Well, it finally happened on flight #87

Hi all, I've just joined this great forum. I have been flying the I1 for only 2 months and wish to clarify one thing at this stage. How important is it to turn on airplane mode on the iPhone/ipad before flying?

I've been monitoring my compass reading since I've had the I1 and "knock on wood", I haven't had any weird things happen. My compass reading never reaches 1400, instead it always falls within the range of 1350 to 1395. The furthest distance traveled between 2 flying locations has been 50miles and I've calibrated in both places (most recently today) and the readings still remain the same after each successful calibration; between 1350 and 1395.

A question to the Editor and any other savvy helpful contributor:

I have my Flight Evaluation for my CAA PfAW coming up on the 14th June (some 100 miles away from where I normally fly and have calibrated my compass - nice open field with no apparent magnetic interferences). Should I re-calibrate at the Evaluation (also rural but some power lines nearby) or rely on my existing compass calibration? I ALWAYS check my mods before take-off.

Nope.
If you have a good calibration (and you will know because you will no doubt have completed many flights before your flight assessment) then stick with it.
There is absolutely no need to do a calibration on site.
How bad would you feel if you got to the site, did a calibration on the day and it was skewed?
Check those mod values (which hopefully form part of your pre-flight checklist) and you're good to go.

Reactions: Michael Morris
Thanks, that's my inclination too! I may have to educate my Evaluator too (ever so politely and gently!) My mod values are on the shopping list.

Thanks, that's my inclination too! I may have to educate my Evaluator too (ever so politely and gently!) My mod values are on the shopping list.
Your evaluator/examiner will not offer any advice or input. He/she will only observe and make notes and mark their sheet.
They are not able to offer guidance during your test. (Bit like a driving test). They will give instructions and emergency scenarios and expect you to react accordingly.
You won't have to explain anything to them as they will have both a copy of your ops manual and your FRC's

Actually, I have outlined the need for a compass calibration or not in my Ops Manual, so I am covered. Thanks for your comments.
Good luck with the flight assessment - make sure you know all your boldface procedures off by heart!

is the compass reading you refer to not zöthe "mod" value? in that case it should be 1500. or?
someone correct me if i am wrong.

is the compass reading you refer to not zöthe "mod" value? in that case it should be 1500. or?

Yes the mod is always between 1350 and 1395.

Yes, ideally around 1500 but anywhere between 1400-1600 is perfectly acceptable.
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration. It just isn't necessary to do one every flight or every change of flying location.

Yes, ideally around 1500 but anywhere between 1400-1600 is perfectly acceptable.
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration. It just isn't necessary to do one every flight or every change of flying location.

i tried to have it on 1500 but kind of very rarely do any calib... if not really needed...

Michael,

I recently did a BNUC-S flight exam and during pre-flight checks the Examiner asked if I was going to calibrate compass. I said no, as checking mod values are around 1.0 and 1,400-1,600 is specified in Ops Manual and pre-flight check list. He was happy with that.

Good luck with flight exam.

Gary

Reactions: Michael Morris
Thanks Gary. Probably need some luck...lol!

Whoa, didn't realize this could be a problem, congrats to our leader. I will put the on my pre-flight checklist...