Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R: Looking for reason to not buy

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post here. Apologies for the dumb question but I’m curious what people think about the x5r in regards to purchasing it in today’s climate. Just found a brand new unit on Amazon for $1300. Definitely the Raw version as I quadrupled checked. The price drop was enough for me to pull the trigger but I’m concerned about other issues like dji no longer offering any service for inspire 1. Any other issues I might not be thinking of?

Thanks!

If you're lucky, the SSD card and reader will come with the camera in a nice form fit case. The X5R is a wonderful camera, it shoots in RAW, 4K, 1080, transcode to any flavor of ProRes! The only downside is if you need to record audio, there is a rather loud cooling fan that is on when in use. I use the X5R with the Inspire and the Osmo. The image quality is superb.

If you're lucky, the SSD card and reader will come with the camera in a nice form fit case. The X5R is a wonderful camera, it shoots in RAW, 4K, 1080, transcode to any flavor of ProRes! The only downside is if you need to record audio, there is a rather loud cooling fan that is on when in use. I use the X5R with the Inspire and the Osmo. The image quality is superb.

Thanks Eyeinthesky, it comes with a 512 card. I bought a reader from BHphoto.

I totally agree that it’s a great camera. I never was interested in X5...all that quality lost on a 60mbs h264. With the X5r I’m just concerned about DJI phasing out parts and service for the inspire or other issues I’m not thinking of.

We agree you will get service for a while as needed on both the X5R and the platform you are using to fly it. We still have one we demonstrate on an M600 to clients.

The only other downside that has not been mentioned is the use of the DJI Cinelight software to get the videos from your SSD to your computer. Its not a great tool, but something you can live with to get the RAW video shooting capability in a drone at that price point.

If you have any questions about it or when you start using it (or need anything else), just let us know.

The Cinelight software is not that bad for what it delivers. I find that my late 2012 iMac handles the transcoding with no problems. The only hick ups can be having to restart your computer after you launch Cinelight to get all the new files on your connected SSD and reader to show up in Cinelight? I also like to set the X5R to record RAW 1080p then I transcode to 422HQ ProRes for my project. Footage is rich and grades well. I use the 4K RAW when I need the best quality, but at slightly longer transcode times.

Last edited:
The Cinelight software is not that bad for what it delivers. I find that my late 2012 iMac handles the transcoding with no problems. The only hick ups can be having to restart your computer after you launch Cinelight to get all the new files on your connected SSD and reader to show up in Cinelight? I also like to set the X5R to record RAW 1080p then I transcode to 422HQ ProRes for my project. Footage is rich and grades well. I use the 4K RAW when I need the best quality, but at slightly longer transcode times.
Yep - well said. Its really just more of a workflow irritant vs an actual hindrance of any type. And its tough to beat to get 4K RAW footage from a drone.

Hey all,

First post here. Apologies for the dumb question but I’m curious what people think about the x5r in regards to purchasing it in today’s climate. Just found a brand new unit on Amazon for $1300. Definitely the Raw version as I quadrupled checked. The price drop was enough for me to pull the trigger but I’m concerned about other issues like dji no longer offering any service for inspire 1. Any other issues I might not be thinking of?

Thanks!
Just be cautious, there are a few scams on Amazon, some that are just after your Amazon info and some that have bogus sales etc, I've come across a few of them.

The image quality from raw files compared to everything else is in my opinion not comparable. I come from still photography, and it's not a quality option to color after balance baked-in (JPG, h264 etc) material, as I see it. The X5R has it quirks, but handled properly and with some patience, it delivers the goods, which cannot be had for that little money in other hardware.

Reactions: Mixchief
We agree you will get service for a while as needed on both the X5R and the platform you are using to fly it. We still have one we demonstrate on an M600 to clients.

The only other downside that has not been mentioned is the use of the DJI Cinelight software to get the videos from your SSD to your computer. Its not a great tool, but something you can live with to get the RAW video shooting capability in a drone at that price point.

If you have any questions about it or when you start using it (or need anything else), just let us know.
what does work flow look like in windows as cinelight is not available on windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop