Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

..X5..12mm Olympus Lens.. 4K..

Reaction score
Tried out the 12mm Olympus lens today..it is a better lens than the DJI 15mm for controlling yaw and flying FPV...and it balanced nicely with the gimbal.. there is a lot to be seen as to what these lenses can do... i am sure there will be stunning results to come...

Really great footage. I'm not super impressed with my DJI 15mm and will probably upgrade to the Olympus. Are you shooting in DLog? I didn't see any shadow banding or posterization on your footage.

Really great footage. I'm not super impressed with my DJI 15mm and will probably upgrade to the Olympus. Are you shooting in DLog? I didn't see any shadow banding or posterization on your footage.
Thanks Cloud Prime... yes mate DLog.. your right about the15mm it has limited video use because of its FOV... the 12mm has a much more versatile lens for video... i am so glad i got the 12mm...

Thanks Cloud Prime... yes mate DLog.. your right about the15mm it has limited video use because of its FOV... the 12mm has a much more versatile lens for video... i am so glad i got the 12mm...
My 12mm just arrived today. Hoping for some much better footage.

Are you seeing any color banding in the shadows? It looks like black hole data (in the bottom right) like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 10.50.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 10.50.32 AM.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 49
Nice test, beginning to think I should have got the 12 mm. Did you ever get to the bottom of why the FOV was narrower and more distorted on 30p vs. 60p on the 15 mm lens? I just mounted up our X5 w/Leica 15mm today but it's snowing outside so can't do much by way of testing.
Thank you for these videos.

My 12mm just arrived today. Hoping for some much better footage.

Are you seeing any color banding in the shadows? It looks like black hole data (in the bottom right) like this:
I am still in the learning stage with this camera .. not being a photographer the transition from the X3 to the X5 was a big step for me... but... the difference with the 12mm as far as shooting video and controling yaw is much better than the 15mm....

Nice test, beginning to think I should have got the 12 mm. Did you ever get to the bottom of why the FOV was narrower and more distorted on 30p vs. 60p on the 15 mm lens? I just mounted up our X5 w/Leica 15mm today but it's snowing outside so can't do much by way of testing.
Thank you for these videos.
No mate.. there has been no response to the FOV issue ... your right about the 12mm its a better lens... the 12mm also has the same FOV issue ..

No mate.. there has been no response to the FOV issue ... your right about the 12mm its a better lens... the 12mm also has the same FOV issue ..
Good to know it has the same issue. I may return the 15 mm, but would like to see what I can get out of it as the price difference between the two is about $250 here in Canada. If 1080p60 is the only setting that makes use of the entire sensor I would assume this bug would be addressed in a firmware update. Too early to judge as we are still essentially on V1.0 of X5 firmware.

The 15mm is useless. I think this has swaded me to buy the 12mm. So many of my shots have lost that wow factor because its too zoomed in. I think I'll get the 12mm & a 70mm for some tight details shots.

The 15mm is useless. I think this has swaded me to buy the 12mm. So many of my shots have lost that wow factor because its too zoomed in. I think I'll get the 12mm & a 70mm for some tight details shots.
Have you udated the X5 with the new FW ?... i think it has addressed your concern's... the FOV has changed and so has the sharpness ...

FOV is determined by the lens'/focal length and by the sensor.

The larger the area of the sensor is used, the wider the FOV. And the smaller the area of the sensor is used, the narrower the FOV.

Last edited:
Have you udated the X5 with the new FW ?... i think it has addressed your concern's... the FOV has changed and so has the sharpness ...

By my eye the FOV is the same as before, still not using the full sensor on the lower frame rates...

Word. Well I've got the 15mm packed up and ready to go back to B&H while my Olympus 12mm is on its way. Hopefully I'll get some better results.

Opps, sorry, thought I had answered this one....

I got an answer back from R&D:

'Actually 1080P60 uses full FOV and sensor binning. 1080P30 uses ISP binning. 4KP30 can't output the full FOV because of the sensor readout speed.
X5: 4KP30 and 1080P30 are with the same FOV while 1080P60 is slightly larger.
GH4: 1080P30 and 1080P60 are with the same FOV while 4KP30 is slightly smaller'.

There's your answer - Please don't shoot the messenger!

Reactions: ianwood
Opps, sorry, thought I had answered this one....

I got an answer back from R&D:

'Actually 1080P60 uses full FOV and sensor binning. 1080P30 uses ISP binning. 4KP30 can't output the full FOV because of the sensor readout speed.
X5: 4KP30 and 1080P30 are with the same FOV while 1080P60 is slightly larger.
GH4: 1080P30 and 1080P60 are with the same FOV while 4KP30 is slightly smaller'.

There's your answer - Please don't shoot the messenger!
So we have an MFT sensor but can't actually use it because the readout speed (I'm assuming processor) is too slow... Is that correct?

So we have an MFT sensor but can't actually use it because the readout speed (I'm assuming processor) is too slow... Is that correct?
Certainly sounds that way.
Like I said...DJI know multirotors but they are totally clueless when it comes to cameras. Their inexperience in this area really shows in every imaging device they have brought to market thus far.

Certainly sounds that way.
Like I said...DJI know multirotors but they are totally clueless when it comes to cameras. Their inexperience in this area really shows in every imaging device they have brought to market thus far.
Sigh... So I would assume the same problem plagues the X5R as well?
Kind of silly when you think about it... Why invest all that time and R&D only to cripple the end product with a slow processor that can't keep up.

Reactions: Steven Powter
There is no comparison between the original FJI lens and the Olympus. Olympus hands down winner. I got some really good stills out of the DJI but the video was less than perfect. Maybe I'm not advanced enough to set it properly but the Olympus 12mm for me is just set it and go flying. I will keep testing but for now it's pretty sweet happy flying guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207