Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Changes to Low Battery Return to Home in the new Firmware v1.3.0

I'll try to answer you questions.

1. The Smart RTH is calculated as the power required to get from the current aircraft position, climb to the Failsafe Height (user set), return to the HP and land. It is indicated by the Yellow Dot with the H on the power line. It will move to the right the further you are away from the HP and to the left as you return to the HP.

2. The Low Battery Warning and Critical Battery Warning are set my the user in the Battery panel. They default to 30% and 10% respectively: the lowest you want to set these is 25% and 10%. When the LBW is triggered you get a red flashing status panel and a verbal warning. The battery percentage also turns red. You need to plan to return to your landing site when you get this warning. If you are a long way from the HP the Smart RTH can activate before you get the warning. When the CBW triggers you will get the announcement and warning that the aircraft will land in 10 secs. You can cancel this if you are about to land but you don't have much flying time left.

3. I am not sure I fully understand your question. When the Smart RTH activates you will see the red circle and white cross bouncing on the left side. You can cancel the RTH by tapping this button. Alternatively, you can cancel any RTH by pressing the RC RTH button (properly the easiest way) or by flicking the RC PAF switch to ATTI and back to P-GPS.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Thanks, Scotflieger.

The 1.3 firmware update "Added option to enable or disable Low Battery RTH feature." Is that the "Smart Go Home". If this feature is disabled what does it effect.? Does it effect Low Battery RTH and signal lost? Does it hide the pop-up notifications to override the RTH?

Thanks, Scotflieger.

The 1.3 firmware update "Added option to enable or disable Low Battery RTH feature." Is that the "Smart Go Home". If this feature is disabled what does it effect.? Does it effect Low Battery RTH and signal lost? Does it hide the pop-up notifications to override the RTH?
Yes, the Smart Go Home is now user selectable when you don't want it to happen. Deselecting it simply stops it working. This would be used where you intend to land away from the take off site or HP.

The Critical Low Battery response is to land immediately at the current location. It does not create a RTH (climb/fly to HP/land) but does display a dialog offering the option to cancel. Some users have reported that when landing a place other than the HP that the Smart RTH, if triggered, can cause the aircraft to climb and head towards the HP (in some cases flying into trees). If you are in the process of landing is important to cancel any automatic land/RTH functions.

Reactions: DrSeuss
Well after reading this thread I have to admit that I am a little infuriated right now. I had an almost identical experience to the OP. I wanted to fly 30 more feet from under a canopy about 6 weeks ago. I had 2.5 minutes of battery left and needed to move 30 feet to a safe landing location. The thing took off like a bat out of hell straight up into the tree canopy. 10 seconds... Not enough time in a critical situation, especially when it really isn't 10 seconds. It was accelerating upward during that time. It came down in pieces. I swept it up and mailed it off...

I just got an invoice from DJI for $1048.00 to repair my Inspire 1. It's not that I mind the invoice, but I thought from the beginning this was a flawed feature. Now I find our that it was admittedly flawed by that fact that DJI has made a firmware change to resolve this stupid behavior. I really don't think it was fair in this situation that I should have to pay the full boat when it was in fact a flawed design.

I can't wait to get it back and I seriously hope that it at least performs and looks better than new. Here's to hoping!

That is disappointing to hear FlymeaRiver. I agree, DJI should take some accountability for this flaw. What good is a 10 second warning if the craft starts acting autonomously before the time expires? All users should be sensitive to this behavior, especially since it is common for people to fly off the last of the battery charge while flying. I recommend anyone trying to run down a battery below the low-battery level just do it while the craft is on the ground. Never fly with a low battery where there is anything other than clear unobstructed skies!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Well after reading this thread I have to admit that I am a little infuriated right now. I had an almost identical experience to the OP. I wanted to fly 30 more feet from under a canopy about 6 weeks ago. I had 2.5 minutes of battery left and needed to move 30 feet to a safe landing location. The thing took off like a bat out of hell straight up into the tree canopy. 10 seconds... Not enough time in a critical situation, especially when it really isn't 10 seconds. It was accelerating upward during that time. It came down in pieces. I swept it up and mailed it off...

I just got an invoice from DJI for $1048.00 to repair my Inspire 1. It's not that I mind the invoice, but I thought from the beginning this was a flawed feature. Now I find our that it was admittedly flawed by that fact that DJI has made a firmware change to resolve this stupid behavior. I really don't think it was fair in this situation that I should have to pay the full boat when it was in fact a flawed design.

I can't wait to get it back and I seriously hope that it at least performs and looks better than new. Here's to hoping!
I too am sorry to hear about this. The Smart RTH logic warning and Critical Battery Warning have to be acknowledged or acted on if you are at a critical stage in the flight. It is the case that by the time the voice announces "10 secs" half this time has already expired. The new option to select Smart RTH on or off confused me at first as I did not know what Smart RTH was. I had to re-read the manual. However, it is essential that this option is switched off if you intend to fly in forests or under the tree canopy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg