Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery overheating?

Reaction score
Hi,
After a flight from 100% down to 30% i took out the battery and it was pretty hot to the touch, id say 60 degrees, maybe high 50's. you couldnt hold it comfortably in the hand,

When I went to charge it, instead of charge, the second light flashed quickly and the first was solid, (i think)

I assumed that it knew it was hot, (after all its called an intelligent battery right?) so I put it in the car to cool down,

On the way home, exactly as I turned off the ignition on the car (battery in no way electrically connected to the car) the first light came on, flashed a few times and went off.

The battery has since charged ok.

any ideas?

Hi,
After a flight from 100% down to 30% i took out the battery and it was pretty hot to the touch, id say 60 degrees, maybe high 50's. you couldnt hold it comfortably in the hand,

When I went to charge it, instead of charge, the second light flashed quickly and the first was solid, (i think)

I assumed that it knew it was hot, (after all its called an intelligent battery right?) so I put it in the car to cool down,

On the way home, exactly as I turned off the ignition on the car (battery in no way electrically connected to the car) the first light came on, flashed a few times and went off.

The battery has since charged ok.

any ideas?
Yup.....allow your packs to FULLY cool back to ambient before charging.
The over temp protection was preventing you from charging and was being signalled via the LEDs.
The Inspire packs are intelligent enough to know you should NEVER put a pack straight back on charge immediately after a flight.
Yes, they do get warm....

Last edited:
After a flight from 100% down to 30% i took out the battery and it was pretty hot to the touch, id say 60 degrees, maybe high 50's.
Why guess when you can look at the battery temperature in the app?

Yep it's quite good at protecting itself from abusers, and won't charge until it's cool, maybe below 35°C or so ;)

Kilrah, are you still in the UAE?
If you are I wouldnt mind someone giving me a hand at getting to grips with the app........ do you ever go to al Lisaili?

Yup still in Silicon Oasis. Didn't go to the field much, still moving around by taxi and while it's not a problem to get there going back is harder that way ;)

hmmmm, im in DSO maybe we could meet one evening? if you had time during working hours I might be able to take you out there and we can play around with the cuads

Yep let's do that! Just send me a PM when you have a moment, My schedule is a bit day by day...

New to this thread and Inspire 1. Flying in the UAE summer temperatures can be anywhere from 40 to 48 on an average day. Is it safe to fly the inspire in that heat. I went out yesterday for a test flight. 10 Minutes in the flight the Ipad 3 Mini turned off with a message "Let the ipad cool down". I landed instantly to avoid any further problems.

Anyone has any experience of operating in these high temperatures? Is it safe to fly? The batteries wont just go off during the flight or something?

New to this thread and Inspire 1. Flying in the UAE summer temperatures can be anywhere from 40 to 48 on an average day. Is it safe to fly the inspire in that heat. I went out yesterday for a test flight. 10 Minutes in the flight the Ipad 3 Mini turned off with a message "Let the ipad cool down". I landed instantly to avoid any further problems.

Anyone has any experience of operating in these high temperatures? Is it safe to fly? The batteries wont just go off during the flight or something?
pm me

The operating temperature of the Inspire is -10 to +40c for both the aircraft and the battery.
The op temp for the camera is rated as 0 to +40c.
Operating the RPAS outside of these temperatures obviously means you are using it in an environment it was never designed to operated in.
Your iPAd will have its own temperature range of operation.

Having said all of that, your best person to speak to will be @Moose as he regularly flies in extreme temperatures and will have first hand experience of high temperature environments and how the Inspire behaves.

Over to you Mr Moose. :)

Reactions: mdomeny and m00se
The operating temperature of the Inspire is -10 to +40c for both the aircraft and the battery.
The op temp for the camera is rated as 0 to +40c.
Operating the RPAS outside of these temperatures obviously means you are using it in an environment it was never designed to operated in.
Your iPAd will have its own temperature range of operation.

Having said all of that, your best person to speak to will be @Moose as he regularly flies in extreme temperatures and will have first hand experience of high temperature environments and how the Inspire behaves.

Over to you Mr Moose. :)
yes please mr moose,
tell us some experience you have had until now...
although i live in an intercontinetal weather area(Hungary) temps can get really extreme like 40+C°...
fortunatly i have had no issues yet but would be happy to learn if someone had hit the boundries of the bird...
cheers

Cheers guys.

Will shoot a PM to Moose.
I think Moose has already seen this post (he has 'liked' the comment above).

Rather than PM could we have then comments on the forum so the whole community can share experiences etc?
It would be useful info for people to 'have in their back pocket' if they are flying nearing the threshold of Inspire specs.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
yes please mr moose,
tell us some experience you have had until now...
although i live in an intercontinetal weather area(Hungary) temps can get really extreme like 40+C°...
fortunatly i have had no issues yet but would be happy to learn if someone had hit the boundries of the bird...
cheers

in a nutshell, everything overheats after about 10 mins being exposed to 40+
The only thing that hasnt overheated has been the bird itself, but batteries, ipad, controller and camera have all overheated....... the controller hasnt shut down, but has given some weird beeps.

I also have a fan cooled charging case to help me cool the batteries before and after flight,
3d printed coolness is in the process of being added to that

in a nutshell, everything overheats after about 10 mins being exposed to 40+
The only thing that hasnt overheated has been the bird itself, but batteries, ipad, controller and camera have all overheated....... the controller hasnt shut down, but has given some weird beeps.

I also have a fan cooled charging case to help me cool the batteries before and after flight,
3d printed coolness is in the process of being added to that
can you post some pics of that charging case? curious :)

Well guys if you check me out on FB I almost died, was on can you dialysis for my received over 25 units of blood and transfusions, I have had numerous surgeries on my right leg and they're deciding whether not to have to amputate it. So while this was going on and I was in the hospital from July 30 until about five days ago somebody stole my inspire one unit case and all!!! My right leg is paralyzed so I've been bedridden and all I've been able to do was make a police report filed and I would never do much from there. As far as the heat issue goes I wish I could give you some great news but right now I've got so many medical issues going on in my head it's hard to really think about that I'm sure you can understand but I promise once I get my head cleared in my medical issues are back to cooling down no pun intended I will give you a answer that should be helpful for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well guys if you check me out on FB I almost died, was on can you dialysis for my received over 25 units of blood and transfusions, I have had numerous surgeries on my right leg and they're deciding whether not to have to amputate it. So while this was going on and I was in the hospital from July 30 until about five days ago somebody stole my inspire one unit case and all!!! My right leg is paralyzed so I've been bedridden and all I've been able to do was make a police report filed and I would never do much from there. As far as the heat issue goes I wish I could give you some great news but right now I've got so many medical issues going on in my head it's hard to really think about that I'm sure you can understand but I promise once I get my head cleared in my medical issues are back to cooling down no pun intended I will give you a answer that should be helpful for your situation.

Get well soon moose! !
Best wishes! !
Turb...

@Moose - so sorry to hear that news.
Hope you make a speedy recovery Mr Moose and I hope they catch the pond life that stole your I1. :mad:

holly sh** moose,

i am sorry to hear that and hope you get your bird back...
get well soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop