Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Waypoint Mode

Pre-planned waypoints (without having to fly them first) would be great.

But, I realize it may be difficult to accomplish. I would imagine that one of the reasons your current method exists is to ensure obstacles are not hit and proper elevation from the ground is maintained.

Regarding ground elevations, with other UAVs we fly, a digital terrain file (DTED) is loaded into a flight computer prior to each mission. Ground elevations and pre-planned waypoints are stated in MSL. When we pre-plan a waypoint, we can check the MSL by clicking it on the map thus ensuring we enter a proper value to maintain a certain AGL, e.g. 500 feet.

We are hard at work creating Waypoint Mode, but we need your feedback to make it great. Have an idea for what you would like to see in Waypoint Mode? Post your idea here and it may make it into the next release!
- Camera controls. Since the main purpose of an inspire 1 is to take video/photos I think we need to be able to control all aspects of the camera from the app esp with x5 coming soon :)

- Ability to continue seeing camera and map view before and after the mission is disconnected (when we are flying manually)

- Different speeds between each waypoint

- Visual representation of curved paths

- Ability to edit multiple waypoints at once

- Save missions

- Create missions on computer preferably with Google Earth.

- Control pitch angle of camera at Multiple POIs

- Be able to specify which POI each waypoint should focus on.

- Ability to specify height of POI

I would imagine that one of the reasons your current method exists is to ensure obstacles are not hit and proper elevation from the ground is maintained.
Autopilot doesn't have waypoints right now. Do you mean the current implementation in DJI GO?

a digital terrain file (DTED) is loaded into a flight computer
Where does this file come from?

- Camera controls....
Are these in priority order? If not can you prioritize the list?

Depends if you are going to use dji sdk WP implementation or complete rewrite? There are many limitations with DJI's.

In no particular order:

1. Camera controls. As noted, this is being marketed as a video platform. Need on the fly controls

2. Multiple POIs for focusing

3. On the fly or on the ground placement of WPs

4. Repeat and loop - love the way you have this set up for cablecam

5.different speed for different segments.

Depends if you are going to use dji sdk WP implementation or complete rewrite? There are many limitations with DJI's.
Autopilot already uses a custom flight controller, so we are not limited by the SDK (yes, we wrote it from scratch).

In no particular order
Priority order is much more helpful as there will have to be compromises to get the first pass done in a reasonable amount of time.

1. Camera controls. As noted, this is being marketed as a video platform.
This isn't really specific to Waypoint Mode as it really just applies to all Modes right? So you are saying you would rather see us spend time on recreating the camera controls that are available already in DJI GO, even if it means that Waypoint Mode is delayed? Are there particular camera controls you would rather see prioritized over others?

2. Multiple POIs for focusing
How would you like to specify these? One focus point per segment? Multiple segment? Focus points based on time index? Something else?

5.different speed for different segments.
Do you want to be able to specify a default speed for all segments, and then be able to override that for specific segments?

Our needs are (the very basics) multiple POI during a run (we are assuming the current Joystick strategy would still be there for Waypoints). We already like the Zip Line ability to set an independent POI with elevation and it works great. With multiple waypoints, we would like to be able to set multiple POI's that like in Zip Line may or may not include the waypoints themselves as the focus point.

Likely not very easy to incorporate since it will also call for a timing as to when the focal point (POI) changes as the bird flies the route. But I guess that if it even can only change to a single selectable POI per waypoint (changing as it reaches each waypoint), a person could work with that. If it were even more flexible, all the better.

1. I think you need at least iso and shutterspeed and the exposure meter.

2. POIs- beginner mode, single POI. Intermediate, POI per segments or nearest POI. AdVance - specify any POI to focus.

3. Overall mission speed which can be changed on the fly with sticks. In intermediate and advance modes, can override speed at each segment. Speed ramping option. At beginning and ending WP, can ramp speed to have smooth start/stop.

4. Actions anywhere on flight path (dji sdk only allows actions on straight paths not on curved turns and only at WP)

You guys have huge advantage with your own flight control and your POI focus engine. Other sdk implementation of WP only interpolate angles between 2 set angles and not really focus on POI

In my opinion I feel the camera controls throughout the application are much needed. Switching between apps is very much clumsy. I want a goto app that looks professional and handles all the key points.

On the waypoints I would love to see spline implementation. Basically instead of hard points the are smoothed like if you used a pen tool. They would be much more beneficial to people using a planed course to get a shot. It will be fluid. Take a look at 3DR's tower app for this.

Here is also a video...

Reactions: Daniel Miles
In my opinion I feel the camera controls throughout the application are much needed. Switching between apps is very much clumsy. I want a goto app that looks professional and handles all the key points.
We are looking into the possibility of using the new split-screen multitasking feature in iOS9 to run DJI GO and Autopilot side-by-side. If this is possible would it be acceptable over implementing all the camera controls that GO already has? We aren't opposed to doing this work, its just that it takes time and resources away from working on things that Autopilot can do that other apps cannot.

In thinking about it some more, it would also be nice to be able to fly to each waypoint, then using the camera view, set the focus at that waypoint. The simplest (my guess) would be to use bezier smoothing between waypoints for the camera focus so that the cam stays on the POI while approaching, at the waypoint and for a short time after going over the waypoint, then a smooth cam move to the next POI. Probably wouldn't want a linear transition for POI to POI, although if that were an option, would work in some circumstances.

We are looking into the possibility of using the new split-screen multitasking feature in iOS9 to run DJI GO and Autopilot side-by-side. If this is possible would it be acceptable over implementing all the camera controls that GO already has? We aren't opposed to doing this work, its just that it takes time and resources away from working on things that Autopilot can do that other apps cannot.

Yes for me at least as long as both apps will run at the same time. I do however hope in time you continue to make your app the only one I need. :)

One more thing that I really have an issue with. I love to use the full screen in landscape mode. I however hate not being able to view both map and video at the same time. Perhaps can you please make it so we have the option of a small window that will show the map in the corner or the video (P in P like the DJI app) when switching back/forth from video or map? A re-sizable window would be even better! :) Keep up the great work!

On the waypoints I would love to see spline implementation. Basically instead of hard points the are smoothed like if you used a pen tool. They would be much more beneficial to people using a planed course to get a shot. It will be fluid. Take a look at 3DR's tower app for this.

Here is also a video...

Yup this functionality is awesome!!!

Camera settings (Iso & shutter speed), histogram and gimbal roll adjust should be available in autopilot...just like in DJI Go. Need to have fast access to this without running DJI Go and autopilot side by side. The iPad mini screen is too small to run both apps in splitscreen.
Adding camera controls is much more important than creating the waypoint mode.

OK here is a prioritized list. I think that Camera controls are super important but i think most people want waypoints first. My list of course excludes most of the obvious feature and i have now added one based on Wes's Adrucopter spline waypoint example as this is something i have always wanted; ability to fly smooth arcs which basic "curved waypoints" do not allow (or are limited).

- Spline based waypoints

- Ability to edit multiple waypoints at once

- Save missions (would be nice if app settings were saved too on exit)

- Control pitch angle of camera at Multiple POIs

- Be able to specify which POI each waypoint should focus on.

- Different speeds between each waypoint

- Joystick modes as you have now for both camera and throttle (waypoint would have a base speed but could use joystick to speed up)

- Camera controls. Since the main purpose of an inspire 1 is to take video/photos I think we need to be able to control all aspects of the camera from the app esp with x5 coming soon :)

- Ability to continue seeing camera and map view before and after the mission is disconnected (when we are flying manually)

- Create missions on computer preferably with Google Earth or other custom program.

I think that would be great as long as its easy to flip back and forth between split and full Autopilot (havent used iOS 9 yet). I thought DJI Go had to be closed for Autopilot to run?

I have iOS 9 now. I just tried flipping back and forth between DJI Go and Autopilot and it is very easy just by using the double click on the round button on my Mini 3. Don't even need split screen as i think this is easier. When DJI Go was open though Autopilot reports "Searching for Inspire 1" so if have to close DJI Go then i think that rules out even split screen no? am i missing something?

One other thing that i just remembered is that DJI recently limited the how close Waypoints can be together because there was a bug where the I1 would stop responding if two waypoints were in same location. Since we don't live in a 2D world this has limitations. For example if I am sitting at the top of a cliff and flying below myself and want to come straight up there is no way I can do this. Even if you can minimize the distance between waypoints this would be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travejars