Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any issues hand carrying drone on flights?

Reaction score
Despite a rugged hard case, I don't trust the airlines to not trash my gear (and can't afford to have that happen when I'm traveling for jobs) so considering hand carrying my i2 later this week.

I can't think of any reason why that would be a problem but curious if anyone else has any experience doing this.

One of our guys had to do it recently on a short haul flight. Sat with his I2 on his lap. Just understand that you likely will not have bin space for it.

I wouldn’t bank on them allowing this every time as I’ve tried to keep a laptop on my lap during takeoff and landing many times and they usually ask for it to be stowed. If you’re positive you can get bin space and space that can safely fit the inspire then no problem but IMHO your copter is far more safe in a case in checked luggage.

Despite a rugged hard case, I don't trust the airlines to not trash my gear (and can't afford to have that happen when I'm traveling for jobs) so considering hand carrying my i2 later this week.

I can't think of any reason why that would be a problem but curious if anyone else has any experience doing this.

The best option! Anything can happen otherwise. People take notice but who cares.

My I2 was knocked around, and the legs needed to be adjusted on a flight back from Atlanta. When I got home, found that the motor arm has been twisted so the one prop would hit the collision sensor at the front of the machine. So bring a Torx set with you. Looking at my case, I actually think an attachment that held the crossbar to the motors in place would have helped. Mine got knocked around just loading it onto the luggage belt as the attendant dropped it upside down - but I think it was a bit heavy for her to lift. It made me cringe just to see it fall even though it was in the case.

So in my case it was not broken, but it did take some knocks on the trip and needed to be adjusted. After my trip, I think a lighter case might be better ( mine was the heavier ) as when and if it falls or is dropped, there is more momentum to be stopped - just a guess on my part.

I dont think you should plan on carrying it on, they may let, but they might not.......

When you get where you are going, set your bird up, put the props on and check the clearances, that will tell you. Hope your trip goes well.

I can tell you without hesitation that your Inspire 2 will not make it into the cabin of the aircraft. The rules of commercial airlines are beyond strict. Absolutely nothing allowed in the cabin that can't fit under a seat or into an overhead bin and the Inspire 2 won't do either.

It is very much luck of the draw though. Ive had quite a few friends bring guitars on board after a blag story that they are travelling musicians etc when in reality they got it new on holiday and slapped a few stickers on the hard case.

Yes but, their guitars didn't have a bunch of huge LiPos in with it. The 2 things the commercial carriers are going to look at are size (does it fit) and the batteries.

Very true but i was always under the impression that no ifs buts or maybes the batteries would be in the hold anyway and this was just about the drone itself.

Batteries always with you on board.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I travel with my I2 a fair amount and check it using the stock case. Never an issue and no real damage to the case.

I only have the airframe and a few other random inexpensive things in there (controllers go on board with me too). That keeps it light. I use a TSA luggage strap (very important due to the clasp system on the case), and a good smattering on fragile stickers.

My thought is that DJI designed that case to withstand being tossed by various shipping companies around the world, this is not that different.

Again, maybe lucky, and I will update this post when I get unlucky.

Last edited:

You’re going to have problems with the airlines and TSA. First thing the TSA is going to challenge your batteries so have them out and ready for inspection and have the special fire bag for each battery. There is no exception that the batteries are going to have to travel in the compartment with you . Your travel case is going to be too big to fit under the seat or in the overhead .
I travel to Chiapas Mexico last year with my Mavic, leaving my I2 at home. The TSA wanted a visual inspection of the drone prior to going through x-ray .
Really your only choice you have is to check your I2 into checked baggage and your batteries travel upfront with you .

My question is exclusively about the drone and it doesn't seem like there's any reason TSA wouldn't let it through. Don't have a tape measure handy but apparently (looking online) it's 53 cm x 47 x 21 in travel mode. The absurdly small overhead luggage dimension checkers for at least one major airline are 56 x 35 x 22 and we all know people put bags that are way bigger than this in overhead with no problem.

Just flew with it and I did put it in checked baggage but seems like it shouldn't be a problem to carry it on. The challenge would be finding a spot for it if you're at the end of boarding and the spaces are all filled up. I'm guessing this would only work with it on its feet or maybe slightly tilted but definitely not on its side.

Recently I purchased a Bike Case that very conveniently holds the standard DJI I2 case. I traveled on several occasions with the I1 in its DJI Case on internal flights within Australia (about 6 sectors) and the case, but not the I1, was somewhat damaged when I sold it for the I2. The handle had to be replaced and the exterior "stoppers" replaced with rubber ones. Always had the batteries as hand luggage and never had a problem. I expect to fly a few times within Australia with the I2 and see this case as a "cheap" sacrificial cover. The I2 case is a very snug fit within the Bike Case but I am confident the I2 will survive the usual riggers of baggage handlers. The link for the case in the UK is B&W Folding-Bike Hard Case
I had mine sent to Australia and found the whole purchase, delivery experience very efficient. I think my final cost was about AUS$340. Happy to provide any images at request. I saw the link for the case on a DJI Forum, possibly this one. David

Very true but i was always under the impression that no ifs buts or maybes the batteries would be in the hold anyway and this was just about the drone itself.
Actually no, the batteries are not allowed in the hold, they must be with you in carry on inside lips safe bags, it may vary but airlines allow 2 extra batteries you might be able to get away with 3. some will allow a battery or batteries in the case of the I2 in the craft, that's how I carry my I1 when I travel. I purchased a Inspack landing mode backpack and a flight case they make for it, it is very possible that the backpack be allowed if they don't make you insert it into the frames they have at the gates to check baggage size, but it's bulky (thick) and will be a bit of a hassle to put in the overhead, let alone under the seat. However in the flight case the craft is very safe and I really didn't trust the combination (TSA) locks on the case so I purchased a TSA cross strap that holds it together like a champ, couldn't feel safer.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb