Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Welp this upgrade part 1 of 2

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
Though I would love to get a iMac 5K I just hate to lose my investment in my current video/photo editing build plus I feel that my current setup configuration could rival the 5K and more.

My only dilemma is that while my trusty and an absolute workhorse Nvidia Quadro 4000 can handle most of the editing for 4K it lag on it ability to perform several multitask process. So I need to upgrade some component.

First the brain of the upgrade.
IMG_20150608_115548504_zpsthpglbah.jpg

PS: Once installed I will put my Quadro 4000 up on the Classified Forum if anyone is interested. This is an HP branded version which I found out was one of the most desired branded OEM. Don't know why and how but seasoned video editing folks seem to want HP more than the PNY or the DELL version.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Interested to read about the improvements - my experience tends to show the GPU isn't that useful for video editing unless you go heavy on effects.

I can only say is with the past high-end GeForce gaming graphic card that I've used for video and photo editing did not meet my expectation and ever since I went with what is considered as an industry standard card and with some of the Adobe experts recommend I bit the bullet and got a Quadro. Ever since then I had no issues plus was more efficient and productive ever since. That is until the Inspire with a 4K camera showed up and broke the party.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/nvidia-an...eleration-with-updated-adobe-premiere-pro-cc/

This is pretty much what I am dealing with.

Last edited:
Which geforce cards were you using? I'm still on my 660ti and it blows for editing 4k but whatever, I just go back to transcoding (the good ol days) my machine will edit 720p/1080p like nobodies business, 4k just bogs my system out.

Which geforce cards were you using? I'm still on my 660ti and it blows for editing 4k but whatever, I just go back to transcoding (the good ol days) my machine will edit 720p/1080p like nobodies business, 4k just bogs my system out.

Corrected Statement: my initial response was to indicate that I had the ATI Radeon HD card that is currently being used on my son's computer but found some paperwork of my old GeForce card that I have no clue what ever happened to it. LOL

Anyways also had the EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX before moving to the K4000.

Last edited:
Corrected Statement: my initial response was to indicate that I had the ATI Radeon HD card that is currently being used on my son's computer but found some paperwork of my old GeForce card that I have no clue what ever happened to it. LOL

Anyways also had the EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX before moving to the K4000.

yeah that card definitely won't edit 4k...that's old...I plan on bumpin up to the 980 soon, i've seen that thing hard at work, even an older 780 will do 4k.

I just ran a comparison with GPU acceleration on and off on 4K ProRes and 4K I1 footage in Premiere CC, can't see a difference for simple playback/scrubbing of a raw clip, but if I throw an accelerated effect on it like a fast color corrector it will play at 2fps in software rendering yet play perfectly in real-time with GPU acceleration on. 2-3 accelerated effects still play as good.
That's with a 5/6-year old GTX470, so no need at all for the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately in Premiere not all effects are accelerated, and as soon as you throw one that is not like the lens correction the GPU advantage basically disappears and performance goes down the drain.

I just ran a comparison with GPU acceleration on and off on 4K ProRes and 4K I1 footage in Premiere CC, can't see a difference for simple playback/scrubbing of a raw clip, but if I throw an accelerated effect on it like a fast color corrector it will play at 2fps in software rendering yet play perfectly in real-time with GPU acceleration on. 2-3 accelerated effects still play as good.
That's with a 5/6-year old GTX470, so no need at all for the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately in Premiere not all effects are accelerated, and as soon as you throw one that is not like the lens correction the GPU advantage basically disappears and performance goes down the drain.

Yeah, I've learned to maximize productivity by doing things in a particular order.

Music selection usually comes first for me, then clip selection (gather up all the good bits), then the messy business of layout on the timeline, then chopping away the chaff, then killing "darling" shots (I put on my ruthless director hat) that I know are duplicates, redundant, non-essential or less that top tier, then work the cuts to music.

Then when it's all almost there, iterating with my "artistic director", then and ONLY then do I start grading and correcting.

I usually try to do rendering overnight or while I'm at work, rendering to my Creative Cloud folder so I can see the render when it's done from work after the folder auto-syncs.

Leave the expensive stuff till last is my advice. It'll just bog down your creative process.

Well guys it all depends on your needs are.

So far it seems most of y'all work on shots from the Inspire. Unfortunately for me editing video from the Inspire is only 20% of what I use my equipment for. I also do sports photography, some minor graphic design, and especially non-aerial video for clients with a variety of time consuming video effects. Thus the time = money concept is where I fit in. I would rather keep my K4000 but since now that freaking bird showed me a better tools thus overall I'd rather be the one who, "better have it and not need it versus need it but don't have it" shmuck. :)

Thats crazy! I can't scrub through 4k i1 at all. And that's on a 660ti...Not on software or cuda, I might also add here that I'm on cs6, could be the issue...I can run 4k prores no problem, pretty much any computer can do that, it's a very optimized codec, so running a test on that is kind of irrelevant. My system will play 4k footage just fine outside of premiere but once it comes time to cut stuff it bogs way down. I've seen my buddies SLI 980gtx system, it'll do anything you want it to but he's a mo graph and 3d artist...and a gamer.

And like OC, Inspire footy is the least amount of work I do. All my other vid projects are all 1080, which I have no issues with..software or cuda.

Reactions: Outta Control
Thats crazy! I can't scrub through 4k i1 at all. And that's on a 660ti...
As I said earlier scrubbing I1 4K is crap in Premiere regardless of the machine specs. That post above only related to where a difference could be seen between GPU and non-GPU i.e. timeline playback with effects.

As I said earlier scrubbing I1 4K is crap in Premiere regardless of the machine specs. That post above only related to where a difference could be seen between GPU and non-GPU i.e. timeline playback with effects.

I don't think I understand what you're saying. You never said that scrubbing was "crap." The way you worded your statement made me think that you were implying that you can scrub through 4k i1 footage on gtx470 and it slows down when you add an accelerated effect, which is a given with any video timeline, 720p/1080p/4k

When you compare prores and i1 footage, the way you said it made me think that you saw no difference between the 2 when playing back, scrubbing, cutting, whatever....which prores is fine for playback on most systems.

At the end you said "no need for latest and greatest" which isn't true, a 980gtx will eat 4k for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You never said that scrubbing was "crap."

I did, but I now notice it was actually on another thread where someone complained about Premiere Pro scrubbing performance. I compared 3 machines of various age/performance, one of them having an i7-5960X and GTX970 and the other being 5 years old, and I1 4K scrubbing performance was as bad with all of them. My post in this thread only related to GPU/Non-GPU comparison for playback as my previous tests showed no difference for scrubbing I1 footage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters