Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

x3 gimbal only works on free mode?

Reaction score
My x3 gimbal will only work while I put it in the free mode. While in free mode it locks on and stays there no matter how I move the drone. While in follow mode it moves around somewhat with the drone but not locked in like it should be. Fpv works the same way as follow. Really makes it hard to do any filming with the camera all over the place. It will center properly when I hit the center option. I have updated the firmware on the controller and bird and have also downgraded the firmware to 1.08 with no luck. The gimbal will make its buzz noise when picking different modes. Any advise? I am beginning to think maybe the gimbal is bad.
thanks
Jeff

This sounds like a hardware issue to me. FW v1.08.xx is the sweet spot. Make sure both the camera and the drone are on the save FW version. Barring that, I would check the contacts between the camera and the drone. Take a macro photo of each, as that is the only real way to inspect those surfaces.

D

All the firmwares are at 1.08 and controller on 1.6 as for your recommendation.
I removed the camera and inspected the contacts with a jewelers loop and took light sandpaper to clean the contacts. I saw nothing wrong. Don’t know if this helps information wise but the gimbal will move some slightly side to side with the yaw stick while in follow and fpv mode but not at all while in free mode. I was hoping to find someone local to install my camera on their inspire to test but have yet to find anyone.
thanks for any help
Jeff

All the firmwares are at 1.08 and controller on 1.6 as for your recommendation.

Good. Stick with those.

I removed the camera and inspected the contacts with a jewelers loop and took light sandpaper to clean the contacts. I saw nothing wrong.

Good.

Don’t know if this helps information wise but the gimbal will move some slightly side to side with the yaw stick while in follow and fpv mode but not at all while in free mode.

That is normal behavior.

I was hoping to find someone local to install my camera on their inspire to test but have yet to find anyone.

You can use the iPad to move the camera in Free Mode and Follow Mode. Here's a video I made on how to do that.

Good luck.

D

Donnie
I watched the video and mine works the same as in the video. To make sure I am not wrong but when in fpv the camera should lock in place no matter the position of the bird so that it doesnt move at all. During follow mode the gimbal will always point forward but will stay pretty much level as the bird is tilts rt/left and forward/ backwards? If that is correct that is what mine isnt doing correctly.
thanks
Jeff

Donnie
I watched the video and mine works the same as in the video. To make sure I am not wrong but when in fpv the camera should lock in place no matter the position of the bird so that it doesnt move at all. During follow mode the gimbal will always point forward but will stay pretty much level as the bird is tilts rt/left and forward/ backwards? If that is correct that is what mine isnt doing correctly.
thanks
Jeff

I hate to ask the obvious, but you've made no mention of calibrating the camera/gimbal. Have you done that?

D

Yes, calibration has been done. I might have found a guy local that has an inspire that is willing to help. Hopefully that works out.
Thanks
Jeff

Yes, calibration has been done. I might have found a guy local that has an inspire that is willing to help. Hopefully that works out.
Thanks
Jeff

My experience is that the X5 will work perfectly REGARDLESS of Firmware version. I have no experience with mis-matched firmware versions with the X3, but I imagine your experience should be the same. Just beware...

D

wasnt able to get up with anyone yet to test my gimbal. Dont want to be a total idiot but would a third party app work with and control the camera and gimbal differently? Might be the ticket along with getting a mission option.
thanks
jeff

wasnt able to get up with anyone yet to test my gimbal. Dont want to be a total idiot but would a third party app work with and control the camera and gimbal differently? Might be the ticket along with getting a mission option.
thanks
jeff

GS Pro is another first-party app you can try. But based on your symptoms, I don't think it's the app. But give it a shot.

D

I was able to meet up with a guy Friday and tried his camera on my inspire. It did the exact same thing. No fpv of follow mode. What was discouraging was after he flew his with his camera it worked the same exact way, no fpv or follow mode. Now I have to wonder if others are having the same issue or something on my inspire might have messed up his camera.
Jeff

Just spitballin' here....

The X3 Firmware should match the bird's firmware. Your bird may have changed his camera's firmware.

D

Can someone please confirm the operation of their gimbal for m? My thinking is while in fpv mode the gimbal should not move at all. No tilt, roll yaw. while in follow mode it will not yaw but will tilt and roll. I posted a video on dji's forum of what it is doing and was initially told that it was normal operation. I think they are wrong but I may be all wet in my thinking.
thanks
Jeff

Can someone please confirm the operation of their gimbal for m? My thinking is while in fpv mode the gimbal should not move at all. No tilt, roll yaw. while in follow mode it will not yaw but will tilt and roll. I posted a video on dji's forum of what it is doing and was initially told that it was normal operation. I think they are wrong but I may be all wet in my thinking.
thanks
Jeff

I have deleted your other thread on exactly the same subject since if you read our rules we do not allow duplicate/multiple threads to be started on the same subject.

No - you have it completely wrong.

Free mode - The camera will be locked in one position no matter the orientation/movement of the aircraft (Mostly used in two person setup since the camera will be controlled by the slave controller).
FPV mode - there will be some roll and a degree of yaw as though to simulate an aircraft flying (nobody uses this mode for filming....it's pretty pointless)
Follow mode - The camera will follow the directions of the aircraft but there will be an element of pre yaw around the deadband of +/- 5 degrees

Have you used Google/YT?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207