Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

Feet up, I put a B&W clear filter (metal & glass) on the X5 with Olympus 45mm lens, and it is almost balanced, slightly nose light. Good enough to test it out over the past weekend. A metal hood with a small piece of lead velcroed on balances perfectly.

I've recently purchased an Olympus 45mm lens and it's been tough. The FOV is harder to judge, and every movement is amplified, but I can get over this with practice. However, he biggest issue for me is my camera seems to drift down and to the right in flight. Not really sure if this is a balance issue or not. It sets balanced fine on the ground when moved to any location without power. I'm using the step up and a polar pro PL filter. Anyone have this issue or ideas on the cause?

T-Bolt, I tried my 45mm with the Glass filter last Saturday on my Inspire 1 Pro. As I said above it was almost balanced with the filter without power. It functioned very well without any drift. I agree with u, it's more difficult to use, with Autoflight Autopilot, I misjudged the reduced FOV and yaw rate.

The Oly45 is trivial to balance. Just get the DJI balance ring for it ($9) and save the bother of a step-up ring and filter. You can fly the 45 unbalanced if you really want to, but it is not good for the gimbal motors, although I have done it in a pinch (before I had the balancing ring).
As to the Sigma60, give me a couple of days. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

that's great unless the lighting in your shot requires filtration.

T-Bolt, I tried my 45mm with the Glass filter last Saturday on my Inspire 1 Pro. As I said above it was almost balanced with the filter without power. It functioned very well without any drift. I agree with u, it's more difficult to use, with Autoflight Autopilot, I misjudged the reduced FOV and yaw rate.

Ya I think the I1 would be different then the I2 - different camera/gimbal. My set up appears perfectly balanced without power.
After more practice I've noticed sometimes it does not drift and sometimes it does. You DEFINITELY need to auto calibrate before each flight IMO - at least so far that's been my experience.

Curious to hear further input/feedback on balancing with the X5S and Lumix 14-42mm. I have worked with two clients who have now said that the balance rings aren't the complete solution to balance this lens. We do not have one in-house to test ourselves. Anyone have any further experience or insight they can share on the 14-42?

Only another note I saw we just got more stock of Balance Rings for the X5S: Zenmuse X5S Balancing Rings | Advexure

Hi folks.. very curious to see what others have experienced here.. I have this lens and the two dji balance rings as listed. I notice a beeping noise coming from the camera on either 42mm or 14mm. Is this the norm? When I remove the balance rings there is no beeping at all and less noise from the gimbal. seems to me like the standard rings are too heavy? If I have teh large balance ring on minus the smaller 6g one the beeping stops but there is a slight noise when moving focal lengths. Without either of the rings it is silent.

Last edited:
I have been flying the LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25/F1.4 on the X5S. Very sharp except at the corners and has a wonderful look to the images. You can read about the lens elsewhere.

Works, but aperture in Manual Mode must be changed using the camera control wheel on the remote as the on-screen menus will not change aperture. Works fine in AF but have not yet been able to get it to calibrate for MF.

I used a 42g button of lead on the rear (for pitch balance) and a US quarter on the side of the pitching motor (for roll balance). No flight issues.

Where do you recommend that I purchase the lead buttons/ velcro from?

Hey Ralph question. I flew the inspire 2 with the 25mm panasonic summilux 1.4 for the first time and i had a few questions.

1. If you can't focus using the screen then how else are you supposed to manually focus. (the lens calibration wasn't working for me)
  2. Have you ever had trouble auto foucsing because it seems to be very difficult on my end to get the auto focus right.

Has anyone messed with the Oly 14-42? I’m interested in it but is it worth it on the x5s? I read there’s a compatibility issue with zoom (not a kill for me is the issue is still there). If anyone does have it what model number was used? So I don’t end up buying the wrong one

Works fine with my 14-42, it’s not the greatest quality glass but at least the x5s seems to correct distortions unlike the x5 so a slight improvement. This is the one I have, all compatibility stuff is on the DJI site by the way. You will need to get the x5s balancing ring which is different to x5 with two filter rings Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Lens - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0TUQX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RANPBbKR0T9KA

Reactions: Phil DeVore
a US quarter on the side of the pitching motor (for roll balance).
What is the exact weight of the US$ quarter?
Not all mankind lives in USA, there are humans even outside USA, the most of them don't have and don't handle American coins...
Is it 5.67g?

I too velcroed a coin (from where I don’t recall) on the side of my X5. Just experiment until it works. But found I also had to Velcro a little lead at the rear ( 45 mm) to get it all balanced. A piece of lead pipe from the hardware store and Velcro makes a good kit that balances all combinations of lens hoods, filters and lenses.

Hello!
Is anyone tried OLYMPUS 12-50MM F/3.5-6.3 M.ZUIKO ED EZ? The weight is 220 gramm, is it too heaey to try?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop