Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Calibrate Len Using Manual Focus Inspire 2 X5S

Hmmm, I wish DJI would change the option description, it's misleading and is such a red-herring :(

You guys are aware that the focus calibration is only in effect for manual focus and simply sets the fast jump focus setting for the near and infinity points for the focus slider icons - (or for the focus wheel) i.e. When you touch the far/near icon at the top/bottom of the manual focus slider it 'jumps' to that setting.

It doesn't 'calibrate'/'microfocus adjust' and store a profile of the lens for use in autofocus like you can do on DSLR's.

(This is the same for both the X5 and the X5S.)
You got it almost right. Still, what you are referring to is "autofocus" calibration in DSLR where lens focus positions get micro-adjusted to camera focusing algorithm/metering - it is extremely unexpected for DJI to include any similar "autofocus calibration" as none of DJI cameras has any kind of autofocus system other then pure contrast detection in software.
I agree that option description is fuzzy and it would be much more clear if it was "infinity focus adjustment"

Reactions: NickU
Hmmm, I wish DJI would change the option description, it's misleading and is such a red-herring :(

You guys are aware that the focus calibration is only in effect for manual focus and simply sets the fast jump focus setting for the near and infinity points for the focus slider icons - (or for the focus wheel) i.e. When you touch the far/near icon at the top/bottom of the manual focus slider it 'jumps' to that setting.

It doesn't 'calibrate'/'microfocus adjust' and store a profile of the lens for use in autofocus like you can do on DSLR's.

(This is the same for both the X5 and the X5S.)
Well, you are a bit late to the party. This has been a well known fact for years!! I personally find this to be a valuable feature though agree that the naming could be clearer. From my experience the AF is inconsistent and unreliable. In 99% situations I shoot in MF by tapping the infinity mark achieving consistently sharp results with 15mm and 12mm lens. Therefore a proper and accurate "lens calibration" plays important role, IMHO. Unless of course you need to shoot something really close and wide open with 45mm lens. Then you would hope that the AF will focus accurately or focus manually by either the dedicated focus knob on Cendence or using the scale in GO4. In any case it is reasuring knowing that I do not need to rely on the DJI ancient AF system to achieve sharp photos and videos each and every time by tapping on the infinity mark. BTW the AF is totally useless under low light and mostly misses the target. The calibration profile is stored for each lens. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMrdalj
If you're using the lens as MF all the time, why bother using the Dji mess at all, simply do your focus tests once (while on the ground) and physically mark up each lens with its infinity focus? Then you can easily set the lens to MF and set infinity focus on the ground before flying. You could even set the lens to MF mode and tape the focus ring with insulating/gaffer tape if you wanted - I sometimes do that with my dslrs when I need to keep it locked in place when shooting motion control, night timelapse sequences or when using nd10+ filters for long exposure daytime shots.

If you're using the lens as MF all the time, why bother using the Dji mess at all, simply do your focus tests once (while on the ground) and physically mark up each lens with its infinity focus? Then you can easily set the lens to MF and set infinity focus on the ground before flying. You could even set the lens to MF mode and tape the focus ring with insulating/gaffer tape if you wanted - I sometimes do that with my dslrs when I need to keep it locked in place when shooting motion control, night timelapse sequences or when using nd10+ filters for long exposure daytime shots.
The focusing ring goes past infinity on most lenses and to accurately set it on the infinity notch does not necessarily render optimal infinity focus.You need to remember that all these Oly lenses are focus by wire. From my personal experience securing the focusing ring on infinity notch by tape does not render as accurate infinity focus as tapping on the infinity mark in GO4 subject to a properly calibrated lens. And I can switch from MF to AF in flight anytime if I really need to or want to?

Last edited:
I wasn't saying to use the lens's original infinity mark, do your own focus tests on the ground and mark your own setting.

Yup, you can't switch modes if you've set the lens itself to MF, but then there are lenses like the laowa 7.5 that are MF only - set'n forget works for me with that one ;) (ok, set'n pray ;) - I have to tweak it occasionally :D)

I wasn't saying to use the lens's original infinity mark, do your own focus tests on the ground and mark your own setting.

Yup, you can't switch modes if you've set the lens itself to MF, but then there are lenses like the laowa 7.5 that are MF only - set'n forget works for me with that one ;) (ok, set'n pray ;) - I have to tweak it occasionally :D)
One can argue that on such WA lens the depth of field is so huge that everything from probably 1m to infinity will be in focus no matter what distance the focusing ring is set to. Anyway, I just wanted to share my 2c worth of personal experience. If you are happy with whatever gives you the desired results, keep doing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla