Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it was and due to battery placement further design tweaks have been made throughout the day. Here's a teaser. This is NOT the final version.

Attachments

• 12557642_10153960268596869_470826281_o.jpg
    12557642_10153960268596869_470826281_o.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 22.11.56.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 22.11.56.png
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Raphael Dahan
We had to do another few tweaks to get comfortable clearance with the X5 gimbal dampers.

This will be V6 of the X5 aux battery holder. It proved a tougher problem to solve than anticipated but I think we're there. Neil is test printing the V6 design now.

Reactions: Raphael Dahan
Ok, we're done with the design of the X5/R version of the Inspire 1 auxiliary battery holder.

Neil has them available now here:
DJI Inspire 1 X3/X5 Dual Battery Plate - Aero3D by Aeroeye

This was a tough one to crack but in my humble opinion, the result is a true masterpiece. Took 7 design iterations to get here, but it's pretty much perfect. The bracket also clears the ground in landing mode with the X5/R feet extensions and touches and flexes for landing mode without the X5 feet extensions.

NOTE: I get no renumeration for this, and I don't expect anything from Neil except maybe a copy of the final plate (valued at a whopping $24.99). But it was fun to work on this and I hope you guys love it.

From the website:

X5 version: Available in black or white to meet your preference and affixed using either a single cable tie (supplied) through the base of the battery cage, using 2 longer bolts (supplied) as replacement for the existing 2 rear bolts at the base of the battery cage, or both, this plate takes just a minute or two to affix. The plates have 2 slots per side for the use of velcro ties (x2 included). It is highly recommended that suitable self-adhesive loop tape (not supplied) also be used on the battery plates to prevent movement during flight. In addition, the X5 version also accommodates the Flytrex in the under cage mount position, as detailed in the Flytrex installation instructions. Also, with the DJI or Aero3D leg extensions fitted, there is sufficient clearance (6-8mm) between the battery plates (no batteries fitted) and ground when in travel mode.

You will receive:
  • 1 x battery plate (in colour of your choosing)
  • 1 x cable tie
  • 2 x black velcro straps
  • 2 x longer stainless bolts for fixing (X5 version only)
Flight characteristics: Center of gravity has been carefully considered in the design of the X3 and X5 attachment plates, with the recognition that CofG is an important factor in maximizing performance and flight time when using auxiliary batteries on the Inspire. The X3 and X5 mounting positions and plate designs respect the different centers of gravity with the X3 and X5gimbals, with the center of gravity being further forward with the heavier X5 gimbal due to it's additional weight. CofG can also be fine tuned as required for different battery types and weights by adjusting battery position (fore and aft and/or rotation) on the battery plates as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Boarman
Great work guys! Without seeing it and from the images provided I don't see how or where this would fit with the gimbal mount in mine? There are no images where I see the x5 gimbal mount and camera on with this mount? I sure I'm missing something! See the wide gimbal mount on mine. I also found anything touching the edges if the gimbal mount makes the camera shake! I suppose I've got nothing to loose to try it though. It seemed to me the mount needs a little twist so to angle away from the wide gimbal mount in the front.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Adelberg. That is the same mount plate as on the Inspire in the pictures above. There are only 2. X3 or X5. The plate is shown with X5 (larger) vibration plate fitted. If you want to see one then you can purchase and trust me it it a perfect design for use with the X5 plate and camera/gimbal. 2 of the images on the site clearly show the X5 plate and camera. Here is one of them.

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
sorry neil tried to copy from ebay: pull up item 291592378654.

The mounts to the battery box look very interesting and parts of it could be adapted by someone with a 3d printer to hold batteries either above or below ? Looks like it snaps on?

It mounts below the battery cage. Attaches via screws (included) and/or nylon zip tie.

Damon thx for your ingenneiring effort and investment. One question , is the bracket fit the x5r?

We don't have one to test with to know for sure obviously but as best we can tell from photos yes.

I have an X5R pre-ordered and I intend to use extra batteries with it for redundancy and extra flight time and I intend to use this battery mount with it.

We don't have one to test with to know for sure obviously but as best we can tell from photos yes.

I have an X5R pre-ordered and I intend to use extra batteries with it for redundancy and extra flight time and I intend to use this battery mount with it.
Ok, I will wait for your testing and results, me also plan to x5r.
I try to understand after all , the best battery for our I1?
Thanks so mach .

Ok, I will wait for your testing and results, me also plan to x5r.
I try to understand after all , the best battery for our I1?
Thanks so mach .

The jury is still out on best battery but with the X3 installed 2 X 2650's will yield about 28:30 flight time to 10%. I have two Thunder Power 2700's on the way and I'll post results with those when they arrive.

For X5, with the extra weight on board total flight time will be 5-8 min less and I suspect best flight time will be optimal with a smaller mAH battery.

Once my X5R arrives I'll be retesting to find the sweet spot.

Note I am using T-Motor 14x4.8 carbon fiber props for all my testing so your mileage may vary.

The TP LiHV's hold the most promise for 30min+ on the Inspire but it's a $500 investment to try.
Demon, I like to make a test with the TP Lihv, inspite the high price, I do think that they can give us the 30min, just tell me the referance and will order them.

Demon, I like to make a test with the TP Lihv, inspite the high price, I do think that they can give us the 30min, just tell me the referance and will order them.

Cool. You have a few options in terms of battery selection. Unfortunately they only offer 3500, 4500, 7000 and 9000 versions (3S and 6S are available of each though). You need their selectable proprietary charger to charge up to 4.35V/cell.

Weight is the key element to watch when selecting the battery.

I think one promising looking option but a tad on the heavy side is the single 7000 6S @ 797g:

Thunder Power RC TP7000-6SHV

Another option is a single 4500 6S. The 3S's can be used when wired in parallel but they are heavier than a single battery.

Here is the needed charger:

TP820HVC

I have two of their regular 25C 2700 6S's on the way and in hopeful they may get me closer as well.

Cool. You have a few options in terms of battery selection. Unfortunately they only offer 3500, 4500, 7000 and 9000 versions (3S and 6S are available of each though). You need their selectable proprietary charger to charge up to 4.35V/cell.

Weight is the key element to watch when selecting the battery.

I think one promising looking option but a tad on the heavy side is the single 7000 6S @ 797g:

Thunder Power RC TP7000-6SHV

Another option is a single 4500 6S. The 3S's can be used when wired in parallel but they are heavier than a single battery.

Here is the needed charger:

TP820HVC

I have two of their regular 25C 2700 6S's on the way and in hopeful they may get me closer as well.
Thx Damon, the TP7000 6s gives me 22.8v, isn't too high? If I connect in parallel whats happened with the amps when they connect to TBx's 5700/7000 is it can be matched together?
I like the "c" on this bat , but the weight issu as you said, makes me cool down. I'll keep on looking the best combination and follow your advice.

Thx Damon, the TP7000 6s gives me 22.8v, isn't too high? If I connect in parallel whats happened with the amps when they connect to TBx's 5700/7000 is it can be matched together?
I like the "c" on this bat , but the weight issu as you said, makes me cool down. I'll keep on looking the best combination and follow your advice.

Connect up 6S batteries in parallel to keep voltage the same (the Inspire is 22.2V) and 3S batteries in series (to double voltage from 11.1V to 22.2V).

Yeah, at this point I think the sweet spot, at least with an X3 is in the 2X 2700-3000 (6S) neighborhood. I'll post back when my TP 2700's get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212