Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can the X3 be mounted on an Inspire Pro without modification?

Reaction score
I've been an owner of a Phantom 3 Professional for quite a while recently experiencing a catastrophic loss upon takeoff therefore, contemplating on an upgrade. In any event, I'm looking to purchase an Inspire 1 Pro however, I was curious as to whether or not the X3 camera is interchangeable with the X5 mount. I understand the X5 camera requires a special mounting bracket when attaching to a standard Inspire 1 but not sure if the X3 will in fact fit on the bracket that comes already installed on the Pro.

Last edited:
I've been an owner of a Phantom 3 Professional for quite a while recently experiencing a catastrophic loss upon takeoff therefore, contemplating on an upgrade. In any event, I'm looking to purchase an Inspire 1 Pro however, I was curious as to whether or not the X3 camera is interchangeable with the X5 mount. I understand the X5 camera requires a special mounting bracket when attaching to a standard Inspire 1 but not sure if the X3 will in fact fit on the bracket that comes already installed on the Pro.
Freely interchangeable (providing it's an Inspire Pro or it at least has the X5 mounting plate on it)

Thanks for confirming. After spending nearly a 1/2 hour on the phone with B&H, they said it could not be swapped as easily as you indicate. I appreciate your prompt response!!!

Thanks for confirming. After spending nearly a 1/2 hour on the phone with B&H, they said it could not be swapped as easily as you indicate. I appreciate your prompt response!!!
Providing your firmware is up to date and you have the X5 gimbal plate on the Inspire you can swap them backwards and forwards all day long (making sure you power down between swapping obviously)
The firmware will detect what camera is fitted and initialize accordingly.

Reactions: jon b and CCDD
Excellent question, thanks for asking, been wondering that very same thing myself.

I have a Inspire Pro X5, and wondered about buying a used X3 to keep as a spare (call it an insurance policy)

I had an issue last year with a Phantom 3 when transporting it to a Caribbean island. Gimbal motor separated while in the custody of the airline bagage handlers. :-(
Long story short, I found myself on a tropical island not being able to fly.
I never realized how fragile the stupid gimbal / ribbon cables are on those birds.

I just don't want to find myself in the same situation again. Not being able to fly for the sake of not having some simple spare part I could have had on hand.
Having a spare camera even if it wasn't a spare X5, would save the day.
(personal use only, nothing professional here) :)

This next part, I should maybe start a new thread about, but...

What spare parts would anybody suggest we have on hand for "mishaps" that could happen while traveling?
What are Inspire owners finding are items that are more likely to need repairing/replacing.

PS: First post, have been lurking for a long time. Thanks to everybody for all the great information.

Glad my first question was good one!!! In regards to making sure you have all you need aside from batteries, I would make sure to carry and extra charger. You won't be finding one for sale or likely anyone else traveling with one while in a remote spot.

What spare parts would anybody suggest we have on hand for "mishaps" that could happen while traveling?
What are Inspire owners finding are items that are more likely to need repairing/replacing.

PS: First post, have been lurking for a long time. Thanks to everybody for all the great information.
If it is just for travelling/fun and not commercial, then in addition to the things mentioned above I would suggest an assortment of ND Filters for differing light conditions and always have some lens cleaning fluid/microfibre cloths with you.
Spare Memory cards
A good sunshade for the tablet(s) (especially if you are travelling to sunny countries)!
Two spare props (one CW and one CW)
A small hex screwdriver to fit the screws on the Inspire.
That should do you for holiday travels. :)

If it is just for travelling/fun and not commercial, then in addition to the things mentioned above I would suggest an assortment of ND Filters for differing light conditions and always have some lens cleaning fluid/microfibre cloths with you.
Spare Memory cards
A good sunshade for the tablet(s) (especially if you are travelling to sunny countries)!
Two spare props (one CW and one CW)
A small hex screwdriver to fit the screws on the Inspire.
That should do you for holiday travels. :)

Thanks for the replies. (to the hijacked thread -> sorry)

You know, I didn't even consider the battery charger.
I was more focused on breakable items on the Inspire itself.
Very good point, I'll be sure to scoop a spare charger.

I already know to have appropriate tools to take apart stuff to a certain extent.
Have several RC-hoods depending on what iPad I happen to want to use.
Polar Pro 6 pack filters, several batteries, couple sets of 1345Ts, microfiber and lens solution.
But these are all just common things to actually use the Inspire.

I was thinking like battery tray. Its always the first thing to go in a semi-hard landing.
I don't know if that is true or not, but that is kind of what I was looking to the longer term owners to chime in and offer experiences with.
Whats the most likely thing to get messed up.
Are the gimbal motors on the X5 as prone to separation as the silly things are on the phantom 3s.

Like my original comment, I'm ok dropping a couple hundred on a X3 camera (as a spare) if the X5 has been shown to be problematic.
If its rock solid unless you drop the bird from 400ft, then I'll save my money. :)

And in my case, 90% of my flight time (while south) will be out over salt water.
So if I drop it there, might just as well save the carbon fiber bits for someone, and toss the rest. :-(

I'm not worried about someone hijacking my thread, your information is helpful therefore, type away. I did in fact purchase an Inspire 1 Pro tonight and look forward to receiving and flying it early next week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont