Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Attaching and Detaching Camera while powered on

Reaction score
I wanted to know if any of you guys/gals attach or remove their camera while the Inspire is still powered on.

I find it a little tedious when transitioning from travel mode to take off mode to turn the aircraft off, attach the camera and turn the aircraft back on.

Same thing when going back into travel mode after flying. You have to land, turn off aircraft, remove camera, turn aircraft back on, put into travel mode and power down one last time.

Do any of you attach and detach while still turned on? Is it ok to do or not recommended?

I noticed in the manual, DJI never says to turn the unit off after exiting travel mode.

Would you unplug your computer while it's still booted up?
I would never attach and detach a solid state device running software while it is still switched on.
The exception is my hot swap external drives but they are designed for that purpose.

Reactions: InspiredOne
I agree with @amkorp -- I had the same question. Maybe it's the same as any other peripheral device -- USB, serial, parallel port, etc., and is hot-swappable. If the Chinese designed it properly, it should not be an issue.

I would like to know this too... Its so much work to power on.... Exit travel mode. Then power down to install camera. Then power up again!

I must admit sometime I forgot to power down after exit travel mode and hook up the camera... Its fine so far. But I try not to do that..

I would also like to know. Maybe its plug and play equivalent! Haha

Would you unplug your computer while it's still booted up?
I would never attach and detach a solid state device running software while it is still switched on.
The exception is my hot swap external drives but they are designed for that purpose.

Would you unplug a usb drive while your computer is booted up?

This is more inline with what is happening when you remove or attach the camera.
Like I mentioned in my first post, the manual doesn't clearly state that the power needs to be shut down before attaching the camera. Nor does it state anywhere in the manual that the camera cannot or should not be removed or attached while quad is powered.

I'm looking to see if anybody has heard (officially) otherwise.

I'm not asking about Solid state devices or unplugging my computer while its running. Your comparison just doesn't make any sense.

Whenever my quad touches down I shut it off anyway. I do not like to walk around with the gimbal moving around or have the battery drain any further while moving around. I guess I always shut mine down just because of the order I do things. I DO always notice that I need to turn it on to get back into travel mode but it is a 3 second switch on for controller and quad. As for putting it on, I like it off so it does not start spinning prematurely and calibrating while I am fidgeting with it. I would assume you are not hurting it either way though.

The connector is very visibly not designed for hot plugging, and very likely to cause shorts at the slightest hint of a misalignment.
So if you don't want to fry anything... Put up with the 20 seconds it takes to power cycle.

Would you unplug a usb drive while your computer is booted up?

This is more inline with what is happening when you remove or attach the camera.
Like I mentioned in my first post, the manual doesn't clearly state that the power needs to be shut down before attaching the camera. Nor does it state anywhere in the manual that the camera cannot or should not be removed or attached while quad is powered.

I'm looking to see if anybody has heard (officially) otherwise.

I'm not asking about Solid state devices or unplugging my computer while its running. Your comparison just doesn't make any sense.

Since you seem to be the expert on how the gimbal/camera interfaces and handshakes with the flight controller and the i/o would be suspended and interrupted whilst connecting or disconnecting the device I say knock yourself out and go ahead and leave it powered up.

I wouldn't do it... I attach the camera when taking it out of the case whilst setting it up and then hold it in my hand to wait for the legs to come down.
when putting it away I turn off, take it off and turn back on to go into travel mode... no big deal I think..

Since you seem to be the expert on how the gimbal/camera interfaces and handshakes with the flight controller and the i/o would be suspended and interrupted whilst connecting or disconnecting the device I say knock yourself out and go ahead and leave it powered up.
LOL Editor I feel like I am watching an evolution of your sarcasm. It seems to be making more appearances lately.

I've noticed you give your 2 cents in a lot of threads on this forum. Even when you really don't know what you're talking about.

I never said I leave the aircraft on so there is no need for me to "knock myself out". I was merely asking if there was any official documentation stating it is or isn't good for the gimbal/camera.

You then proceeded to ask me if I unplug my computer while its still turned on. Which, in reality, is nothing like connecting the camera while the aircraft is on. You're analogy would be more appropriate if I asked: "Is it bad if I remove the battery from the quad while its still on?"

So I pointed out the fact that you didn't make any sense and you became butt hurt over it.

No bid deal, if you don't know for sure, the answer to what I was asking, there really isn't any reason for you to be sarcastic and try to prove you're smarter than everyone else.

I'll let you have it, you are smarter than me, and by the sound of a lot of your posts, a lot lot older too.
So I guess what they say is true: "With age comes wisdom"....I hope to be as wise as you one day!

I've noticed you give your 2 cents in a lot of threads on this forum. Even when you really don't know what you're talking about.

I never said I leave the aircraft on so there is no need for me to "knock myself out". I was merely asking if there was any official documentation stating it is or isn't good for the gimbal/camera.

You then proceeded to ask me if I unplug my computer while its still turned on. Which, in reality, is nothing like connecting the camera while the aircraft is on. You're analogy would be more appropriate if I asked: "Is it bad if I remove the battery from the quad while its still on?"

So I pointed out the fact that you didn't make any sense and you became butt hurt over it.

No bid deal, if you don't know for sure, the answer to what I was asking, there really isn't any reason for you to be sarcastic and try to prove you're smarter than everyone else.

I'll let you have it, you are smarter than me, and by the sound of a lot of your posts, a lot lot older too.
So I guess what they say is true: "With age comes wisdom"....I hope to be as wise as you one day!
Hey, don't pick on us old people, we've earned more respect that that! Just kidding, you can pick on me, I dont care, I'm used to it. [emoji3] [emoji3]

Enjoy life and be nice

Hey, don't pick on us old people, we've earned more respect that that! Just kidding, you can pick on me, I dont care, I'm used to it. [emoji3] [emoji3]

Enjoy life and be nice

Not picking on you guys! I really do appreciate the knowledge and help that everyone provides here.

I can't deny, you've experienced things that will definitely make you smarter and wiser than me. I just don't like it when some people think they are smarter than others and have the need to prove that over and over again through sarcasm or belittling.

I find this to be very true on the internet. Everyone I've met online is either a a self proclaimed genius or has Phds in every fathomable topic in the entire universe

I think I might get my internet PhDs as well :cool:

Not picking on you guys! I really do appreciate the knowledge and help that everyone provides here.

I can't deny, you've experienced things that will definitely make you smarter and wiser than me. I just don't like it when some people think they are smarter than others and have the need to prove that over and over again through sarcasm or belittling.

I find this to be very true on the internet. Everyone I've met online is either a a self proclaimed genius or has Phds in every fathomable topic in the entire universe

I think I might get my internet PhDs as well :cool:

No PhD but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night:)

I have done it, but accidentally .. Had great hurry in a job once and that's when mistakes happen. As you all maybe knows. ;)

Powered on and went out of travel mode. Turned the drone upside down, while it was powered on and mounted the camera.
Gimbal started to turn around and I got a little panicked. :)
But it worked as it should and still do.

I will not do it again and planning on buy a case, there I can put the drone down in flightmode with gimbal/camera and props on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido