Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

VR Headset ??

It's a bit pricey but I am using the Epson BT-200 (refurbished developer version. Link below) and a new Colorado-Video video interface DM485CS (only available through moverioaccessory.prelaunch.com. Link below). The Dev. version of the BT-200 are $499 (new ones start at $699). The video interface was also $499. The moverioaccessory.prelaunch.com also has a bundle that you can get both the BT-200 and the DM485CS for $799. I will say that the system works well. It does take a bit of practice to shift your focus from the video input to looking through it to your UAV. Instead of mounting the interface and battery to my controller, I use a short HDMI cable and put the interface and battery in a shoulder slung point-and-shoot camera bag. This also allows me to put a HDMI splitter in the bag and use a second HDMI cable to route a signal to a 4w 5.8ghz transmitter to transmit video to mobile video receivers.
MOVERIO VIDEO INTERFACE DM485CS
HDMI Input Accessory

EPSON BT-200 REFURBISHED DEVELOPER VERSION
Epson Moverio™ BT-200 Smart Glasses (Developer Version Only) - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

BTW, the BT-200 works on an older Android system and can't be upgraded to the latest Android OS. This means that you can't use the DJI GO app on the BT-200. Epson is touting that the new BT-300 coming out later this year will have the latest Android OS and, therefore, will be compatible with the DJI GO app. For now, that means that you have to use an interface to get the whole darn thing to work. Once the BT-300's come out, the interface will not be needed (but both the interface and the BT-200's should be a lot cheaper then!)

Last edited:
I would like to use a VR headset with my inspire 1 Pro, what do I need?
I did some tests with a very cheap yet pretty well designed Cardbox type headset. You just slide your phone in it. The quality with just my Samsung Galaxy Alpha amazed me. we tried Litchi in VR mode on the slave controller for the camera man. Headtracking worked fine. It allowed the cameraman to be completely focussed on the task. I just had GO on the master, as usual.

I wouldn't fly my Inspire with a single controller and VR headset, never ever.

This is the one I got: 3D VR Box Glasses Virtual Reality Headset Helmet For Universal Mobile + Gamepad

Doesn't break the bank and allows you to determine if you really need, want it, at all.

Reactions: Mike Daniels
Last month I saw a demo of a new unit coming to market known as Glyph - very sweet - it has the ability to follow your head movements with the Inspire 1 camera system - check it out.

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
Last month I saw a demo of a new unit coming to market known as Glyph - very sweet - it has the ability to follow your head movements with the Inspire 1 camera system - check it out.
I looked at the Glyph hard for s long time, cons outweighed the pros for me.

I've seen a FPV monitor that is a single monocle that clips onto a pair of glasses what is that one?

I would like to use a VR headset with my inspire 1 Pro, what do I need?
I've done some research and testing before opting for Headplay unit. Top of the line Fatshark goggles are fine having quality display compatible with DJI HDMI output resolution, but they didn't fit my wide face. The same issue I had with Headplay, but the styrofoam housing was easy to carve out a bit on the face wrapping edge and provide a nice fit. Another related problem of mine was with glasses (I'm farsighted). Without them I couldn't focus on the screen. Ended ordering special customized glasses and mounted them permanently inside chamber. This allows for quick and easy removal of entire set when needed.

Why bother with such modifications? By far Headplay has the best quality display and the immersion is almost absolute ... Be aware, however, that this is totally different way of piloting your bird. Practice slowly, baby steps.

Why wouldn't you, can you elaborate?
First hand experience. And the law.
I've had quite some flights wearing a Fatshark while flying my Phantoms, when it was still a hobby. But had some near misses with objects and even people, at least, to me at the time it seemed like too close. I didn't see them coming. Decided then this was not for single user/pilot.

As a commercial pilot I'm not allowed to fly without VLOS. Not going to risk my license.
But it can be great for a payload operator.

Piloting with a VR headset on can be very immersive. It feels very natural after a while. But you can't see whats behind or above and below. Only the 100 degree wide view. You have head tracking but it's very easy to lose sense of the true nose heading. You can reset the gimbal any time but sometimes your physiology tricks you.

So if you were to go out today with the intention of purchasing one with the intention of immersing the client during a flight what would you consider?
This is what I would do (DID). Not saying you should though.
I would get a second controller, if you don't already have one, and a VR box, like I posted before.
The price of the second controller is about the same as a good VR headset. The benefit of this is that you always have the second controller for when you need it. Another benefit is, that smart phone displays are getting better every month. My current Samsung already has a great resolution. Far better than any Fatshark. The next phone will be even better, I change phones every 2 years.

It's very easy to use with Litchi (Android and IOS) in VR mode, as slave. You just run GO on the master/pilot RC. You can switch head tracking on and off in Litchi. It is perfectly possible to fly single with Litchi and VR on the master if you would want.

If you buy a expensive headset now, chances are next year they are so much better. And the second controller serves more purposes of course.

About 20 bucks for just the headset if you already have a second controller. The VR box lenses are adjustable to most eyes. Very light and comfortable.

Reactions: RJ Miller Jr
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have a second controller The need for a high quality VR comes from wanting to give the client the best possible experience. Headplay looks interesting but you have to mod it to work correctly?
Talk to me folks!

Piloting with a VR headset on can be very immersive. It feels very natural after a while. But you can't see whats behind or above and below. Only the 100 degree wide view. You have head tracking but it's very easy to lose sense of the true nose heading. You can reset the gimbal any time but sometimes your physiology tricks you.
I understand your reasoning and I agree. FPV piloting is still a very new territory for me to explore. I'm practicing with my P3P before (and if) I get confident enough to try it with I1P ... I find the Oly 12mm optics very similar to a Phantom camera view. The idea is to research usually low altitude slow flight in tight spaces with P3P first, get the feel and finally film the route with I1P and the gimbal in FPV mode. It's particularly tempting to me when filming landscape in mountainous terrain, canyons, brooks etc. Inspire gives me the stability and the yaw smoothness where Phantom can not provide, aside advanced picture control. Everything in proximity with LOS, nothing crazy. After I'm done filming the sequence I'll usually take the headset off, raise the bird straight up and fly it back safe and above any obstructions. That's the only reason why I bother with the idea of FPV and the Headplay ...

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have a second controller The need for a high quality VR comes from wanting to give the client the best possible experience. Headplay looks interesting but you have to mod it to work correctly?
Talk to me folks!
No, you don't have to do any modifications to Headplay if The Mother Nature equipped you with average shaped skull and good eyes :)... Other minor things I've find in need to modify or address on Headplay? A few:
1. Elastic head strap band is embossed with non-slip vinyl (silicone?) strip, which supposedly should secure the headset firmly. Instead it is painfully tearing your hairs when putting on or taking off. Replaced with a handmade DIY elastic strap ...
2. During particularly hot and humid day your personal glasses will get foggy in minutes and you'll start sweating like a pig (do they sweat?:)). DIY forced ventilation is in the process of development ...
3. Finding the right HDMI cable seems to be a mission impossible. The only flexible enough cable I've found is in H&B Photo stock, link to be provided if so. Must be used with slightly shaved HDMI Std to HDMI Mini adapter. Any other cables are thick and stiff like a bamboo rod, particularly in low temps ...

No, you don't have to do any modifications to Headplay if The Mother Nature equipped you with average shaped skull and good eyes :)... Other minor things I've find in need to modify or address on Headplay? A few:
1. Elastic head strap band is embossed with non-slip vinyl (silicone?) strip, which supposedly should secure the headset firmly. Instead it is painfully tearing your hairs when putting on or taking off. Replaced with a handmade DIY elastic strap ...
2. During particularly hot and humid day your personal glasses will get foggy in minutes and you'll start sweating like a pig (do they sweat?:)). DIY forced ventilation is in the process of development ...
3. Finding the right HDMI cable seems to be a mission impossible. The only flexible enough cable I've found is in H&B Photo stock, link to be provided if so. Must be used with slightly shaved HDMI Std to HDMI Mini adapter. Any other cables are thick and stiff like a bamboo rod, particularly in low temps ...
Hey man thanks! Good to get usable feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters