Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Well, it finally happened on flight #87

Hi all, I've just joined this great forum. I have been flying the I1 for only 2 months and wish to clarify one thing at this stage. How important is it to turn on airplane mode on the iPhone/ipad before flying?

I've been monitoring my compass reading since I've had the I1 and "knock on wood", I haven't had any weird things happen. My compass reading never reaches 1400, instead it always falls within the range of 1350 to 1395. The furthest distance traveled between 2 flying locations has been 50miles and I've calibrated in both places (most recently today) and the readings still remain the same after each successful calibration; between 1350 and 1395.

A question to the Editor and any other savvy helpful contributor:

I have my Flight Evaluation for my CAA PfAW coming up on the 14th June (some 100 miles away from where I normally fly and have calibrated my compass - nice open field with no apparent magnetic interferences). Should I re-calibrate at the Evaluation (also rural but some power lines nearby) or rely on my existing compass calibration? I ALWAYS check my mods before take-off.

A question to the Editor and any other savvy helpful contributor:

I have my Flight Evaluation for my CAA PfAW coming up on the 14th June (some 100 miles away from where I normally fly and have calibrated my compass - nice open field with no apparent magnetic interferences). Should I re-calibrate at the Evaluation (also rural but some power lines nearby) or rely on my existing compass calibration? I ALWAYS check my mods before take-off.
Nope.
If you have a good calibration (and you will know because you will no doubt have completed many flights before your flight assessment) then stick with it.
There is absolutely no need to do a calibration on site.
How bad would you feel if you got to the site, did a calibration on the day and it was skewed? :eek:
Check those mod values (which hopefully form part of your pre-flight checklist) and you're good to go.

Reactions: Michael Morris
Nope.
If you have a good calibration (and you will know because you will no doubt have completed many flights before your flight assessment) then stick with it.
There is absolutely no need to do a calibration on site.
How bad would you feel of you got to the site, did a calibration on the day and it was skewed? :eek:
Check those mod values (which hopefully form part of your pre-flight checklist) and you're good to go.
Thanks, that's my inclination too! I may have to educate my Evaluator too (ever so politely and gently!) My mod values are on the shopping list.

Thanks, that's my inclination too! I may have to educate my Evaluator too (ever so politely and gently!) My mod values are on the shopping list.
Your evaluator/examiner will not offer any advice or input. He/she will only observe and make notes and mark their sheet.
They are not able to offer guidance during your test. (Bit like a driving test). They will give instructions and emergency scenarios and expect you to react accordingly.
You won't have to explain anything to them as they will have both a copy of your ops manual and your FRC's :)

I've been monitoring my compass reading since I've had the I1 and "knock on wood", I haven't had any weird things happen. My compass reading never reaches 1400, instead it always falls within the range of 1350 to 1395. The furthest distance traveled between 2 flying locations has been 50miles and I've calibrated in both places (most recently today) and the readings still remain the same after each successful calibration; between 1350 and 1395.
is the compass reading you refer to not zöthe "mod" value? in that case it should be 1500. or?
someone correct me if i am wrong.

is the compass reading you refer to not zöthe "mod" value? in that case it should be 1500. or?
someone correct me if i am wrong.
Yes, ideally around 1500 but anywhere between 1400-1600 is perfectly acceptable.
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration. It just isn't necessary to do one every flight or every change of flying location.

Yes, ideally around 1500 but anywhere between 1400-1600 is perfectly acceptable.
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration. It just isn't necessary to do one every flight or every change of flying location.

i tried to have it on 1500 but kind of very rarely do any calib... if not really needed...

Michael,

I recently did a BNUC-S flight exam and during pre-flight checks the Examiner asked if I was going to calibrate compass. I said no, as checking mod values are around 1.0 and 1,400-1,600 is specified in Ops Manual and pre-flight check list. He was happy with that.

Good luck with flight exam.

Gary

Reactions: Michael Morris
Michael,

I recently did a BNUC-S flight exam and during pre-flight checks the Examiner asked if I was going to calibrate compass. I said no, as checking mod values are around 1.0 and 1,400-1,600 is specified in Ops Manual and pre-flight check list. He was happy with that.

Good luck with flight exam.

Gary
Thanks Gary. Probably need some luck...lol!

Whoa, didn't realize this could be a problem, congrats to our leader. I will put the on my pre-flight checklist...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont