Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

4K film is poor...

On video with regards getting exposure settings correct (all the things required for good video etc ) do you touch the screen and wait till it adjusts then film or set up manually then film?

If you set up manually how do you gauge set up,nd filter off or on,exposure,iso settings etc

Really starting to nail my video with the tips/info posted on here just want to cram in as much knowledge as possible.

Posts like Editor and Kilrah anti flicker posts have been bang on

Totally rate this forum.....

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
For video you typically want:
- Lowest possible ISO
- Slow shutter speed (ideally 1/100-1/50)

In daylight outdoors you won't get the shutter speed there with the supplied ND, which is why we asked for a wider selection of filters... so basically for now you'd always want the ND on unless you're filming in low light conditions and you see the ISO starting to ramp up.

Now to the actual exposure control I tend to leave it in auto and dial in +/- 0.3 EV of compensation if needed by the subject, it's usually quite spot on and will do nice smooth fades compared to what you could do by manual control. I'll use the AE lock if I don't want the adjustments, mostly because it's quicker than getting to the manual settings and will do the same anyway.

Not having an iris control simplifies things quite a bit.

For video you typically want:
- Lowest possible ISO
- Slow shutter speed (ideally 1/100-1/50)

In daylight outdoors you won't get the shutter speed there with the supplied ND, which is why we asked for a wider selection of filters... so basically for now you'd always want the ND on unless you're filming in low light conditions and you see the ISO starting to ramp up.

Now to the actual exposure control I tend to leave it in auto and dial in +/- 0.3 EV of compensation if needed by the subject, it's usually quite spot on and will do nice smooth fades compared to what you could do by manual control. I'll use the AE lock if I don't want the adjustments, mostly because it's quicker than getting to the manual settings and will do the same anyway.

Not having an iris control simplifies things quite a bit.

Kilrah

Excellent concise and plenty of info to take on board without complication.

You say you "notice iso ramp up" how do you detect it increasing?

Lastly sorry about above "empty" post pressed post button twice-oops

There's a line with all video settings on the app's main OSD, you'll see what it's using there at all times.

Also zebras are your friend (although they can be a little off putting at first if you're not used to them). Anything that shows zebras will be overexposed and blown out and you will not be able to recover it in post. So rule of thumb, keep from exposing to the point where zebras show except specular highlights ( sunlight on water etc) or the brightest areas of clouds etc. The camera on the Inspire only has a mediocre dynamic range so you are never going to get 13 stops out of it but if you are careful you can get very acceptable results.

Kilrah,Editor once again muchos thankness

Is there any flying tips for good video on single op mode. Obviously aggressive yaws etc will give poor video.However how do guys prefer to approach filming a "target". Obviously all "targets" are different but is there a general rule of thumb?

Also I see that some vendors are selling prop balancers-is the Inspire that unstable- I had my Inspire out in 20knot winds today and it was rock steady. Are there "mini" vibrations affecting picture quality or is this a bit of a gimmick?

Obviously smoothness is your friend in all cases. I tend to like "composite" movements i.e. at least 2 axes moving at the same time like climbing/descending during forward flight, static climb but slowly tilting down simultaneously, turning around things going from one side to the other with the required yaw to keep the subject in sight etc, potentially while tilting at the same time rather than just following quite "statically". Takes some training and experience though, but after a while you'll be able to coordinate all 5 axes at the same time and that's when it gets very cool :)

some 5-axis moves starting 1:20 (old footage, with a good old modified phantom):

Don't see a need to work on props or anything so far with my I1. Perfect out of the box, better than anything I used before.

Last edited:
This is a super good thread. Much information in here I have been looking for... Have a case of information overload for the moment. Thanks guys

Many Many thanks to everyone, flew today (still only one battery) but set settings to default, bar the LOG, and shooting in both 4k at 4096x2160 and 3840x2160, great results, thank you. Found a lot of the problem was my lack of knowledge of Adobe Premiere Elements 13 which I've only just started using. And when cropped to 1080, or shooting in 1920x1080 a real difference!

Just awaiting my 5 more batteries so I can go and fly fly fly. :)

Cheers to all, Mark

Reactions: GuiKoetz
Very nice post!!!

Where are your last video for comparison?

Sent from my D6543 using Tapatalk

Sorry can't remember, it was February.
Ok. But.... What settings do you think is better? For Day and night videos and photos... I have difficulty for setting up my Inspire camera.
Tks

Sent from my D6543 using Tapatalk

Well they were DLog -1 -2 -2, preset white balance manual mode, then changed -1 -3 -3 and adding LUT's, but the latest firmware has changed this and the fact I'm using premiere pro now, still working out the best solution. Haven't done a night video yet.

There's loads of info out there, just keep trying. If you don't want to fanny about with settings just shoot in full auto 1080/30 preset white balance and vivid colour.

Reactions: GuiKoetz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207