Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Another Newbie

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi from Cornwall UK.

Until now I've had a few hours flying a parrot ar drone but have been reading a lot about various other models and finally decided on the i1 which arrived 3 days ago.

After all updates, I took the bird in to the garden (a reasonably large space) and did a few laps remaining within the limits of beginner mode. Really liking the stability so far.

Next day, I wanted to drain the battery as advised after this latest update and so was hovering a few inches off the ground when out of nowhere, the cat decided to attack it!
Knowing the consequences of damaging my wife's cat, I took evasive action and this happened:

20150806_080650.jpg

Fortunately, the only damage was one prop and my confidence.

Last night, went for another flight and managed 500m distance and 50m height, confidence coming back.

Quick question for you all. I thought I read this drone should keep a constant distance from the ground. Last night though whilst flying up hill i had to keep adjusting altitude. Is there a mode I'm missing to maintain a constant altitude over hilly terrain?

Cheers in advance
Mark

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Just wanted to say Hi from Cornwall UK.

Until now I've had a few hours flying a parrot ar drone but have been reading a lot about various other models and finally decided on the i1 which arrived 3 days ago.

After all updates, I took the bird in to the garden (a reasonably large space) and did a few laps remaining within the limits of beginner mode. Really liking the stability so far.

Next day, I wanted to drain the battery as advised after this latest update and so was hovering a few inches off the ground when out of nowhere, the cat decided to attack it!
Knowing the consequences of damaging my wife's cat, I took evasive action and this happened:

View attachment 3103

Fortunately, the only damage was one prop and my confidence.

Last night, went for another flight and managed 500m distance and 50m height, confidence coming back.

Quick question for you all. I thought I read this drone should keep a constant distance from the ground. Last night though whilst flying up hill i had to keep adjusting altitude. Is there a mode I'm missing to maintain a constant altitude over hilly terrain?

Cheers in advance
Mark
Hey Mark! !
Welcome to inspirepilots.com. .
Looks like you got a wicked i1 to turn your cat into stone upon impact ..lol..
The i1 will hold its altitude for the most part,but will not make up for changes in elevation. .
the new, if ever released ,Matrice might have this capability when equipped with the obstacle avoidance system ..

Reactions: dreadwing
Thanks Turbo,

I think this is going to be quite addictive once i get a bit braver and start taking her further.

So, just to be clear...the altitude as shown on the OSD and the flight recorder is relative to the inspire's last known home position?

I would have thought with having 2 x ultrasonic sensors pointing down then it would be quite easy to have a setting of minimum altitude to ground level (within the range of the sensors) for contour hugging low level flights?

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Thanks Turbo,

I think this is going to be quite addictive once i get a bit braver and start taking her further.

So, just to be clear...the altitude as shown on the OSD and the flight recorder is relative to the inspire's last known home position?

I would have thought with having 2 x ultrasonic sensors pointing down then it would be quite easy to have a setting of minimum altitude to ground level (within the range of the sensors) for contour hugging low level flights?
Yes altitude is calculated from the home position. .
I think the sensors are for flying indoors (which I haven't done)and It be cool if they kept the i1 from hitting the ground, but I'm pretty sure they dont..
and ya man flying drones is definitely addicting and I love it!!
I get a big rush every time I fly..

Hello Mark

Just before your Inspire 1 takes off, it sets it's altitude to zero.

When you go to say 10m, that's just from the 0 position. Moving along an uneven ground will not change the altitude reading, so be careful.

Likewise, when you take off from the edge of a cliff, hover at 10m they fly over the edge, it will still report an altitude of 10m, even though you might now be 100m from the ground. (It goes negative as you lower the craft).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Gary Bateman
Thanks, Zen.

Definitely this is a point to remember. The AR drones by parrot always try to remain a set distance from the ground which is what I've been used to.

Eventually, I want to do some long distance flights and i noticed how hard it is to judge distance from the ground just using the video feed. I guess it's a case of making sure there's plenty of altitude before making the journey.

Also, always set your RTH Height higher than you think in case the drone drifts behind something you where not planning on flying behind and starts a RTH.

Reactions: tinimark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian