Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What's happened to this forum?

Reaction score
This used to be a friendly place to visit, even some ladies were on here, everyone helping, advising, pointing out others errors or ignorance.

Now it seems there's too much intolerance, ignorance and trolling going on, as in the real world I suppose.

Lighten up people, enjoy the font of knowledge on here, enjoy the I1 and have fun. You'll be dead a long time!

My theory:

With the growing population of users partly due to the low entry bar to own and fly a multirotor, the group populace looks more and more like the general public and commercial quick-buck for-profit solo operators and less like the more or less friendly and passionate hobbyist of RC past.

The FB groups are very rough and tumble. Sharing information there has gotten me beaten up badly, accused of selling stuff I have no affiliation with and posts with tips turn into screaming matches between other people around the world, turning threads into complete chaos.

I simply deleted a whole posting recently as I didn't have the stomach for it. It went to 150+ responses in 2 hours and was a zoo of intolerance, accusations, name calling, and general bad behavior.

I think it really boils down to the low barrier to entry with the Inspire and P3.

I guess success is a double-edged sword.

Request to all forums members: Please try to be respectful and tolerant of others here, try to be helpful and by all means, have fun!

Last edited:
One more observation: some of the worst threads in this regard appear to be around new ideas or controversial topics where there may be more than one "right" answer or the jury is still out.

One wise person once said that "the only barrier to truth is the belief you already have it."

Keeping an open mind, especially to new ideas, or new tech for more seasoned fliers can be a challenge sometimes as well, myself included. The skeptics in us sometimes prevent us from being open to new data.

Which is fine, but we (myself included) should try to remain respectful even in cases where the someone has done something terribly silly and needs education. We were all there once. :)

The cost has gone down but not by that much. Biggest issue is the learning curve, or lack ther-of. When I started, I almost quit dozens of times because building a quad was hard and flying it was even harder. With no need to build your quad, people do not know their machines nearly as well and at the same time it is just another toy they bought. Not something they spent weeks perfecting and testing themselves. Then when it crashes they blame everyone but themselves because they did not build it. Believe me, I was wishing for licensing the first year of the phantom. I do not think k you should be able to buy or fly without a license, period. It's a barrier to entry that would require some learning.

i think that its just a small part of the problem, i see a lot of people here and in the FB group that think they are entitled to a respond.

they expect full devotion to their problems and that someone else fix it for them, the mention of searching or learning gets a lot of people angry.

there is also a greater expectation of the tech way higher of what its actually capable of. and pointing those limitations often end in name calling or just bashing DJI for their poor job at designing the inspire1.

I mainly just troll this site, all i see on here is people getting roasted for asking simple questions.. When my i1 was on order I posted a thread asking what the actual real world range people were getting with everything stock. Almost instantly I was getting the whole "keep it in your line of sight" (yes I know what I need to fly in my line of sight).
on car forums when people post a thread asking what the top speed of a car is, you don't see everyone on the thread bashing them, and of course its against the law to break the speed limit.

short story, I feel like anything posted just gets bashed.

"the only barrier to truth is the belief you already have it."
An excellent quote, and all very good replies.

I did a job a few weeks ago, I didn't post anything about it. But I had to disable the 500m distance setting (I'm in the UK) imagine the replies if I hadn't put in the full story.

The fact was I was on a fast catamaran doing 30+knots and I got bored with hitting the "set home dynamic" about every odd 30secs.

short story, I feel like anything posted just gets bashed.

Sorry you feel that way, stick with it, there some good sorts on here. :)

Is it possible for the Moderators of this forum to enforce harsher rules for forum member to follow? I'm a member of other forums (completely unrelated subject matter) and they're pretty strictly run - basically 1 warning for certain behavior and banned if it continues.

There is a big difference between constructive criticism and nastiness for the sake of it. The main reason I joined this forum was to learn - I'm not at the stage yet where I have many useful pieces of advice to share with others, but hopefully by learning as much as I can, I'll gain that experience to be useful to others in the future.

If people have to worry about what they write for fearing they'll be harshly criticized for simply sharing their experiences, or worse not sharing their experiences at all, I think the community as a whole will suffer.

Reactions: Kauaigene
Is it possible for the Moderators of this forum to enforce harsher rules for forum member to follow? I'm a member of other forums (completely unrelated subject matter) and they're pretty strictly run - basically 1 warning for certain behavior and banned if it continues.

There is a big difference between constructive criticism and nastiness for the sake of it. The main reason I joined this forum was to learn - I'm not at the stage yet where I have many useful pieces of advice to share with others, but hopefully by learning as much as I can, I'll gain that experience to be useful to others in the future.

If people have to worry about what they write for fearing they'll be harshly criticized for simply sharing their experiences, or worse not sharing their experiences at all, I think the community as a whole will suffer.
that is really hard no the moderators team, policing a forum is no easy task, and it usually ends in a very burnout moderator.

Last edited:
on car forums when people post a thread asking what the top speed of a car is, you don't see everyone on the thread bashing them, and of course its against the law to break the speed limit.

not the same. The day before yesterday I drove 230km/hr legally, (and still got zipped by a couple of M3's and Porches), just across the border in Germany. So at least in that country top speed of a car is relevant information. Besides, you can just take your car to a racing circuit for fun. My old Jaguar has seen a couple of tracks in its life.

For our Inspire1 there's no such facility.

not the same. The day before yesterday I drove 230km/hr legally, (and still got zipped by a couple of M3's and Porches), just across the border in Germany. So at least in that country top speed of a car is relevant information. Besides, you can just take your car to a racing circuit for fun. My old Jaguar has seen a couple of tracks in its life.

For our Inspire1 there's no such facility.

Mid Atlantic? :)

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Perhaps we could get a UAV friendly country list together, I'll start; Morocco, no really, apart from being a stunning country and great people, the only UAV law currently is that you cannot "buy" a UAV in Morocco, but you can bring one in.

There's many desert areas you can rag your UAV around if you wish and the thought of a Moroccan prison cell should stop doing something stupid. :)

Reactions: Black Sky
I must admit I wasn't aware of too much bashing, but I do read less here now and keep my head a little lower. Since I joined here over around a year and a half ago many of the old names seem to be very scarce now. But I have seen other helpful ones surface too.

With my move into the commercial arena I have had a bigger focus personally on safety so I suppose that would colour some of my replies.

I remember replying to a post on another (unmoderated) forum where a UK guy posted a video way, way beyond LOS waypoints mission, narrowly missed a church steeple, twice, hovered over residential area, flew towards high tension lines on pylons, the flight took his Phantom between 2 of the power lines, by chance. Everyone said cool, brill, awesome flight. I braved the waters and pointed out the extreme dangers of his flight as no one else was and suggested for his own sake he take the video down, as it would give the CAA a field day. I got severely roasted from all his pilots mates and supporters, got called goody two shoes amongst worse names. I left the forum it got so bad.

I had no real experience of forums before this one. It's a different world. If people said some of the things said here to my face I would smack them. So it's a bit like growing up on the streets, you get tough skin fast.

No excuse for rudeness and lack of courtesy however.

I know a few women who fly the Inspire - you might want to make reference to them too, not just the 'Gentlemen'. ;)

Hmmm... I too know some ladies and some LGBT folks that fly multi-rotors, however I was referring to whom I believed were gents in this thread. If I have mistaken all here as gentlemen, my apologies. Hugs all round! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AC8

All moderation reports are dealt with almost imidiately. If you ever feel someone is off, just report it and we will deal with it. Most of the bigger trolls are gone but we deal with it behind the scenes. We like to be fair but at the same time we do not want to act like sensors of opinions. Any aggression or distasteful remarks towards others are taken very seriously, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth