Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What's up with USB port no longer working after storage?

Reaction score
I last flew my Inspire 1 with a GL658A controller and using Pilot App 1.0.2 (don't ask) and a Ipad Mini2 in November of 2019. I put it away for the winter and pulled it back out in May 2020 and "disconnected" with no video was all i could get. The controller wasn't fully discharged during storage, and nothing suffered any damage. The controller will put the Inspire in and out of travel mode, and the right roller button makes the gimbal pan up and down. The map shows up on the iPad/controller via the Pilot app but no video feed, and no ability to start engines or communicate with the Inspire (no battery or GPS info; no settings are changeable; I get a timeout message)
I scoured the forums and switched USB cables, checked my gimbal and ribbon cable connections, relinked the RC and Inspire (successfully) all to no avail. The recurring theme suggests something involving USB port A failing, but I have to wonder why is it happening after people store their controllers for long periods? How does one test the USB port? I feel like I can replace the HDMI module, no problem, but before I spend the $, I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook the obvious. Any suggestions?
(and NO I don't want to try to update the firmware unless I absolutely have to)

What does the HD histogram look like?

It's a stretch, but try rebinding the controller to the Inspire. Make sure the controller LED is green.

D

There is no HD histogram display, and yes the controller is green after relinking. Any thoughts?

There is no HD histogram display, and yes the controller is green after relinking. Any thoughts?

No HD menu? Which software are you using??? ALL DJI software has an HD menu. Send a screen shot of your app.

D

It has the menu, but all the buttons are unresponsive; there is no communication between the Pilot app on my tablet and the Inspire. There is no video feed. I am using very old software (intentionally) and it works fine last November which was the last time I flew.

It has the menu, but all the buttons are unresponsive; there is no communication between the Pilot app on my tablet and the Inspire. There is no video feed. I am using very old software (intentionally) and it works fine last November which was the last time I flew.

I'm done trying to help via your written descriptions, which are incomplete and erroneous. Send screen shots that illustrate ALL of your symptoms. Include a screen shot of your "About" page. Otherwise I can't help.

D

Donnie, please dont be impatient with me; im trying. Here are some screenshots. I replaced my HDMI controller board and now I have video from the camera.The indicator for GPS signal shows no signal; the channel menu show no connection on any frequency. The battery menu shows "N/A" for all parameters and reports 0% charge, despite the battery being full and the aircraft on. (slow yellow flashing)

Attachments

• IMG_0034.PNG
    IMG_0034.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0035.PNG
    IMG_0035.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0036.PNG
    IMG_0036.PNG
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
And I thought you meant the Camera's histogram, not the one on the HD menu.

Attachments

• histogram.PNG
    histogram.PNG
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • battery menu.PNG
    battery menu.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Donnie, please dont be impatient with me; im trying.

I don't mind ignorance. We ALL started that way. What I loathe is laziness. As long as you make *effort* to convey your issues in a clear, concise manner, you'll get no complaints from me.

Here are some screenshots. I replaced my HDMI controller board and now I have video from the camera.

Interesting. The first thing that is raising a flag is the screen shot of your GUI. It is unfamiliar. Everything is out of place. I specifically mentioned the Go App earlier. You also said you are using an iPad, which is what I use. Since you didn't comment on my "Go App" comment, I assume that that is what you are using. This is what your Home page should look like with nothing plugged into your iPad. Now granted, I use a legacy version of the Go App. But your next screen shot raised another flag.

1593871900317.png

The next "flag raiser" is your About page. Not only is the App listed as a "Firmware" version, but v1.0.2???? I'm using a legacy version that is v3.1.1. So either you're lying about your iPad (and this is an Android screen shot). Or you lying about your app (you're not using the Go App). Or I'm completely wrong and DJI has made some radical changes to their GUI that I'm unaware of. Please clarify.

1593872316153.png

The indicator for GPS signal shows no signal; the channel menu show no connection on any frequency. The battery menu shows "N/A" for all parameters and reports 0% charge, despite the battery being full and the aircraft on. (slow yellow flashing)

Before we move on to those things, please address my questions and observations.

D

Donnie, so far you have called me "lazy" and a "liar" ; I assure you I am neither. If you could refer to my ORIGINAL post, you will note that I stated concisely that I use Pilot app 1.0.2 (not DJI Go) and an iPad2 mini. The screen shots are authentic. Obviously my software and firmware are legacy, so you might ask yourself why on earth I chose not to upgrade. I bought my Inspire when it first came out, and at THAT time, the software and firmware updates DJI was foisting were problematic. I followed the DJI users forum very closely and was agast at the restrictions DJI was imposing unilaterally to stay PC with the FAA and FCC. There were restrictions on altitude, maximum forward speed, numbers of channels, available,no fly zones (originally more restrictive than NOW) etc and they started making the firmware upgrades MANDATORY, or they would LOCK your drone. I wont bore you with my libertarian beliefs other than to say that DJI violated contract law by unilaterally downgrading the capability of the drone AFTER it was purchased. But what is an individual to do against a foreign corporate giant? Also, back in 2015, forum users were pleading with me to post Pilot app 1.0.2 on the internet so they could downgrade from the f@#%ed up software DJI came out with ( see my my historical postings)
At any rate, my solution was to jailbreak my iPad and put a firewall on it so I could stop the DJI software from phoning home. This worked perfectly well for 5 years until this May when I unpacked it after not using it for 6 months through the winter. I think my firewall was down and something autoupgraded or at least notified DJI that I was being bad.....
So I had previously concluded that I would probably have to upgrade everything to get it working again, but I wanted to pick the brains of you forum guys to see if I had any other options...
Now it was odd that my video feed was out and that I needed to replace the HDMI board to fix it. It is also odd that I have no GPS signal, at least that is being shown on my app. If I must upgrade everything, can I ask which firmware versions and app versions are recommended?

Reactions: Roadblock
Donnie, so far you have called me "lazy" and a "liar" ; I assure you I am neither.

I called you neither. But I apologize if that's the message you got.

If you could refer to my ORIGINAL post, you will note that I stated concisely that I use Pilot app 1.0.2 (not DJI Go) and an iPad2 mini. The screen shots are authentic. Obviously my software and firmware are legacy, so you might ask yourself why on earth I chose not to upgrade.

Apologies. I see that you DID mention the Pilot App specifically. My bad.

So....I suggest you use give the Go App a try. So...download the Go App. If you're feeling saucy, download v3.1.1 (.ipa file). Unfortunately, downloading and installing legacy apps on ANY Apple product is a big deal...and quite honestly a hack. But I can see that you're comfortable with getting under the hood. So getting you into the "zone" may be very doable here.

Note: If you're concerned about "contaminating" your drone with the Go App, then PM me and we'll see if we can't get you hooked up with a legacy version that I BELIEVE will not "contaminate" your Firmware. Clearly, it would be prudent to disconnect from the Internet BEFORE connecting the iPad to the RC.

I bought my Inspire when it first came out, and at THAT time, the software and firmware updates DJI was foisting were problematic. I followed the DJI users forum very closely and was agast at the restrictions DJI was imposing unilaterally to stay PC with the FAA and FCC.

Yep. When I first got mine it came with FW v1.08.xx. My partner purchased 2 Inspire 1's, both donning the same firmware. After doing a FW update, I quickly pushed all 3 drones back to FW v1.08.xx.

Worth noting, I chose to stay with v1.08.xx because it seemed to be the last FW update with actual IMPROVEMENTS instead of just "Nazifying" my drone. I also believe that back in 2016, DJI was still being forthcoming with their release notes. Because I was shooting in the film industry, gimbal and camera improvements were a carrot for me.

1593894284450.png

There were restrictions on altitude, maximum forward speed, numbers of channels, available,no fly zones (originally more restrictive than NOW) etc and they started making the firmware upgrades MANDATORY, or they would LOCK your drone.

Well...the good news is that the NFZ's in v1.08.xx are still fairly liberal, limited to Class C and B airspace. I believe Class D is still open, as my GF lives in Class D space, and I have flown my Inspire 1 there often.

Even better news, the Inspire CAN be hacked to fly in NFZ's, but I honestly haven't found the need for that, so I haven't implemented those hacks yet.

Regarding "mandatory updates," I'm not seeing that. I'm not sure which version started that nonsense, but I have a feeling it's far beyond version 1.08.xx. Perhaps v1.11.xx???

I wont bore you with my libertarian beliefs other than to say that DJI violated contract law by unilaterally downgrading the capability of the drone AFTER it was purchased.

I understand and agree 100%. I've heard nasty rumors that Tesla is following this same model. I'm sure Tesla's EULA probably allows for random, erroneous "changes" in function. It's one of the reasons I will probably never own a Tesla.

But what is an individual to do against a foreign corporate giant? Also, back in 2015, forum users were pleading with me to post Pilot app 1.0.2 on the internet so they could downgrade from the f@#%ed up software DJI came out with ( see my my historical postings)

Very interesting. Seems your ownership predates mine by a few months. I purchased mine around Summer of 2016. I never used the Pilot App. I must say I'm intrigued.

At any rate, my solution was to jailbreak my iPad and put a firewall on it so I could stop the DJI software from phoning home. This worked perfectly well for 5 years until this May when I unpacked it after not using it for 6 months through the winter. I think my firewall was down and something autoupgraded or at least notified DJI that I was being bad.....

Interesting. The hacks I have done have NOT included a firewall for the iPad. I was never a fan of Apple products, but found them to be a necessary evil for professional use. What I CAN say is that, while my present configuration DOES give me reminders and notices, they are easily clicked through and ignored. As you have eluded to, subsequent versions FORCE the user into submission. With the Go App, this starts at v3.1.1.54 (maybe v3.1.54????). I had accidentally allowed the Go App to update and sure enough, I got stuck on a job site unable to fly until I took some godforsaken test or whatever. Fortunately, my SPARE drone and iPad were uninfected by the Naziware, and I was able to finish the job. I rolled back the Go App on the "infected" iPad as soon as I got home. But LESSON LEARNED.

I now have an exit strategy that I can uninstall the Go App and re-install the legacy version in the field via my laptop in minutes. A slight inconvenience is that I lose settings and the 32-channel hack has to be restored, which takes only an extra minute or so.

So I had previously concluded that I would probably have to upgrade everything to get it working again, but I wanted to pick the brains of you forum guys to see if I had any other options...

Well....hopefully I have given you some options here. It sounds like you follow my paradigms to a tee. I have a formula that has kept all three Inspire 1's working perfectly for years. FWIW, I fly my Inspire 1 Professionally about 10 times a month. She's uber reliable and never lets me down. BUT...a modicum of diligence is required to NOT press the WRONG buttons. But I don't think that that would be a problem for someone like you.

Now it was odd that my video feed was out and that I needed to replace the HDMI board to fix it. It is also odd that I have no GPS signal, at least that is being shown on my app. If I must upgrade everything, can I ask which firmware versions and app versions are recommended?

Yes. Here's a copy of my Inspire 1 nomenclature, copied from the Inspire 1's "About" file:

Go App: v3.1.1
App database: v00.00.01.04
Aircraft: v1.8.1.00
Remote: v1.6
X3 Camera: v1.8.1
X5 Camera: v1.11.1.50

NOTE: I have been able to use several X5 cameras with no issues, all with different FW versions.

Here's a video to get you started.

There is a Part 2 that I link to at the end of Part 1. Watch them both. READ THE DESCRIPTION SECTIONS. I think you will find them to be helpful and informative.

D

Last edited:
Donnie, thank you again for your helpful suggestions. I have watched your videos and have learned quite a bit.
I am stubbornly trying to continue using my old FW and app for a couple of reasons.
First, I am a hobbiest and not a professional photographer, so I do not require the cool, newer features of the DJI GO app. I am in a remote, mountainous area so I don't have concerns with NFZ's, but altitude limitations, speed limitations, forced landings, and ESPECIALLY distance restrictions are VERY important. With my ancient software/FW, I have flown 20,000 feet (almost 4 miles) from my home point before video feed started to break up.
Second, I have had difficulty finding copies of the FW version you suggest, as DJI routinely deletes all but the newest version from their site. I found sources from digdat0 which require (1) a Windows computer (which I don't own-always been a Mac guy) and (2) a significant comfort with coding (which I feel I might attempt but, again, no Windows computer )
I have regained my video feed and recently, with fresh install of the ancient Pilot 1.0.2 app, I regained GPS position on my iPad/controller. The Inspire 1 and the controller are linked, Inspire blinks green, and the screen shows "Safe to Fly". My remaining problem is that my controller/iPad does not "talk" to the Inspire. I have video feed but "swiping" a finger on the screen does not control the gimbal. Commands such as "Set home point" "Calibrate compass" "Take off" are all met with timeout messages.Also, none of my 3 batteries will show any charge information, and most importantly, the HD histogram shows no channel selection whatsoever.
There is SOME communication, however, as the controller will toggle travel mode, the right "wheel" does move the gimbal up/down vertically (as I set it to do in the past), and the CSC command will start the motors. I have been too chicken to try flying ATTI with things so out-of-sorts.
So i suspect that the Inspire and controller communicate, but perhaps the controller and the ipad do not. I did get a new HDMI module and I have used several different USB cables. Would you or any of your Mac-knowledgeable associates have any further suggestions? Thanks again...

Donnie, thank you again for your helpful suggestions. I have watched your videos and have learned quite a bit.
I am stubbornly trying to continue using my old FW and app for a couple of reasons.
First, I am a hobbiest and not a professional photographer, so I do not require the cool, newer features of the DJI GO app. I am in a remote, mountainous area so I don't have concerns with NFZ's, but altitude limitations, speed limitations, forced landings, and ESPECIALLY distance restrictions are VERY important. With my ancient software/FW, I have flown 20,000 feet (almost 4 miles) from my home point before video feed started to break up.
Second, I have had difficulty finding copies of the FW version you suggest, as DJI routinely deletes all but the newest version from their site. I found sources from digdat0 which require (1) a Windows computer (which I don't own-always been a Mac guy) and (2) a significant comfort with coding (which I feel I might attempt but, again, no Windows computer )
I have regained my video feed and recently, with fresh install of the ancient Pilot 1.0.2 app, I regained GPS position on my iPad/controller. The Inspire 1 and the controller are linked, Inspire blinks green, and the screen shows "Safe to Fly". My remaining problem is that my controller/iPad does not "talk" to the Inspire. I have video feed but "swiping" a finger on the screen does not control the gimbal. Commands such as "Set home point" "Calibrate compass" "Take off" are all met with timeout messages.Also, none of my 3 batteries will show any charge information, and most importantly, the HD histogram shows no channel selection whatsoever.
There is SOME communication, however, as the controller will toggle travel mode, the right "wheel" does move the gimbal up/down vertically (as I set it to do in the past), and the CSC command will start the motors. I have been too chicken to try flying ATTI with things so out-of-sorts.
So i suspect that the Inspire and controller communicate, but perhaps the controller and the ipad do not. I did get a new HDMI module and I have used several different USB cables. Would you or any of your Mac-knowledgeable associates have any further suggestions? Thanks again...

Yes. Here's a suggestion...

Try a legacy version of the Go App. I recommend v3.1.1, but because you're using a VERY old FW version, I might be tempted to try older versions. To install a legacy version of the Go App you'll need the .ipa file and a legacy version of iTunes and a legacy iOS. But you, being a Mac guy, I'm sure you know all this already. See if you get different telemetry results from the Go App. Can't hurt.

Here's a list I compiled of all the Appextvrsid numbers for the Go App. This will GREATLY reduce your work load. Just FINDING these numbers took hours.

appextvrsid -------DJI Go App Ver
820880627 -------3.1.5
820666061 -------3.1.4
820407003 -------3.1.2
820355650 -------3.1.2
820253287 -------3.1.2
819954562 -------3.1.1
819680461 -------3.1.0
819445476 -------3.0.2
819479619 -------3.0.2
819530076 -------3.0.2
819296121 -------3.0.1
819017958 -------3.0.0
818874204 -------2.9.2
818756168 -------2.9.1
818727826 -------2.9.0
818471755 -------2.8.7
818490017 -------2.8.7
818295240 -------2.8.6
818336564 -------2.8.6
818239482 -------2.8.5
818250414 -------2.8.5
818015288 -------2.8.4
817522546 -------2.8.3
817572162 -------2.8.3
817508323 -------2.8.2
817278603 -------2.8.1
817118268 -------2.8.0
816962519 -------2.7.2
816751249 -------2.7.1
816547767 -------2.7.0
816232239 -------2.6.0
816249216 -------2.6.0
816265475 -------2.6.0
815876501 -------2.5.1
815878759 -------2.5.1
815949783 -------2.5.1
815611197 -------2.5.0
815615585 -------2.5.0
815764145 -------2.5.0
815084483 -------2.4.3
815086904 -------2.4.3
815112170 -------2.4.3
815288287 -------2.4.3
814566170 -------2.4.2
814584509 -------2.4.2
814760906 -------2.4.2
814414870 -------2.4.1
814445173 -------2.4.1
814493632 -------2.4.1
813848230 -------2.4.0
813856913 -------2.4.0
813876776 -------2.4.0
813919876 ------- 2.4.0
813321065 -------2.3.0
813502052 -------2.3.0
813521419 -------2.3.0
813523578 -------2.3.0
813665930 -------2.3.0
813098150 -------2.2.0
813037514 -------2.1.0
812752484 -------2.0.0
812940093 -------2.0.0
812643015 -------1.2.0
812459200 -------1.1.2
812332348 -------1.1.1
812042400 -------1.0.3
811778986 -------1.0.2
811816666 -------1.0.2
810766904 -------1.0.0.6

If you do NOT understand the iOS environment and how to make it do what you want it to do, well then I recommend you get a Windows machine. It's been my experience that 99% of loyal Mac users know almost nothing about the machines they profess loyalty to. I'm not saying you're that guy, I'm just saying most Mac users are.

The EASY thing would be to install the latest version of the Go App, but I honestly don't trust it. Install it but DO NOT OPEN it until you have disconnected from the Internet - and STAY off. THEN open the app and see if you get telemetry. With any luck, the Pilot App will cache your maps for you, which SHOULD port over to the Go App...but who knows....

Good luck!

D

Last edited:
Donnie,

You have been more than helpful, Thank You! Unfortunately, I have still found no good solution, even with your recommendations, and I have been in contact with Steve (digdat0). It is no longer possible to do the iTunes 12.3.1/Charles app. downloads for earlier DJI GO versions, because Apple disassociated iTunes from app handling, and now all app stuff must be done through the App Store. Digdat0's modded software may be an option if I can find a buddy with a PC and a bit of programming savvy. Hell, I'd even buy an Android tablet if I needed to just to be able to fly again,
On ANOTHER note, what do you think of Lichti software? I will buy it and try it if you think it might work for me....

Donnie,

You have been more than helpful, Thank You!

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have still found no good solution, even with your recommendations, and I have been in contact with Steve (digdat0). It is no longer possible to do the iTunes 12.3.1/Charles app. downloads for earlier DJI GO versions, because Apple disassociated iTunes from app handling, and now all app stuff must be done through the App Store.

OMG...seriously? Well that's maddening.

Digdat0's modded software may be an option if I can find a buddy with a PC and a bit of programming savvy. Hell, I'd even buy an Android tablet if I needed to just to be able to fly again,

Well...you have certainly put forth the effort. Let's get you those .ipa files. Now, beware that these .ipa files are for iOS, not Android. You will need a Windows machine and a legacy version of iTunes to install the .ipa files to your iPad. I recommend iTunes v12.5.4.42. This is better than the version Steve recommends.

On ANOTHER note, what do you think of Lichti software?

I've never tried it. For mapping I use MapPilot and for Automated Video I use AutoPilot. A lot of people like Litchi, but I DO see it pop up in the forums with issues.

I will buy it and try it if you think it might work for me....

The .ipa files are about 200MB each...too large for email. Once you get set up with a Windows machine and legacy iTunes, let me know and we'll move forward with getting those .ipa files to you. I believe all versions of iTunes is still available on the Apple website. Unfortunately, I don't have the link. Steve might have that.

Good luck.

D

You're the man! I am happy to give your .ipa files a try; I have a working legacy iTunes version and there are several programs such as iFunBox that can transfer them to the iPad as long as they are iOS versions. Please contact me at [email protected] and we can make payment arrangements for your flash drive and postage.

You're the man! I am happy to give your .ipa files a try; I have a working legacy iTunes version and there are several programs such as iFunBox that can transfer them to the iPad as long as they are iOS versions. Please contact me at [email protected] and we can make payment arrangements for your flash drive and postage.

I'll just park them on the cloud for download. I'll try to get this done today.

D

Donnie, if you had time to post those .ipa files you were speaking of, coould you point me to the link please?

Donnie, if you had time to post those .ipa files you were speaking of, coould you point me to the link please?

There's only one .ipa file for the Go App v3.1.1. Go here:

Let me know when you got it so I can free up my cloud space. I'll keep it up for 24 hours, as I don't want to become an .ipa file server....<;^)

Regards,

Donnie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Udaipurescort66