks so much. Very, very, very helpful. Now, when can I come train with you? :).
Practice, practice. Looking forward to trying out your tips.
Thanks again.

Thanks so much. Very, very, very helpful. Now, when can I come train with you?.

Lol will be the blind leading the blind probably. Best advice I can give is to try all this stuff in a big area using markers on the ground, that way there's lots of room for error. This is especially true when flying in ATTI, it's surprising how quickly it can get away from you if your admiring the lovely images and not looking where the bird is.

The other thing is to use the simulator, you can't see an FPV view which is a real shame but you can point the inspire at yourself and try to make it circle you without getting closer or further away. The same is true for ATTI fly by or using IOC, it all works in the sim.

For a lot of these you should go into the options for the C1 and C2 buttons and change one of them to have gimbal control. I don't know the name of it off the top of my head but you can set up the C2 button to change the top right wheel (that normally tilts the gimbal along the Y axis) to being able to pan along the X axis.

It ALMOST makes a slave controller unnecessary...if you're experienced enough flying. Tough to do a smooth 360 view but if you set that C2 button to alternate between pan and tilt...a smooth 180 is pretty easy with one controller.

For a lot of these you should go into the options for the C1 and C2 buttons and change one of them to have gimbal control. I don't know the name of it off the top of my head but you can set up the C2 button to change the top right wheel (that normally tilts the gimbal along the Y axis) to being able to pan along the X axis.

It ALMOST makes a slave controller unnecessary...if you're experienced enough flying. Tough to do a smooth 360 view but if you set that C2 button to alternate between pan and tilt...a smooth 180 is pretty easy with one controller.
I have set it up same way. Top left wheel BTW. Works fine except in wind you will get the legs in view, when panning horizontal. In wind you just need to yaw.

Best way to practise nose-in-round-object IMHO, and the way I trained myself, is to circle around a mark (a bright spot or your landing platform) on the ground. When you're able to keep it in the centre the whole circle, you're ready to circle around bigger 3D objects, the ones you don't want to fly into...........practise with softer things first, like a plant or something like that. It is quite hard to keep an even distance, specially in wind, and forget Atti, certainly in the beginning.

If you just simply start flying around real life objects, cars, houses, etc, you just don't know what you're facing. Pun intended.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool