Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone do long range testing with FPVLR antennas yet ??

Reaction score
I'm rather curious what kind of range you can get with Tony's soldered-in booster antennas.

Please post video + telemetry for any flights beyond 2 miles. Just talking about such a flight is not worthy of posting to this thread. Anyone can brag and lie about such a thing. Video + data doesnt lie, folks.

Also, please don't flood this thread with "I have no need to fly that far" responses. You got an expensive machine and you don't want to take any risks at all with it. We get it. Let's reserve this thread for people who actually take risks in life. I think Steve Jobs had something to say about those kinds of people. He was one of them, and if he was alive today you can bet your *** he'd be flying his Inspire out to the next county.

Cheers! :D

Mitch, you are one crazy dude... But I like that about you. I'm also interested in the performance of these antenna if for nothing else than boosting signal to overcome adverse transmission situations. I often fly over water to for me it's all about battery life and effective transmission range

Hey guys ..
I'm planning on doing a long range flight tomorrow or Tuesday and had a question. .
I've heard 300 feet is a good elevation for max range ..does this sound rite??
How about speed. . If you fly at 30 mph you will take 8 mins to reach 4 miles so if you get 16 minutes out of a battery that would be the max..
but what if you fly at 40 mph..would you use more battery power going faster ?? Or would it equal out??
Turbo..

Reactions: Soflms
Hey guys ..
I'm planning on doing a long range flight tomorrow or Tuesday and had a question. .
How about speed. . If you fly at 30 mph you will take 8 mins to reach 4 miles so if you get 16 minutes out of a battery that would be the max..
but what if you fly at 40 mph..would you use more battery power going faster ?? Or would it equal out??
Turbo..

Hi Turbo,

When flying out long range, quite a lot will depend on wind direction and speed and also which flight mode you're using. Obviously the calmer the wind conditions, the better however you're almost always going to be combatting wind, whether it be headwind or side-wind. Flying in Atti helps reduce the effect the wind will have on your battery performance because the craft is not compensating the entire flight to keep it flying in an un-needed straight line. Fly in Atti, let the wind carry it slightly if required and get out to your max range as quickly as possible. If you have a tail wind on the leg out then allow for more than half the available battery life for the return flight.

With my Phantom I worked out that I could use 45% battery life on the outward leg which left 55% for the return leg. I have switched all battery fail safes off on the Phantom so it can actually still fly with 0% battery life remaining. I've had a couple of near misses doing this but I believe its been worth it.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey guys ..
Turbo..
You're braver than me…. Are you going to use auto or manually select your channel and reduce the slider to 1.88? If so, how do you pick the best channel?

Enjoy life and be nice

Hi Turbo,

When flying out long range, quite a lot will depend on wind direction and speed and also which flight mode you're using. Obviously the calmer the wind conditions, the better however you're almost always going to be combatting wind, whether it be headwind or side-wind. Flying in Atti helps reduce the effect the wind will have on your battery performance because the craft is not compensating the entire flight to keep it flying in an un-needed straight line. Fly in Atti, let the wind carry it slightly if required and get out to your max range as quickly as possible. If you have a tail wind on the leg out then allow for more than half the available battery life for the return flight.

With my Phantom I worked out that I could use 45% battery life on the outward leg which left 55% for the return leg. I have switched all battery fail safes off on the Phantom so it can actually still fly with 0% battery life remaining. I've had a couple of near misses doing this but I believe its been worth it.
Thanks for pointing out about switching all batery failsafes off..
My main concern besides safety is having it auto land due to not enough battery power in reserve. .
thanks for the tips Pete!
turbo..

Mitch, you are one crazy dude... But I like that about you. I'm also interested in the performance of these antenna if for nothing else than boosting signal to overcome adverse transmission situations. I often fly over water to for me it's all about battery life and effective transmission range

Thanks, bro. I am of the firm mindset that anyone who says "I will never fly long distance" is just fooling himself. It's only a matter of time before you crave those tasty miles. :p

It's like a dude buying a Ferrari and trying to convince everyone he will never take it above 90 MPH on public roads. DAFUQ outta here with that.

Hey guys ..
Turbo

As long as you got really flat terrain with no obstacles in the near vicinity (trees, buildings, hills, etc) --- then 300 ft. above ground should be fine.

I can regularly hit 3 miles distance at 300 ft. altitude in my Vision+ at my favorite rural flying spot in Ohio. I guess just to be on the safe side you may wanna increase it to 400 ft. if you plan on soaring out to 4 miles with your Inspire.

The rule of thumb your altitude should be >/=10% of your distance... Don't ask me where I got that from I can't remember, but it's worked for me so far.

Wormwood

I'm not being clear; Capitalize on the terrain & find a hill from which to launch from or fly into a valley to get the altitude you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: go fast
Hey guys..
got my controller back from fpvlr ...
looks pretty cool..
hope to try it out later today or tomorrow. .
I tried to post a picture of the controller but I'm having technical deficulties. .
turbo

Reactions: kevinlutch
Put the bottle on the terminator just to make sure it has enough power to make its 4 mile trip..
too bad I need to upgrade my firmware and rc controller before I get to fly..probably will be tomorrow before I can tack..
turbo. .
Want to see pictures of this remote!
I tried posting a picture but for whatever reason it won't load..
is anyone having trouble posting pictures? ?
Check out a page back or so for inspire 1 fpvlr antennas. .
turbo. .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207