Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

battery cycling

Reaction score
has anyone seen something similar to this for the inspire?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Batte...490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a4275632

I am currently cycling all of my battery packs, and its taking ages. The problem I see with using the actual inspire to cycle them is that the fans etc inside it will be subjected to a lot of unnecessary runtime if just left powered on on the bench.

If I run the motors to run the batteries out quicker then I am also putting wear and tear on everything.

So I thought about going and buying a couple of 24v truck bulbs and making a discharge rig......

The only problem I can see with that is that the battery may not like to do a "HOT" start, Ie all of the current able to be pulled by the bulbs would be pulled as soon as its turned on.

In the past I got over this with some sacrificial banana connectors that took the brunt of the sparks etc from connecting a battery to a bulb bank....... then i replaced them when they were knackered, and didnt damage the original battery connections.

ideas?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Batte...490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a4275632

I am currently cycling all of my battery packs, and its taking ages. The problem I see with using the actual inspire to cycle them is that the fans etc inside it will be subjected to a lot of unnecessary runtime if just left powered on on the bench.

If I run the motors to run the batteries out quicker then I am also putting wear and tear on everything.

So I thought about going and buying a couple of 24v truck bulbs and making a discharge rig......

The only problem I can see with that is that the battery may not like to do a "HOT" start, Ie all of the current able to be pulled by the bulbs would be pulled as soon as its turned on.

In the past I got over this with some sacrificial banana connectors that took the brunt of the sparks etc from connecting a battery to a bulb bank....... then i replaced them when they were knackered, and didnt damage the original battery connections.

ideas?

The Inspire batteries do a 'soft' start for you. When you do the double press to turn them on.
They were designed this way so as not to spark etc when putting them in/out of the Inspire. o_O

So...do you agree this is a good idea?
Providing the bulb is not a 'silly' wattage then I can see no harm in it as the battery will shut itself off when it reaches LVC threshold.

I do a similar thing to Kilrah and use my CellPro Powerlab to do regenerative discharge at 50watts on my Inspire packs. Boils down to the same thing but I already had a Powerlab to use rather than make up a cable with a bulb on it ! :)

Reactions: Kilrah
I used my Smart PowerCharge SPC4500 to do a deep cycle on a TB48 battery for the first time at the weekend (monitoring and recording every 15 minutes). It took 5 hours to discharge the battery from 34% down to 5% (19.7V) and just under 2 hours to charge to 100%.

A long time yes but it was done progressively so not to damage the battery and it could easily have been completed overnight without my intervention. I could at the same time deep cycled or charged 3 other batteries at the same time.

the bulb I have aquired is a 24v 75w bulb, so maybe a bit power hungry for a very low battery pack, but at the least I can run it down to the last light on the pack and then put it in the inspire,

It just seems to me that DJI's advice of using the inspire to cycle the batteries is just another ploy to add wear and tear and sell spare parts (or in this case repair quotes)

12V Battery Discharger with 35W Bulb for DJI Phantom 2 | eBay

ideas?
Hi, Have you heard of a device called 'phantom angel' I bought one of these and it is just the job, you can either put your battery into storage state or cycle it.
the guy who makes them is [email protected] and the website is Phantom Angel well worth a look.

Reactions: FlyNAce
Hi, Have you heard of a device called 'phantom angel' I bought one of these and it is just the job, you can either put your battery into storage state or cycle it.
the guy who makes them is [email protected] and the website is Phantom Angel well worth a look.
Bit of a necro thread this one as last post was mid 2015!
Yeah, the Angel has been mentioned a few times on here and many of us have them. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop