Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone Using D-log?

Reaction score
Not a professional, but about 6 months ago I started shooting video on my phantoms (3 pro & 4) in D-log with sharping, contrast and saturation turned down. It was good way for me to play around with LUTs and fine tune the color grading after. I really liked the results. Since then I have read a lot of negative reports on the Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1 forums to stay away from it and use either none or Cine-D. Hmmm I liked the muted blank canvas to do my color grading since I am a novice at it.

So is anyone using D-log or should I just stay away? It will be awhile before I upgrade to shooting in raw or CinemaDNG/Apple ProRes.

D-log is good for high quality color grading, or stuff that you would want to put on your portfolio. If you are flying commercially you can definitely use D-log, but don't feel like you can't charge extra for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using InspirePilots mobile app

Reactions: Rotofan
Henry,

Appreciate the response. I think I am going to continue to use D-log when the conditions are right over none or Cine-D..

The reason to stay away from D-log was primarily the extremely low bitrates (60mbit for the I1 and P4, 100mbit for I2 and P4p). It tended to give a lower quality result than using Cinelike or None with a lot more artifacts. However if you are shooting in Prores or CinemaDNG (Inspire 2 or Inspire 1 RAW) D-log should be excellent as they have bitrates from 900mbit and upwards.

Reactions: Rotofan
I was hoping with the higher 100Mb rate it would be more useable. On the Phantom 4 pro forum some of the videographers were getting good results for shots that had good lighting conditions (not overexposed) and were used on high contrast subject matter.

I guess I see a Prores license and a SSD in my future.

I was hoping with the higher 100Mb rate it would be more useable. On the Phantom 4 pro forum some of the videographers were getting good results for shots that had good lighting conditions (not overexposed) and were used on high contrast subject matter.

I guess I see a Prores license and a SSD in my future.

Yes is definitely way more usable with the 100mbit bitrate. And I'm getting much better results, But I´m still sticking with Cinelike for the 100mbit. When my SSD arrives I´ll shot in Dlog/Prores to the ssd.

This guy explains it pretty good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez