Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anybody out there film drag races?

Reaction score
Just did my first one on Sunday. A bit higher paced than the normal stuff I do. Lol. Tempted to make a racer drone to half ways keep up following them down the track.

Hi. I don't film drag races too often but have covered a couple of drag races event TX2K being one of them. What are you currently flying to capture the races?

Depending on the location and the organizing venue, I think it depends on what angle/action you want to capture. Either staying in ahead of the cars and starting the drone ahead of the start lights so you can capture them in reverse and moving back as fast as you or filming sideways while panning as they catch up and pass the drone.
An FPV racer might just be too shaky and too fast 2 furious!!!

Hi. I don't film drag races too often but have covered a couple of drag races event TX2K being one of them. What are you currently flying to capture the races?

Depending on the location and the organizing venue, I think it depends on what angle/action you want to capture. Either staying in ahead of the cars and starting the drone ahead of the start lights so you can capture them in reverse and moving back as fast as you or filming sideways while panning as they catch up and pass the drone.
An FPV racer might just be too shaky and too fast 2 furious!!!
It's actually just a smaller local drag strip to me. He's not on a circuit at all. Using the I1 with a z3. Right over the track is about the only place I can fly because of spectators and trees. Didn't get to do much testing because it was kinda a last minute deal. Tried a few different angles. Mostly didn't want to cause a distraction to any of the drivers. Especially because the sun sets almost in line with the track anyways so they have a hard enough time seeing. Lol

It's actually just a smaller local drag strip to me. He's not on a circuit at all. Using the I1 with a z3. Right over the track is about the only place I can fly because of spectators and trees. Didn't get to do much testing because it was kinda a last minute deal. Tried a few different angles. Mostly didn't want to cause a distraction to any of the drivers. Especially because the sun sets almost in line with the track anyways so they have a hard enough time seeing. Lol
Makes sense... how about trailing them from behind and panning up as they fly off?

I had the opposite issue: I couldn't fly above the track and couldn't get too close to above the cars. Not my best job but here:

I could tell it was done with he p4. Can't turn an inspire that quick. Lol. Drags are a little more difficult than I thought they would be. But average car passes where between 5 and 7 seconds so that doesn't leave ya a whole lot of time. Lol. I shot in 1080 at 60 and I kinda wish now I would of shot in 2.7 or 4K because I did some cropping so the video quality isn't the best. It's kinda a trial and error type of thing for me. My inspire was acting a little goofy that day also. Image transmission wasn't that great to the iPad and ad a compass error and when I zoomed out on the z3 it kinda shuddered a bit which is a first.

Makes sense... how about trailing them from behind and panning up as they fly off?
Yeah that's what I'll be doing next if I'm there earlier in the day. Tried it once and the sun kills ya in the afternoon because it's right at the 11 o'clock position in the afternoon if you're looking down the track.

That was with turning the bird slightly panning down of course and zooming out all at the same time. I need more hands. Lol

The slow mo into action effect is a good idea. Once you work all the kinks out it'll be great.
Yeah I know what not to do next time. Lol. Plus an in car and side car go pro will be added into the mix of aerial footage. The guy in the black car is a pretty close friend of mine plus I have 3 other friends that race up there. So in car shots shouldn't be a problem. Lol. I like the slow mo because who doesn't like to see a car doing a wheelie. Lol

Reactions: Drone Pilot PEI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineL