Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What caused my Inspire to crash was it a bird or my fault.

Reaction score
I was flying the Inspire 1 and it was about 200 ft high in sight if I was watching it instead of my display.
While watching my display it suddenly started spinning and fell to the ground. By the time I got to it to recover it some people already was bringing it back to me, They said it was far away but it looked like it ran into a bird.
I did not see any birds around it on my screen and one propeller was completely missing. Not broken off but like it came unscrewed. I have crashed drones in the past and broke propellers but never had the propeller hub come completely off the motor screw actually when the propellers hit something they tighten up on the screw and are hard to remove. The thing is I am afraid to fly them if birds are knocking them out of the air or is it more likely that the propeller came off because of my negligence and they just though it looked like it hit a bird.

We do have large buzzard in the area but the only bird I seen that wanted to bother with it was small wrens which I wouldn't think could take it down.

Edit: From the screen it just looked like it started spinning and I believe something came on the screen about motor speed I never seen before but don't know if it was while it was falling or after it hit the ground.

Last edited:
I was flying the Inspire 1 and it was about 200 ft high in sight if I was watching it instead of my display.
While watching my display it suddenly started spinning and fell to the ground. By the time I got to it to recover it some people already was bringing it back to me, They said it was far away but it looked like it ran into a bird.
I did not see any birds around it on my screen and one propeller was completely missing. Not broken off but like it came unscrewed. I have crashed drones in the past and broke propellers but never had the propeller hub come completely off the motor screw actually when the propellers hit something they tighten up on the screw and are hard to remove. The thing is I am afraid to fly them if birds are knocking them out of the air or is it more likely that the propeller came off because of my negligence and they just though it looked like it hit a bird.

We do have large buzzard in the area but the only bird I seen that wanted to bother with it was small wrens which I wouldn't think could take it down.

Edit: From the screen it just looked like it started spinning and I believe something came on the screen about motor speed I never seen before but don't know if it was while it was falling or after it hit the ground.
Sorry to hear of your loss. Loss of a propellor will certainly have the effect you experienced. Are you using self-tightening (screw on) propellors (and if so did you have the plastic locks fitted) or the quick-release type? A rapid deceleration or stop can cause a loosely tightened propellor to unscrew.

For others to help you, you could upload your flight to HealthyDrones.com and share the flight on this thread. This will show all the reports that you would have got on screen.

Reactions: John Archer
Sorry to hear of your loss. Loss of a propellor will certainly have the effect you experienced. Are you using self-tightening (screw on) propellors (and if so did you have the plastic locks fitted) or the quick-release type? A rapid deceleration or stop can cause a loosely tightened propellor to unscrew.

For others to help you, you could upload your flight to HealthyDrones.com and share the flight on this thread. This will show all the reports that you would have got on screen.

No I just tightened them down by hand and didn't use the locks so it is possible that it was my negalance, except for the people that claim it looked like it hit a bird and possibly that could have been mistaken for the prop falling off. Just wondering if hitting something could cause you to loose your entire propeller of course it will break your prop but as far as I have seen the hub is usually still screwed on the motor as it would have to strip the threads to come off.I hate to not be able to fly in this area because of some drone killer birds.
Well I hope to be able to get it put together again I bought a new landing arm. I hope I can fix the worm drive. Lucky this site has a lot of information about repairing it yourself. Hoping the camera wasn't damaged in any way but it works fine on my OSMO.

A CSC would not cause it to spin like described. I sounds like a loosely tightened prop coming off. With there being active braking there is a greater chance of this happening without the locks.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Whenever I do a CSC while flying the simulator it starts to spin immediately. It impossible to CSC without spinning. Left stick in and down is spin to right, right stick in and down doesn't counter that.

But agreed that it seems like a prop lost in flight.
It probably wouldn't have come off completely after crashing. And if it did, it would still be close to the craft somewhere.

Last edited:
Whenever I do a CSC while flying the simulator it starts to spin immediately. It impossible to CSC without spinning. Left stick in and down is spin to right, right stick in and down doesn't counter that.

But agreed that it seems like a prop lost in flight.
It probably wouldn't have come off completely after crashing. And if it did, it would still be close to the craft somewhere.
I was just speaking from experience of an old Phantom 2 that I CSC'D into long grass once. It didn't spin it just fell straight down. It did fly again too! Sturdy little blitters, maybe an Inspire is different...and no, I'm not trying it! :)

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Reactions: Richard in ky
I believe you are probably right about the prop coming off and if it wasn't for the people saying it looked like it hit a bird that is what I would probably had Thought it was. I think they just saw the prop coming off and thought it was a bird. Thanks for your replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74