Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good to see someone to share.
Here is my setup, The first trial with the TB47 + 2 x 6S 1550mah, when I reached 5km the battery bar show it hase 78% left, when it lands the battery bar show 48% left. The total Flight time of this Trial are 12:43 mins with 48% of Battery left.

Attachments

• My Mods 2 Edition 01.jpg
    My Mods 2 Edition 01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 596
  • My Mods 2 Edition 03.jpg
    My Mods 2 Edition 03.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 572
  • 1st Trial Run - 1 1410.jpg
    1st Trial Run - 1 1410.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 1st Trial Run - 2 1410.PNG
    1st Trial Run - 2 1410.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 549
  • 1st Trial Run - 4 1410.jpg
    1st Trial Run - 4 1410.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
The Second trial with the TB47 + 2 x 6S 1550mah, when I reached 7.1km the battery bar show it hase 72% left, when it lands the battery bar show 32% left. The total Flight time of this Trial are 14:29 mins with 32% of Battery left.

Attachments

• 2nd Trial Run - 1 1810.PNG
    2nd Trial Run - 1 1810.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 332
  • 2nd Trial Run - 2 1810.PNG
    2nd Trial Run - 2 1810.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 318
  • 2nd Trial Run - 3 1810.PNG
    2nd Trial Run - 3 1810.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 327
  • 2nd Trial Run - 4 1810.PNG
    2nd Trial Run - 4 1810.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 344
  • 2nd Trial Run - 5 1810.jpg
    2nd Trial Run - 5 1810.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 367
  • 2nd Trial Run - 7 1810.jpg
    2nd Trial Run - 7 1810.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 2nd Trial Run - 8 1810.jpg
    2nd Trial Run - 8 1810.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
The Second trial with the BT47 + 2 x 6S 1550mah, when I reached 7.1km the battery bar show it hase 72% left, when it lands the battery bar show 32% left. The total Flight time of this Trial are 14:29 mins with 32% of Battery left.

Hmm. That seems really low in terms of flight time. I've got 25:17 (to 10% to be sure) with 2 x 6S 1300's. Getting only 14:29 to 32% seems quite low to me.

Were you at 100% throttle out and back? Optimal for power usage is about 80%. You can use the FPV Camera app to customize metrics and show real-time power usage to find the sweet spot FYI.

Hmm. That seems really low in terms of flight time. I've got 25:17 (to 10% to be sure) with 2 x 6S 1300's. Getting only 14:29 to 32% seems quite low to me.

Were you at 100% throttle out and back? Optimal for power usage is about 80%. You can use the FPV Camera app to customize metrics and show real-time power usage to find the sweet spot FYI.
Both Trial I was using GPS to fly out stright to 5km and 7.1km and Atti to fly home, it could be the issue.
Did you do long run or just hanging close to you?

Both Trial I was using GPS to fly out stright to 5km and 7.1km and Atti to fly home, it could be the issue.
Did you do long run or just hanging close to you?

Ah!! I just noticed your modified battery is a TB47 not TB48. Mine is a TB48. That's one big difference.

Ah!! I just noticed your modified battery is a TB47 not TB48. Mine is a TB48. That's one big difference.
I have done one BT48 but didn't have time to testing it. But form the previous data I collected, I think it will give me another 5mins when it reach 32% battery left ( under the same testing format ).

So you are suggesting to fly at 80% to mimimal the use of power rather than 100% thottle. Right?

Yes correct. There is an app called FPV Camera that allows you to customize the flight metrics on screen and you can put the power usage on screen to see as you fly what uses least power in real time.

Kind of like the real-time fuel consumption gauge views on some cars. Go up a hill, consumption goes up, etc.

Reactions: tcchow
Looking at your pictures I was mentally calculating CG and how close you had gotten the additional batteries and had the idea DJI should've had. If you look at the new X5 Mount and gimble they're both very obviously engineered to move the effective weight of the camera assembly significantly rearward to correct the CG as the X5 is so much heavier. Since they were technically developing a new "PRO" model a little more engineering would have allowed the installation of twin TB series batteries next to each other. An option already in practice on the Matrice. This would only require an updated battery box assembly, an integrated twin buss board, and an upper air frame which would widen out to twin humps to seamlessly blend in with the two batteries and allow for twin tail lamps. There would no longer be a need to tuck the camera as far back as they did. Given that the front of the existing battery is just about at the center of the aircraft the addition of another battery with the two centered side to side would seem to add just enough to allow the use of the existing gimble mount and no need for the additional pivot they created in the X5 gimble to move it further rearward. Twin TB48's, a V shaped double hump air frame, a great micro four thirds front and center would be bad *** IMO. It would add an additional 770g of batteries, add some with the air frame mods, probably save equally as much with the smaller gimble mount and smaller upper gimble as the air frame mods so in the end it would probably be a 4200g bird with 11400mAh on board. Given the real world performance experienced by what your doing Damon and with the effect the X5 has had I would expect it could possibly get to 30 minutes even with the X5.
I totally agree with you but business to business issue.......
Maybe you will find what you said at the Inspire 2 at the comming year.

Looking at your pictures I was mentally calculating CG and how close you had gotten the additional batteries and had the idea DJI should've had. If you look at the new X5 Mount and gimble they're both very obviously engineered to move the effective weight of the camera assembly significantly rearward to correct the CG as the X5 is so much heavier. Since they were technically developing a new "PRO" model a little more engineering would have allowed the installation of twin TB series batteries next to each other. An option already in practice on the Matrice. This would only require an updated battery box assembly, an integrated twin buss board, and an upper air frame which would widen out to twin humps to seamlessly blend in with the two batteries and allow for twin tail lamps. There would no longer be a need to tuck the camera as far back as they did. Given that the front of the existing battery is just about at the center of the aircraft the addition of another battery with the two centered side to side would seem to add just enough to allow the use of the existing gimble mount and no need for the additional pivot they created in the X5 gimble to move it further rearward. Twin TB48's, a V shaped double hump air frame, a great micro four thirds front and center would be bad *** IMO. It would add an additional 770g of batteries, add some with the air frame mods, probably save equally as much with the smaller gimble mount and smaller upper gimble as the air frame mods so in the end it would probably be a 4200g bird with 11400mAh on board. Given the real world performance experienced by what your doing Damon and with the effect the X5 has had I would expect it could possibly get to 30 minutes even with the X5.

Interesting. I have tried two TB48's wired in parallel but due mostly I think to the horrific CoG shift of my mounting solution (tacked on the back), flight time was only 25min, same as adding two little 6S 1300mah packs.

The Matrice can apparently get 40min hover empty with two TB47's. That might be worth a try, but with the 2nd TB47 mounted underneath, closer to the CoG so the rear motors aren't working so hard and burning up all the juice.

I have never flown a Inspire Pro so I do not know how it is affected by weight. Was about to buy some 3 S lipos to extend the flight time - preparing for the X5 on my Inspire 1. Well now I have got my X5 - and my ambition to get extra flight time with extra lipos have gone. The weight that the X5 puts on the Inspire 1 already change its flight characteristics a lot - so adding extra lipo weight is out of the question for me now. The X5 R is even heavier than the X5 so just adding extra lipos for flight time would alter its flight characteristics considerably. Despite of this I really appreciate the tests you are doing and let us hope you can come up with a combination that can bring us better flight time even with the X5 on the Inspire 1.

I have never flown a Inspire Pro so I do not know how it is affected by weight. Was about to buy some 3 S lipos to extend the flight time - preparing for the X5 on my Inspire 1. Well now I have got my X5 - and my ambition to get extra flight time with extra lipos have gone. The weight that the X5 puts on the Inspire 1 already change its flight characteristics a lot - so adding extra lipo weight is out of the question for me now. The X5 R is even heavier than the X5 so just adding extra lipos for flight time would alter its flight characteristics considerably. Despite of this I really appreciate the tests you are doing and let us hope you can come up with a combination that can bring us better flight time even with the X5 on the Inspire 1.
I am in the same boat, adding the X5 to my inspire and have with great interest followed these posts regarding extra batteries. So you are saying that not even the 3S would be of any significant benefit? To heavy to get decent flights?

Is it right, don't you think?

Attachments

• note151121_0.jpg
    note151121_0.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 339
I am in the same boat, adding the X5 to my inspire and have with great interest followed these posts regarding extra batteries. So you are saying that not even the 3S would be of any significant benefit? To heavy to get decent flights?

Two 1300mah 6S's with a TB48 main battery will yield:

- 25min with an X3 to 10% (confirmed by me),

- 17min with an X5 to 30% (confirmed by Steve Mandel, a friend and well known photographer who took this setup to Antartica recently with special permits to film there).

Reactions: Jesus manuel
No I am not saying that I know that - I have not tried - and I decided not to try. The reason for not trying is that the flight characteristic of my Inspire is already altered by adding the X5 - so I will not add any more weight to it. My solution to the flight time problem is not very original or experimental - I simply buy more batteries.
I highly respect those who are trying out all this tests with extra lipos - they are nice and share their knowledge to us all.

Last edited:
Hi Nils,
can you confirm if your X5 is attached to an older inspire one or a Pro a V2 both with more powerful motors ?
if it is an older one, It may well be that the extra weight of the X5 is reaching close to the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan