Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A second chance for recycled Inspire 2 ...

Reaction score
The idea was to turn this ...

wrecked bird_01.jpg

... or this ...

wrecked bird_02.JPG

... into a handheld camera. Of course the remains must exhibit signs of life, which doesn't happen too often after such catastrophic accident. I was lucky to find one still breathing, merely a carcass, and successfully connect the X5S camera borrowed from my perfectly fine and healthy Inspire ... 50 hours later the camera looks like that (here shown mounted on a shoulder rig):

myosmo X5S_01.jpg

... optionally mounted on a vehicle with a help of suction cups:

myosmoX5S_vehicle rig.jpg

The camera delivers all goods Cinecore technology is capable of ...

Last edited:

View attachment 28475

... or this ..

View attachment 28475

... or this ...

View attachment 28476

... into handheld camera. Of course the remains must exhibit signs of life, which doesn't happen too often after such catastrophic accident. I was lucky to find one still breathing, merely a carcass, and successfully connect the X5S camera borrowed from my perfectly fine and healthy Inspire ... 50 hours later the camera looks like that (here shown mounted on shoulder rig):

View attachment 28477

View attachment 28478

looks really clean . We are building an x7 into a x class racing drone as I write this. Our ground rigs have come out great and I will share some vids soon. We have projected a car and motorcycle mount as well as a rover. I just made a smaller rover that can do about 50....pretty scary with an x7 but it was perfect for our needs.glad to see you made it work. Thanks.

View attachment 28476

... into handheld camera. Of course the remains must exhibit signs of life, which doesn't happen too often after such catastrophic accident. I was lucky to find one still breathing, merely a carcass, and successfully connect the X5S camera borrowed from my perfectly fine and healthy Inspire ... 50 hours later the camera looks like that (here shown mounted on shoulder rig):

View attachment 28477

View attachment 28478

Nice conversion but looks too bulky for handheld work. I'm still using Osmo with x5r and think it's the best small form camera that can record raw dng. But yeah if you already have all the carcas of the i2 it's reasonable conversion :)

Nice conversion but looks too bulky for handheld work. I'm still using Osmo with x5r and think it's the best small form camera that can record raw dng. But yeah if you already have all the carcas of the i2 it's reasonable conversion :)
Certainly, I'm using Osmo X5R as well, even Osmo Pocket when bulkiness is the issue. However, having access to X7 set expands the whole picture (pun intended) significantly. After all, it was more of a challenge with myself than anything else :) ...

thanks for sharing!
thinking about a stipped down x5s version as well and put it on a very light frame

I wouldnt call it a race drone but , but a more lightweight and precise flying drone (compared to the I2)
if anybody has done this would be nice to share more ideas

thanks for sharing!
thinking about a stipped down x5s version as well and put it on a very light frame

I wouldnt call it a race drone but , but a more lightweight and precise flying drone (compared to the I2)
if anybody has done this would be nice to share more ideas
No way, the camera itself+cinecore module is to heavy for any aircraft lighter than Inspire ...

did you keep the gps and the ssd ?
whats is the minimum weight of this x5s (without batteries)
Yes, the system is fully capable to record CineDNG or ProRes on SSD, assuming license present. Why would you need GPS on it? The camera body only weight 710 g, X5S gimbal average 475 g (lens dependent)...

I saw your first post and thought it was my photo of one of my Inspire 2 carcasses. I wonder how many of use have boxes of seriously damaged Inspire 2's.
Surprisingly not too many. Most of damaged drones are fixed or replaced under DJI Care insurance/warranty. To find a carcass with signs of life for sale is next to impossible, took me several months to get one for this project ...

I built a tripod mount for my I2 to have a second camera that shoots 5k RAW.IMG_6712.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6712.JPG
    IMG_6712.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Dobmatt

View attachment 28475

... or this ...

View attachment 28476

... into a handheld camera. Of course the remains must exhibit signs of life, which doesn't happen too often after such catastrophic accident. I was lucky to find one still breathing, merely a carcass, and successfully connect the X5S camera borrowed from my perfectly fine and healthy Inspire ... 50 hours later the camera looks like that (here shown mounted on a shoulder rig):

View attachment 28477

View attachment 28478

Nice work man! I was jumping on to research this possibility specifically and found your post. I want to do something similar, specifically for a car mount, and was wondering what kind of software issues I might run into... i.e. if the Inspire freaks out when it starts up with no motors etc...

Nice work man! I was jumping on to research this possibility specifically and found your post. I want to do something similar, specifically for a car mount, and was wondering what kind of software issues I might run into... i.e. if the Inspire freaks out when it starts up with no motors etc...
Naturally DJI Go 4 app will notice the absence of ESC/motors, GPS, FPV camera and obstacle avoidance sensors, consequently but not surprisingly not allowing for flight. This can be ignored, no worries. Even "smart" batteries can be replaced with standard 6S LiPo to power the carcass, of course at the cost of lost battery monitoring telemetry. The image processing and transmitting modules should function normally regardless. All what's needed is a Cinecore module with attached antennas, compass and eventually SSD card socket. In this case Cinecore module must be licensed, FW up to date and the system thoroughly tested for successful recording in licensed video formats prior to disassembly. It is important to confirm the compatibility of all SSD cards to be used with a given system. Further updates will fail once the Inspire 2 is stripped of the parts irrelevant to video recording, but vital to FW updates.

Last edited:
Do you need two remotes to control the gimbal?
In other words, do you need the Master, and slave?
I think that it's interested to make a drone with more flight time, with this light and great camera.
But thinking in two remotes for only the gimbal it's not good for me.
Thanks!

Do you need two remotes to control the gimbal?
In other words, do you need the Master, and slave?
I think that it's interested to make a drone with more flight time, with this light and great camera.
But thinking in two remotes for only the gimbal it's not good for me.
Thanks!
It depends what is your filming style. For action movie shooting Inspire with twin RC setup is a must. For anything else is not, gimbal can be easily controlled via single RC, standard or advanced Cendence model.

Yes, I know, for me the only "Professional" way it's a Pilot, and Cam operator.
My idea it's to make a new drone, with more flight time, and use the Inspire2 parts as camera, like your project, but to add to a new drone.
So my question is if you could control the gimbal with one remote with the sticks (I know that I can control from the master with the ridiculous wheel) .
I'ts not operative for me the Futaba remote to control the drone, and the two inspire remotes to control only the gimbal.
So will be great find the way to control the gimbal with no need of the master and slave remote connected.
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry