Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cannot get Inspire 1 into travel mode

Reaction score
I seem to have a little problem to get my inspire into travelmode. When i flip the rth home switch 4 times then it raises the legs like in fly mode - sensor touch floor, and it lowers the legs again. Have any off you had this problem?

I also tried to go in to DJI GO and put it in travel mode, but same result.

Edit: Problem solved - it was due to floor - I was trying to take it to transport mode on carpet!

Last edited:
ive had that problem as well, apparently the sensors on the bottom arent very accurate and dont detect the floor, especially if its a solid color. try a different colored surface or one with a pattern of some sort, it should be able to see that better and work correctly.

Reactions: Busch
ive had that problem as well, apparently the sensors on the bottom arent very accurate and dont detect the floor, especially if its a solid color. try a different colored surface or one with a pattern of some sort, it should be able to see that better and work correctly.

Thank you very much for your reply - I will try that when i get back to office tomorrow - had to leave it due to this issue :/

Im not 100% sure but if you are running newer firmware/app version there may also be an option in the app settings menu to enter travel mode, im running an older version and dont have that feature in my app. Using a different surface worked for me though, and it would consistently fail every time on the same surface maybe working 1 in 10 times, on the new surface i used it worked perfect every time.

Im not 100% sure but if you are running newer firmware/app version there may also be an option in the app settings menu to enter travel mode, im running an older version and dont have that feature in my app. Using a different surface worked for me though, and it would consistently fail every time on the same surface maybe working 1 in 10 times, on the new surface i used it worked perfect every time.

I run the latest FW and the new app DJI GO, and there is an option to put the AC in travelmode but it gave the same result. But i hope that the surface is the issue.

interesting. i wouldve thought that using the app would let it know the arm position and enter travel mode correctly, but apparently not then huh. Unless you crashed or damaged it somehow id pretty much guarantee that the surface is the issue.

I was not flying, but upgrading firmware. Then when i was packing down it did not want to go to travelmode.

I think it uses the sonar / ultrasonic sensors on the bottom to detect the surface for precision altitude measurement, so if you're on a surface which absorbs that, it won't detect it. Especially if the sensors touch the surface, that may be the problem, since in travel mode they should be a centimeter or two above the surface, NOT touching it. Be sure it's on a hard surface that will reflect sound waves, not a carpet or something similar.

mTp

I think it uses the sonar / ultrasonic sensors on the bottom to detect the surface for precision altitude measurement, so if you're on a surface which absorbs that, it won't detect it. Especially if the sensors touch the surface, that may be the problem, since in travel mode they should be a centimeter or two above the surface, NOT touching it. Be sure it's on a hard surface that will reflect sound waves, not a carpet or something similar.

mTp

Yes, it was on office carpet, I will try it again tomorrow on a hardwood floor. Hope it works - or else i might be the first noob that broke the inspire "even before" first flight :confused:

Reactions: Terry G
If it still touches the surface on a hardwood floor (or linoleum, or tile), then'd I'd guess the sonar unit is DOA and needs to be replaced.

mTp

If it still touches the surface on a hardwood floor (or linoleum, or tile), then'd I'd guess the sonar unit is DOA and needs to be replaced.

mTp

When i just received the packet with post i started it up here at home, on hardwood floor, and here it worked ok - so i have a serious hope that it will help - just didnt come to my head that the floor could be the problem :(

I've never had an issue transforming on hardwood floor. If that doesn't work, place it on top of your case and transform it there. That's what you should do when transforming out in the field if you don't have a table or something to use.

Ofcourse - on the case :) thanks for the tip

mTp
ah, thats quite possible. Good info. I thought it used the camera to detect patterns but maybe thats for to hold position when flying indoors now that i think about it. my failure issues occurred on dark colored carpet, but it did work on light color carpet.

ah, thats quite possible. Good info. I thought it used the camera to detect patterns but maybe thats for to hold position when flying indoors now that i think about it. my failure issues occurred on dark colored carpet, but it did work on light color carpet.
Ironic enough did my failure also happend on a dark blue carpet

Mine fails all the time on carpet. I now do Ito. The case it came with, or tile. That seems to have fixed the issue. The carpet is nice thick, bedroom carpet. I forgot which type.

Just for noobs like me, then DJI clearly state in their video "unboxing and preparing for safe flight" do not unlock or lock travelmode when you are on a carpeted surface!

I have watched this video several times, and just never paid close attention to exactly that part (that was mistake number 1), I just went to panic mode when such a simple thing as put the bird to travel mode didnt succed. Thank to all those who helped, REALLY apriciate this forum and all those who are willing to help us newbies!! It was the carpet that was the issue - all work perfect, now its just left to fly and enjoy!

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Travel mood is easy,just throw it in the trash and never look back at what a fool you where to waste your money on dji crap.
I am sorry that you feel like a fool for your investment. But eventuelt you will get over it :cool:

I am sorry that you feel like a fool for your investment. But eventuelt you will get over it :cool:
I agree with you @Busch, The problem is that every now and then there will come a situation where the Inspire 1 is more intelligent than the pilot!
The pilot then becomes resentful of the Inspire 1 and does everything he can to drag it down to his level, but of course, the Inspire 1 is then at a disadvantage because the pilot will have many years of experience at being stupid!!

I agree with you @Busch, The problem is that every now and then there will come a situation where the Inspire 1 is more intelligent than the pilot!
The pilot then becomes resentful of the Inspire 1 and does everything he can to drag it down to his level, but of course, the Inspire 1 is then at a disadvantage because the pilot will have many years of experience at being stupid!!
LoL true true!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth