Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Calibrating compass from a wheelchair

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an unique spin on a pretty common question. I don't usually just creep and not post on message boards so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong... lol

I'm paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair and wondering if I need to continue having a second person around to do the compass calibration or if I can just do it myself. Holding the drone in one hand and spinning my chair with the other is no problem but I've never known if my chair would cause interference with the calibration. It's pretty much 100% titanium other than a few nuts and bolts. And how far away from a vehicle would you recommend being? Thanks for the help!

Hey Zack!!
Welcome to the forum!!
I'm not sure how titanium would effect the compass, but I say you'll never know until you try!!
So go to a field with plenty of room and try calibrating your compass..
Calibrate it and check mod values ..I believe they should be around 1400..
Here's the thing once you lift off you'll be able to tell if your i1 is behaving correctly..just hover about 20 to 30 feet off the ground in GPS and check to see if it hovers in place..if not start over..
Also when u launch be directly behind your i1 and make sure the pointer in the radar is pointing the same direction as you and your i1 are..If it isn't start over..
Another thing is check your rth when its out 100 ft high and 100 ft away ..activate it on your controller ..
As it heads back to the home point cancel the rth and then you should be good to go.??
Try and give yourself a minimum of 15 feet away from a vehicle..
Happy flying!!
Turbo....

Thanks for the advice! The i1 should be here Wednesday. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Ya man!! Go for it!!!
Make sure you do your compass calibration as smooth as possible throughout the entire process..
Nose out 360 then down 360 ..
You can do it clockwise or counterclockwise.. Just pick a direction that works for you..I do mine counterclockwise..
Also if this is going to be your first flight you may want to have your co pilot do it so you get off to a good start..
But I feel if you follow the instructions you should be OK..
I'm sure some guys might not agree but Im guessing you want to do it yourself...
IMO the compass calibration is the most important part of pre flight procedures so keep that in mind..
Most of the issues we hear about derive from it IMO ..
Make sure you've read and understand the Manuel..
You can download it from the dji website..
Good luck Zach!!
Turbo....

I would definitely NOT do that.
It's recommended not even to have a wallet on you or wear a watch when calibrating the compass.

If the big metal hunk the chair and its accessories is disturbs it you won't see it until you put the Inspire down and move away as the calibration would have compensated for it for when you're still holding it, and even so will be hard to detect.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to try, but be sure you can fly well in ATTI mode and think quickly enough to change mode if it does strange things.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Hey Zack! !
You heard it from Kilrah. .
He's much more knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the i1 so keep that in mind ..
And of course he wouldn't do it ..he's not in a chair..
Keep in mind that you will be taking a risk to see if it works or not..
I'm pretty sure that it's important for you to be able to operate your i1 independently..
..here's some info on titanium. .
Screenshot_2015-05-11-00-40-45.png

Last edited:
Since I've stepped out on a limb why stop now..
I'm assuming you have two options ,as to how you'll go about doing the calibration ,as long as you can spin in both positions..
One is by the side of your chair and the other is above your head..
Not sure which way would be better but my guess is above your head..
Turbo....

Thanks again for all the advice. The Inspire arrives tomorrow and I won't be attempting it on my own anytime real soon if at all. I do have another question though... When I was flying my P2V+ I would only do a calibration when changing location by around 30 miles or more. 90% of my airtime is with a 5 mile radius of where I would normally do a calibration. Never had a single problem with this approach on the P2V+. Is this still the case with the i1?

Reactions: flyersgirl
Hey Zack!!
Seems to need to be calibrated when you move even a small distance..
I believe one pilot had a malfunction from just moving 1.5 km away..
He didn't do anything different except not calibrate his compass..
When you get familiar with you i1 and you want to try a compass calibration do it in a spot you know you can get a good calibration..
Then hold the i1 in your hand from the bottom, where it balances out ,as high above your head as possible ..
Then spin counterclockwise 360 till the light turns green ,then tilt it over with its nose pointing down ,spin another 360 and set it down..
I can visualize you doing it!!
Let me know how it turns out !!
Good luck Zack!!!
Turbo,,,

Reactions: flyersgirl
Hey Zack!!
Seems to need to be calibrated when you move even a small distance..
I believe one pilot had a malfunction from just moving 1.5 km away..
He didn't do anything different except not calibrate his compass..
When you get familiar with you i1 and you want to try a compass calibration do it in a spot you know you can get a good calibration..
Then hold the i1 in your hand from the bottom, where it balances out ,as high above your head as possible ..
Then spin counterclockwise 360 till the light turns green ,then tilt it over with its nose pointing down ,spin another 360 and set it down..
I can visualize you doing it!!
Let me know how it turns out !!
Good luck Zack!!!
Turbo,,,
I flew about 5 minutes yesterday (somebody else calibrated) and holy sh!t!!! Makes P2V+ feel like a wal-mart toy. I'm gonna get more familiar in GPS mode then get comfortable with ATTI since I never used it with the P2V+. Then I'll try solo calibration. Thanks again

I flew about 5 minutes yesterday (somebody else calibrated) and holy sh!t!!! Makes P2V+ feel like a wal-mart toy. I'm gonna get more familiar in GPS mode then get comfortable with ATTI since I never used it with the P2V+. Then I'll try solo calibration. Thanks again

Hi Zack. I am also in a wheelchair and have a Phantom 3 Advanced on the way and am curious how you made out with your Calibration? Did you just get a friend/partner to do it for you? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

I'm not sure if this helps but Titanium (TI) is a non ferrous, non magnetic, alloy like Aluminum.

You are close MichaelS.... Titanium is actually Paramagnetic and a definition

Basically TI can be attracted to an external applied magnetic field, and will form and internal induced magnetic file in the direction of the applied field.

That being said it is no where as magnetic as lead or other metals. Should you be OK in the wheelchair, Probably..... Would I error on the side of caution if I had the chance, most definitely.

In reply to Zach, I notice you said paralyzed but you did not mention to what extent. With out getting too personal if you would like to share, what mobility do you have? My thought is that a wooden/plastic tray/holder could probably be built to fit your chair and allow for you to calibrate yourself. I am just assuming here, but if you are flying and from some of your wording I have a feeling that this might be a waist down paralysis. If this is the case I would love to work with you to help design something that could allow you to unpack to flight unassisted. I'm sure some others from the community here would be willing to throw in some time too.

Again I am not trying to get personal at all and if I crossed a line, just let me know. I have thick skin as I am typically an ******* and get an earful all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo