Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.2.1.0 up on DJI download page

I'm pretty mystified at all these reports of FW upgrade issues.

I followed the instructions, everything upgraded smooth as butter: AC, 2 remotes and 6 spare batteries, in that order, just like in the instructions.

What's going on?

Reactions: PB30X and Bahamasky
I'm pretty mystified at all these reports of FW upgrade issues.

I followed the instructions, everything upgraded smooth as butter: AC, 2 remotes and 6 spare batteries, in that order, just like in the instructions.

What's going on?
The fact that it worked for you does not imply that it is well-implemented.

The procedures are very difficult to follow. They require far too much care and attention on the part of the owner. And the update code itself is quite brittle.

DJI's software engineers have just done a poor job of this. This was true of their Vision+ code as well.

Ok but...

It's the same HW, presumably. If you follow the instructions how can we end up with so many failures?

I am missing something here.

I suspect it has something to do with "marginal timing" on some birds? I keep getting some random "device not detected" messages for
some of the modules but I always get module 8 and 15 as device not detected. Therefore, since there is at lease 1 module detected,
the firmware upgrade process is stopped. At least this is my theory.
DJI needs to look at all these postings from customers who are having this same issue and figure out what is causing it!
My bird was working fine with the prior firmware for over 2 months. The only reason I decided to upgrade the firmware was
to take advantage of some of the fixes. Now I realize this was a mistake!!
Come on DJI! What's up with this new firmware?

Now the biggest problem I have is the signal transmission issues. Ever since the latest iOS update, my iPad camera feed has been terrible. I usually use auto channel but neither that nor selecting custom channel seems to help. Not sure what the deal is.

I too have the same issue. My aircraft was fine before the update only a couple of bugs/problems but the video signal and RC signal were perfect. I've taken it out a lot further than I should have before and it's been fine especially when it came to RC signal but today after updating the App and the firmware update I have had massive signal loss on both video and RC over distance less than 1KM. Using an Ipad mini 2

Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix this?

I was thinking there might be a different port on the bird in which we could do the firmware update?
What is the USB port for on the tail of the bird? I have been putting the .bin file onto the SD card and
powering the unit up with no success. Does anyone know of a different method to get the firmware installed?

I was thinking there might be a different port on the bird in which we could do the firmware update?
What is the USB port for on the tail of the bird? I have been putting the .bin file onto the SD card and
powering the unit up with no success. Does anyone know of a different method to get the firmware installed?

Nope! No other way for the end user to update the craft.

1. You have extracted/unzipped the .bin file?
2. You have placed the .bin file in the root directory of the Micro SD card?
3. You have powered on the Inspire WITHOUT powering on the remote control yes?

USB on the tail is to download flight logs once the craft is put into 'Flight Log Mode'

Yes, I have done everything you suggested above many times with the exact same result.
Cannot get past version check in log file with device 8 and 15 always showing as not connected.
No downloaded video on either of my 2 RC monitors. All else seems ok on RC and Bird.
Again, I have to state that something is wrong with the .bin file on specific birds.
The update firmware code is not reading some of the devices current firmware and shows
them as not connected, therefore the update process just stops.
Have tried now almost 40 times to do the upgrade and still exact same results.
Could it be that the installed firmware on device 8 and 15 is somehow messed up and these
devices will not respond to the firmware update code when it attempts to query for the current
firmware version loaded into that device?

Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the camera?
Also formatting SD using App then copying .bin to it?

Yes, as I said before, I have tried just about everything. The camera connection is not the issue.
This was the first thing DJI support suggested and it did it several times. The Gimbal comes on and works
just fine, so I would think if there was a connection issue there, the Gimbal would not work?
I even tried going back to the prior version 17 firmware, but I get the same results (device 8 and 15 not connected).
Again, DJI needs to determine if it is possible that once the firmware gets corrupted on a particular device,
will that device respond to the current firmware version check? Simple question, but no one seems to know
the answer?

I guess I got a good one. I had one battery that decided not to take the update for 10 minutes of off and on, but eventually it took. Other than that my bird's update and both controllers went very smoothly. I've worked airplanes for 15 years and know exactly how frustrating them gremlins can be. "Exactly" configured planes all have their quirks and small differences. It's got to be a bad batch of something hardware. I'm confident that DJI will eventually iron it out. For the meantime, man do feel for you guys with the unwelcomed gremlins :-(.

Yes, as I said before, I have tried just about everything. The camera connection is not the issue.
This was the first thing DJI support suggested and it did it several times. The Gimbal comes on and works
just fine, so I would think if there was a connection issue there, the Gimbal would not work?
I even tried going back to the prior version 17 firmware, but I get the same results (device 8 and 15 not connected).
Again, DJI needs to determine if it is possible that once the firmware gets corrupted on a particular device,
will that device respond to the current firmware version check? Simple question, but no one seems to know
the answer?

Feel your pain! I can believe it is an isolated hardware configuration/bug error no doubt. DJI needs to have a tethered HARD RESET, REBOOT software for field analysis BOTTOMLINE!! Instead of all this chattering and frustration, it can be handled rather easily via Internet connection.. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY DJI[emoji6]

as I mentioned I had my problems updating the inspire and the controller ,but i finally got it and flew today
Everything went smooth,flying better thanmy phantom 2
I am happy with the inspire , nervous when you read here what has gone bad and waiting for a fly away.
I finally used the cable from the camera to the controller to get the controller updated

DJI needs to look at all these postings from customers who are having this same issue and figure out what is causing it!
As far as I know you're the only one who has reported that problem. So "isolated issue" and your particular bird being defective or suffering from some random failure seems the most liekly explanation.
These things happen.

Sure they happen, but what do I do next? I have called DJI and they have been little to no help.
I think I know more about how the bird works than they do.
And by the way, I am not the only one who this has happened to. If you go back and read many
of the posts on various sites, there are many people who have had problems with firmware updates.
One guy on this site has the exact same problem I have and he has not found a solution yet.

Contact support again until you get someone who helps? Or see with the dealer you bought it from.

of the posts on various sites, there are many people who have had problems with firmware updates.

Yeah but that particular one isn't apparently common.

2nd day of smooth flights for me. Bella and I are rebuilding trust, :). I said it before, but here it is again... GREMLINS! They really do suck. Every time you know you see them, there gone and can almost never prove they were there to begin with. They almost always appear when you mix advance tech with large scale production.
+1 on the try to get a online service tech that knows what he/she is talking about. From monitoring what's going on with this thread, the few that are having similar problems, probably have a some sort of commonality (batch #, manufacture, QA, etc...). Hopefully DJI does something to expedite this issue for them.

Just upgraded the firmware today. That was the smoothest upgrade I ever had, except maybe it's because I have experienced now.

I also got the new propellers the same morning, so I installed those as well. Once I got everything up and running, I took it out for a flight. This is the first time I never experienced the compass air, and it appears that camera jerk has gone away as well. I'm very happy!

Reactions: Eric and PB30X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido