Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse X5/X5R - Compatiable Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Website
www.moraysky.co.uk
The release announcement for the Zenmuse X5/X5R lists 3 compatible Micro Four-Thirds (MFT) lens:
  1. DJI MFT 15 mm f1.7 ASPH Prime Lens (35mm equiv 30mm) FOV 72 deg (£499)
  2. Olympus Micro Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 lens (equiv 24mm) FOV 84 deg (£549)
  3. Panasonic Lumix 15mm G Leica DG Summilux f1.7 ASPH lens (equiv 30mm) FOV 72 deg (£479)
This raises a number of questions in my mind:
  1. Will other lens be made available or compatible?
  2. Are these 3 lens the only ones the X5 firmware will accept or can other MFT lens be fitted?
  3. What is the maximum mass and length of the lens that can be fitted to the X5?
  4. Will zoom lens(es) be made available/compatible?
I ask because I own the Olympus OM-D E-M1 MFT DSLR with a range of lenses. I would love to be able to use my 45mm or, pushing it a little, my 75mm. And what about Olympus' 35mm f3.5?

Reactions: Enal
My take:
- Those 3 (2 actually...) are all that will be "officially" supported
- The cam has a standard mount, so you technically can mount whatever you please, but:
- It might require modding/hacking to make it work as no balance adjustment has been designed into the gimbal, and performance will be what it happens to be, impossible to know without actually testing.

Reactions: Scotflieger
The release announcement for the Zenmuse X5/X5R lists 3 compatible Micro Four-Thirds (MFT) lens:
  1. DJI MFT 15 mm f1.7 ASPH Prime Lens (35mm equiv 30mm) FOV 72 deg (£499)
  2. Olympus Micro Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 lens (equiv 24mm) FOV 84 deg (£549)
  3. Panasonic Lumix 15mm G Leica DG Summilux f1.7 ASPH lens (equiv 30mm) FOV 72 deg (£479)
This raises a number of questions in my mind:
  2. Are these 3 lens the only ones the X5 firmware will accept or can other MFT lens be fitted?
  3. What is the maximum mass and length of the lens that can be fitted to the X5?
I ask because I own the Olympus OM-D E-M1 MFT DSLR with a range of lenses. I would love to be able to use my 45mm or, pushing it a little, my 75mm. And what about Olympus' 35mm f3.5?
Oh man I'm happy with this.Finally a camera for photoshooting with options.In my eyes the best new feature 't ill so far.Better going to safe money now.

In this video, a DJI representative talks about this, and says that they are working on lens profiles:

The only question: what happens when you attach a lens that does not have a profile in the firmware? Best-case scenario is that it has an intelligent default, and will work. Worst-case scenario is it rejects the unknown lens, and refuses to record anything or even take off.

This is fantastic news, I had strong vibes on the m43 sensor but didnt expect interchangable lenses which is brilliant!!! I too have a large selection of m43 lenses and will certainly be interested in being able to use the 45mm. I think my only concern at the moment are the bitrate, I am very suprised its set at 60, and also how much flight time will get knocked. Hopefully will still get over 10mins,

Got to remember also, this is under 7kg with an m43 sensor so a good 10mins will still be sufficient with the tb47. I could only get about 7mins with the s900 and keeping the rig under 7kg.

This is fantastic news, I had strong vibes on the m43 sensor but didnt expect interchangable lenses which is brilliant!!! I too have a large selection of m43 lenses and will certainly be interested in being able to use the 45mm. I think my only concern at the moment are the bitrate, I am very suprised its set at 60, and also how much flight time will get knocked. Hopefully will still get over 10mins,

Got to remember also, this is under 7kg with an m43 sensor so a good 10mins will still be sufficient with the tb47. I could only get about 7mins with the s900 and keeping the rig under 7kg.

You can only use those other lenses if there is a profile for it built into the DJI software, otherwise, the gimbal will not know how to handle the change of weight distribution. Just FYI.

You can only use those other lenses if there is a profile for it built into the DJI software, otherwise, the gimbal will not know how to handle the change of weight distribution. Just FYI.
They need to start profiling more lenses then. The Olympus 45mm is actually lighter that the 12mm already approved.

Last edited:

Flight time reduced by 3 minutes from 18 to 15 on TB47 battery according to CNET review.

his raises a number of questions in my mind:

1) Give it time someone will come out with an adapter.
2) Based on what I saw and heard these are the only ones for now.
3) I have no idea as they have not provided the specs.
4) I believe this will be a difficult task but there was a thread about a drone with a zoom lens on it. Remember a good glass has some weight to it.

Crap.

I knew I should have went to interdrone.

I think Yuneec is a great alternative but that camera looks very plastic.

Looks very prototype-y even though the guy claimed it is not. Doesn't look as nice as the X5, and there is no spec. Not sure how they do 3x optical zoom but competition is good, right?

My friend at the Ocean Alliance (the SnotBot guy) has his hands on one of these, and is flying it tonight. Unfortunately, I can't go due to a PTO meeting. And unfortunately, he's taking it to Argentina on Friday to actually use it on actual whales.

When they first announced the SnotBot project, DJI promised to give him two Inspires, but never did. Yuneec stepped up by giving him two of the lower-end drones, plus this high-end Tornado.

When he gets back, I will try to get a chance to fly it and report back here.

I'm optimistic there will eventually be a profile built for both the Olympus 45mm f1.8 & Panasonic 20mm f1.7 into the DJI software for proper weight distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop